Change of Ad Provider

Dark0ne

In response to post #37621365.

sheson wrote: The true alternative is to only traffic ads yourself on your own ad server. If you had your own sales people selling campaigns on a commission basis the ad networks with their low CPMs are just a nuisance to fill left over inventory until you do not need them anymore.

Obviously this is not something you do overnight. But if you are really forced to switch ad networks again and again, it might be something to consider in the long run.

This^^, totally agree mate.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boss move! Truth is, your hesitation to approach and talk about the ads problem for a long time is what allowed the ones on the nexus to be so bad (even compared to other sites). I can not tell you how much I appreciate that you get into this and get your hands dirty. See, this is where you are wrong: This was hands down the most sexy ad talk I ever read. I wish more sites would follow this route. Edited by Gruftlord

In response to post #37622915. #37623255, #37623405, #37623630 are all replies on the same post.

FurAfterDark wrote: Waaaait, there was ads that had the possibility of giving people viruses??? that's a little unnerving lol
mannygt wrote: Yes, especially mobile devices where some ads can activate unwanted "premium services" on your phone number without your agreement even if you close the banner. It's happened to me months ago where I discovered a payment of 5€ on my SIM for an unwanted service.
Psijonica wrote: Are you kidding? It is the one of the top ways you get viruses.
Madcat221 wrote: This is why I don't call it an "ad blocker", but a "malware vector blocker".

In any case, I'm a Perma-Prem here, so my malware vector blocker isn't needed here.

Yeeeah, that REALLY makes me wanna disable ad-block lol

This is wonderful news. I mean, it doesn't directly effect me, because I don't see ads on the site anyway, but I remember how god-awful they were before I went premium. I was running Adblock for a while, because the ads here were literally intolerable, and I'm glad to see that doing that won't be necessary if you have anything to say about it. Hopefully this new provider realizes they need to be careful or be shot down by the ad reports.

Sadly this is why I have adblock enabled on the nexus. My first visit to the site I got hit with malware from the add run. I chalked it up to bad luck but when it happened again I discovered ABP and have pretty much refused to disable it since.

It's good to hear that you have the data now to back up the complaints from users and are taking it seriously, but at the same time to have users mock those that made mention of the adds being malware in the past still leaves a bad taste.

In response to post #37618235. #37618805 is also a reply to the same post.

jim_uk wrote: My Premium upgrade has been worth every penny and more, all of this has passed me by unnoticed.
PlagueHush wrote: This :D

Exactly. I am glad to hear that standard users won't be having these problems though. I was one of them once, and the ads were literally intolerable.

Thank you!

I had to place an Ad-blocker on my phone. 2 dozen websites on my phone, no one else had the popup problem you had. The Nexus site was unusable, otherwise.

Always closed browser before playing game, because of audio auto-plays. No other bookmarked site has this problem.

Again, thank you.

Been a perma-premium for quite some, so I wasn't aware there was an issue, but thanks for making a post about it. Keeping the community up-to-date on things, even as mundane as Ads and whatnot is a great thing. It's appreciated and hopefully the new provider will be better for non-supporter/premium users. Thank you!

What about those that have their adblocker's set to show non-intrusive advertising (which I think means non annoying, and/or safe ads shown)? Should they just whitelist the site when the new provider goes live, or will they not need to worry if the other provider is better and serving quality ads (meaning the non-intrusive ads are shown)? Granted I got premium a while back, so I don't get ads now, so I guess it doesn't directly apply, but I suppose it could for the short time I'm logged out.

Anyways this is some good news, and I wish more sites would do this thing, this whole transparency (I think that's the word) thing you have done and still do. I think I've seen only one other website mention it was switching ad provider's for the benefits and safety of their users. Hopefully things will get better on your end as well, from the switch.

If the service is as bad as you say (and it sounds like it is in fact utter garbage) then it wouldn't be wrong to name names. These people clearly don't deserve anyone's business, and it might be helpful to let everyone know which ad service not to use if they're ever in a similar position themselves.