Change of Ad Provider

Dark0ne

I really appreciate that you guys are trying to address this. Nexus is the only website that I allow through my adblocker and when there's autoplaying audio, I have to temporarily re-block the site. Hopefully the situation continues to improve!

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind people trying to make money with ads on their sites, especially if the content they offer is free. Ads are part of the internet as they are on the streets, and why should someone giving space for others in the internet receive less income from it, that those who do it on their properties.

But I really appreciate that you seem to care about what is seen on the ads... unlike in real life, the control over these things is much harder and the danger from malware or worse is always there.

Good to hear, that you're not one of those, that only care about the cash and don't give a damn about where it came from.

I turned off the adblocker, only to be attacked by a Virus eight times during my visit, and ads with loud sounds screaming in my headphones. Worst was when it caused Firefox to crash. Every time I visit your website my computer gets a virus. I may get a premium if it avoids me seeing ads, but no.. I am not turning off adblocker in till this is fixed. Sorry.. i don´t have the money to replace my computer if I get a really bad virus. :-( And don´t act like it can´t happen. My PC crashed when I got a virus from an ad earlier this year on a anime website. Thankfully I got it restored.

Suppose you will tell me to get a better virus software. And I have the best , that I even paid for. Some virus are just sneaky.

Edited by zhoulia

Thank you, and it's about time!

I've had my adblocker turned on so long that I missed the entire two months of ad reporting, otherwise you would have had another 50+ reports of sucky ads bogging down the entire browser and often freezing it, rage-inducing autoplay videos with high volume, etc. It was intolerable and I felt bad that I was forced to use adblock on such a great site, but I couldn't afford the alternative Premium membership.

I'll be whitelisting Nexus again and crossing my fingers that I won't have to reinstate it with this new ad provider.

Edited by RoastedCoconutz

This is a new account after I left Nexus because of the previous advertising content and policies. Coming back, because Nexus has many mods which are only published here, I immediately paid for No Ads.

Consider, though, that providing payment info to a website is as dangerous, in many cases, as unscrupulous advertising. Nexus has been hacked in the past, for instance, as have major retailers and banks. I left before, not because of the actual cost of No Ads, but because I am unwilling to give websites access to my payment (credit card) information. (I got a $25 pre-paid card just to enroll here and, no, I don't buy things on-line; I'm a supporter of my local economy when possible.)

There is a certain naivete evident in the expressed surprise at current advertising content and methods. Its hard to believe any Internet user, let alone a website owner, is not aware of current Internet advertising processes and methodology.

You are absolutely correct that ad-blockers and new ad-blocked browsers are caused by the advertisers, themselves. Unfortunately, they don't take hints and now we get things like Windows 10 which bundles data collection and advertising into the OS itself.

Good luck on your search for a responsible advertiser. I doubt one exists, because of the competition in the industry, but you might luck out in the short term. In the long run, though, you'll have to strike up a deal with Microsoft; they finally admitted to themselves where the money in contemporary home computing is at.

Having been in your shoes myself, I can completely empathize with you. That said, I have absolutely no regrets paying for a lifetime membership on this site and the no ads benefit wasn't even a top factor.

To see that you are proactive in dealing with the scourge that bad ad networks foist on unsuspecting web site operators gives me absolute confidence in knowing that my purchase of a lifetime membership was worth every penny.

Well done!

In response to post #37634440.

notmyhome wrote: Good on ya for owning up and taking action.
But allow me to ask, how did you not know about the ads before? It's not like you couldn't try using the site from a few different devices yourself.

Mine was always fine. Ads are always geotargetted. As I live in the south west of England, it's not exactly an affluent area of the world to target. Ergo, I would see different ads to someone who lives in London or LA, for example.

On top of that, before we made a dedicated system for reporting ads we'd receive one or two reports a week. That was it. Which could easily be dismissed as people who were already infected with malware or as "one-offs". 8,500 reports, however, cannot be dismissed. At all. Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #37636375.

GaronII wrote: This is a new account after I left Nexus because of the previous advertising content and policies. Coming back, because Nexus has many mods which are only published here, I immediately paid for No Ads.

Consider, though, that providing payment info to a website is as dangerous, in many cases, as unscrupulous advertising. Nexus has been hacked in the past, for instance, as have major retailers and banks. I left before, not because of the actual cost of No Ads, but because I am unwilling to give websites access to my payment (credit card) information. (I got a $25 pre-paid card just to enroll here and, no, I don't buy things on-line; I'm a supporter of my local economy when possible.)

There is a certain naivete evident in the expressed surprise at current advertising content and methods. Its hard to believe any Internet user, let alone a website owner, is not aware of current Internet advertising processes and methodology.

You are absolutely correct that ad-blockers and new ad-blocked browsers are caused by the advertisers, themselves. Unfortunately, they don't take hints and now we get things like Windows 10 which bundles data collection and advertising into the OS itself.

Good luck on your search for a responsible advertiser. I doubt one exists, because of the competition in the industry, but you might luck out in the short term. In the long run, though, you'll have to strike up a deal with Microsoft; they finally admitted to themselves where the money in contemporary home computing is at.

Nexus never handles the payment info themselves. It's all done through paypal. Which is... hopefully... as secure as it gets.