Heads up: New Nexus site design soon

Dark0ne

I'm aware that a lot of you probably don't read the sporadic blog posts I add to the site. Over the past few months I've been detailing my plans and examples of a new Nexus site design that is going to be rolled out soon .

Rather than throw this at you without any warning I just wanted to post up this little article to give you a heads up, to show you what I'm going to be moving the sites over to, waylay some fears, and take on as much feedback as possible.

The new site design can be seen here for TESNexus. It's using live data and you can actually use the site as a replacement for TESNexus from now until the move over as all the main functionality (viewing files, downloading files, adding files, images, etc. etc.) is working on the site.

This new design is the first step in a long line of updates coming to the network designed to make everything better. It's the first, necessary move in a long line of scheduled improvements to the network from the ground up. All the functionality that you like is still going to be here, but I don't think there's one area that isn't going to be touched in the coming months. And maybe best of all the connection errors you might be getting at peak times will be a thing of the past soon enough.

In regards to timing I'm actually going to be doing a little bit of travelling for the next few weeks, catching up with friends and handling some other affairs, but I'm aiming for an end of August switch-over to this new design on all the Nexus sites. It's not going to be an "either/or" scenario where you can choose which design you want to use, it's going to be a straight switch to the new design. The old design is going to the gutter where it belongs.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised by most of the feedback that has been offered from users posting on my blog posts in regards to the new design and I've been listening to your concerns and either made or planned to make some changes based on the feedback I've received. If you don't like something or think something can be improved then I'm all ears, but if you just don't like it, period, then there's not much I'm going to be able to do for you.

If you're interested in the design process, the reasoning behind it and my plans for the Nexus's future then I'd recommend catching up on my blog posts. I don't post often, but when I do it tends to be an essay, so I hope you like reading!

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't really like that layout but that just me its good to see that nexus continues to expands more and more love this site check it twice a day ^^ and i read the blogs two :O good job dark would it be easier just to add a option to choice what kind of layout we can use just a question ^.^ don't got to answer just wondering lol well closing works love the site love the mods great work and keep up the good work

I think its great. It looks neat and fresh..seems to work well and is easy to find the stuff even for me...obviously you have put a great deal of thought and work into this. Congrats to you!

Though personally, I am not a big fan of orange....it sure does stand out *rubs eyeballs* which I guess...is probably the idea. *wink* Just gotta remember to brace myself for it when I check on here first thing in the mornings before the coffee kicks in. >.>

Well done and thank you again.

I took a look at the new layout on TESNexus. At first blush I was underwhelmed, but after a few seconds of navigating, It is quite an upgrade.

I think my initial reaction was that it is 'new' and change is always difficult. However the new layout is quite user friendly, it is logical and has all the right information at the users fingertips. I think it will be a good and functional and attractive improvement

Also, the global sign in will be a blessing. Great idea.

Edited by Thasic

I have to say that, aesthetically, I, uh, don't actually like it very much. At all.

But it's certainly fine functionally, progress and change are good, and I'm sure it's a change I'll soon get happily used to!

Looks really, really nice! :D

Though the orange does give it a Half-life-ish look.. (orange box anyone? :P)

The new layout will take some time to get used to for me. But then again, i had the same thing when i tried to find my way around the current site :)

I'm eager to see the new looks up and running! :D

I am glad you said the color wasn't set in stone. I think it is too bright. I think that if it is matched with the current, more tannish-yellow orange of the current (old?) TES Nexus site, that would be enough and bring some continuity. I like that the current (old?) sites have different colors. I know without even having to concentrate which Nexus site I am on due to the color. I hope that continues.

The file images.....0_o....are all the authors going to have to restructure their primary image to keep it from being warped? or is that something that will be fixed? An amazing amount of the images are warped now that I saw while looking at the mods page by page.

I am sorry to see the "full page" part going away. It will waste almost half of my screen. That was one of the things that I didn't/don't like about the BSN. Skinning the unused area is fine I guess but it reminds me of old, outdated stuff like watching old 4:3 formatted television shows on my new 16:9 LCD 50". I can understand your reasoning behind it....something that doesn't take 24/7 of your time and being compatible. I also know you aren't going to change it...so just saying. ;)

I am excited to have less or no "my sqrl" connection errors. I can get used to anything and that will definitely take some getting used too.

*EDIT*

BTW, what is this in the upper left corner? It only happens if I hit the home page button or am navigating to the page for the first time. It only happens for a second but if I am fast enough, clicking on the stuff opens pages. There doesn't seem to be a way to open it up "normally".

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv318/XTR3M368/weridnexus.jpg

Edited by XTR3M368