The tall tales & tragedies of the Chattering Scroll Inn

myrmaad

Rhaine shrugged, "Very well. I thought steeds might be of use when trekking the frigid mountains of Skyrim, but suit yourself. I'm sure the opportunity will present itself should you change your minds. So," she took the glass of mead and raised it to her companions, "May Waukeen and Tymora grant us good fortune of both kinds." She downed the glass in one gulp, set it back on the table, then winked at Reona, "Perhaps, while I prepare Thanatos for our sojourn, you can use your feminine charms on the barkeep and ask him if he has heard anything about our undead foes in the north? And," she added to Kalin and Ellundil, "it wouldn't hurt to ask the other patrons as well. Tavern walls have ears, and this one has heard many a tale and tragedy, I am sure.

Ellundil rose from his seat and stretched a little, his joints popping, before drinking all of his mead at once and gently sliding his chair in its place under the table, "Before you turn in that key, Reona, I'd like to get the rest of my things from the room. Leaving them here would be a great folly."

"Oh, right," she replied, taking the key out of her pocket and placing it into Ellundil's right palm, and he patted the top of her head with his left hand before disappearing down the hallway.

Reona turned to Kalin and crossed her arms, "I do like the idea of having mythril armor, as it's very light, and my fighting style relies on my ability to move faster than the enemy. I'm strong enough to hold quite a bit of weight, but I do fatigue quickly if I have on anything that weighs much more than I do."

Ellundil returned a few moments later and tossed the key to Reona, "I think everything's in order now."

Her arm instinctively shot out and snatched the key from the air, so swiftly that the edges scratched her palm slightly. She walked to the bar and smiled warily at the Nord barkeep, setting the key down. The aura about him felt strange, almost as if he were an animal of some sort, and an extremely strong animal at that, which made her quite nervous.

"Hello, I'd like to return my room key. I did have a bit of difficulty with it, by the way. It's very worn and may be broken, but I'm not sure," she said, laughing nervously, heat blooming across her nose and cheeks, "I also have a few questions for you, if you wouldn't mind answering them. Well, they're about the... undead... in Skyrim. Have you noticed anything out of the ordinary up there?"

Noticing the Breton sitting near where she'd been standing, she jumped and curtsied, "Oh! So sorry if I was interrupting! My friends and I are just in a rush to leave, and I didn't notice that you two were talking. I'm usually not so careless, but we've had an eventful morning."

Arva laughed and sent out a thought to Rhaine, She's not too great at using those 'feminine charms', but she still wants you to listen in on this, just in case she does glean a bit of useful information.

The nord threw the bosmer a new key, took a deep breath and then started talking;

"The draugr? They smell bad, they look bad and they are nords who passed on a long time ago, if I were you, I would avoid them. And no, I haven't heard from, or been near, my homelands for so long that I doubt that the village i call home still exists. But I wouldn't mind helping a lady with her questions. I don't have anything better to do"

He then looked at the other customer at the counter, Redemin and said; "And I'm sorry my good sir, but I do not know any work for a person of your....interesting profession, but I think the legion might have need for a bounty hunter. I recomend asking the prison warden or the guard captain, they should know more about bounty hunting than me".

He looked at the bosmer again and leaned over the counter and said; "now, did you have any other questions?"

Rhaine frowned as she put the bit in Thanatos's mouth. That wasn't exactly what she was hoping to hear. She had studied up on the creatures of Tamriel when she had first arrived in the world of Nirn, and she already knew that draugr infested many Nordic barrows - much like elven baelnorn, or desert mummies. Although she would destroy them if she came across them, common draugr were not her targets.

It seemed that this particular Nord had been away from his home for too long to know of any recent undead development. She communicated a thought to Reona: Ask him if he has heard about any necromancers on the Skyrim side of the Jeralls.

Rhaine then began buckling the saddlebags behind the cantle, wondering if Kalin and Ellundil were having any better luck.

Ellundil knew he would simply kill over and die if he had to ride a horse. He would, not, ever, do, it, again. His recent control over his powers started to kick in, however, and his mind started to work. Ellundil was beginning to create his own spell, rather than attaining it through a random chain of events.

He made sure he had plenty of space (for he knew his magic went into mishap many times before this) and his runes began to glow - and shape themselves into something new.

The light around Ellundil began to glimmer and shimmer, like the morning sun rising over the ocean, and then, from the light grew a celestial steed that would bare Ellundil for the rest of his days, and without the unrest of a normal flesh-horse.

Ellundil, feeling enamored with vigor rode to the stables, and declared himself ready for the days, and adventures that lie ahead of him.

(Now, at this point in time Ellundil's hunting boots had laces that were bound to become untied at any second, barely hanging on, because he was NOT a very good KNOT expert; which one could infer that any other knots tied in such similar fashion could be less sturdy as the one being spoken of now, but surely that doesn't have anything to do with this story, right?)

Rhaine glanced up to see Ellundil astride a strange steed: it was a ghostly pale horse, almost transparent, shimmering softly with golden light. Well that's subtle, isn't it? she thought with a slight eye roll. The magical horse contrasted starkly with the shadowy cloak about the Altmer's shoulders, the two almost in a direct contradiction to one another.

She cinched the girth of Thanatos's saddle a little tighter, then lengthened the stirrups, "Well, I assume that since you are standing here you gleaned nothing at all from the other patrons? Oh, and," she jerked a thumb at his laces, "your boots are untied."

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhaine shrugged, "Very well. I thought steeds might be of use when trekking the frigid mountains of Skyrim, but suit yourself. I'm sure the opportunity will present itself should you change your minds. So," she took the glass of mead and raised it to her companions, "May Waukeen and Tymora grant us good fortune of both kinds." She downed the glass in one gulp, set it back on the table, then winked at Reona, "Perhaps, while I prepare Thanatos for our sojourn, you can use your feminine charms on the barkeep and ask him if he has heard anything about our undead foes in the north? And," she added to Kalin and Ellundil, "it wouldn't hurt to ask the other patrons as well. Tavern walls have ears, and this one has heard many a tale and tragedy, I am sure.

Ellundil rose from his seat and stretched a little, his joints popping, before drinking all of his mead at once and gently sliding his chair in its place under the table, "Before you turn in that key, Reona, I'd like to get the rest of my things from the room. Leaving them here would be a great folly."

"Oh, right," she replied, taking the key out of her pocket and placing it into Ellundil's right palm, and he patted the top of her head with his left hand before disappearing down the hallway.

Reona turned to Kalin and crossed her arms, "I do like the idea of having mythril armor, as it's very light, and my fighting style relies on my ability to move faster than the enemy. I'm strong enough to hold quite a bit of weight, but I do fatigue quickly if I have on anything that weighs much more than I do."

Ellundil returned a few moments later and tossed the key to Reona, "I think everything's in order now."

Her arm instinctively shot out and snatched the key from the air, so swiftly that the edges scratched her palm slightly. She walked to the bar and smiled warily at the Nord barkeep, setting the key down. The aura about him felt strange, almost as if he were an animal of some sort, and an extremely strong animal at that, which made her quite nervous.

"Hello, I'd like to return my room key. I did have a bit of difficulty with it, by the way. It's very worn and may be broken, but I'm not sure," she said, laughing nervously, heat blooming across her nose and cheeks, "I also have a few questions for you, if you wouldn't mind answering them. Well, they're about the... undead... in Skyrim. Have you noticed anything out of the ordinary up there?"

Noticing the Breton sitting near where she'd been standing, she jumped and curtsied, "Oh! So sorry if I was interrupting! My friends and I are just in a rush to leave, and I didn't notice that you two were talking. I'm usually not so careless, but we've had an eventful morning."

Arva laughed and sent out a thought to Rhaine, She's not too great at using those 'feminine charms', but she still wants you to listen in on this, just in case she does glean a bit of useful information.

The nord threw the bosmer a new key, took a deep breath and then started talking;

"The draugr? They smell bad, they look bad and they are nords who passed on a long time ago, if I were you, I would avoid them. And no, I haven't heard from, or been near, my homelands for so long that I doubt that the village i call home still exists. But I wouldn't mind helping a lady with her questions. I don't have anything better to do"

He then looked at the other customer at the counter, Redemin and said; "And I'm sorry my good sir, but I do not know any work for a person of your....interesting profession, but I think the legion might have need for a bounty hunter. I recomend asking the prison warden or the guard captain, they should know more about bounty hunting than me".

He looked at the bosmer again and leaned over the counter and said; "now, did you have any other questions?"

Rhaine frowned as she put the bit in Thanatos's mouth. That wasn't exactly what she was hoping to hear. She had studied up on the creatures of Tamriel when she had first arrived in the world of Nirn, and she already knew that draugr infested many Nordic barrows - much like elven baelnorn, or desert mummies. Although she would destroy them if she came across them, common draugr were not her targets.

It seemed that this particular Nord had been away from his home for too long to know of any recent undead development. She communicated a thought to Reona: Ask him if he has heard about any necromancers on the Skyrim side of the Jeralls.

Rhaine then began buckling the saddlebags behind the cantle, wondering if Kalin and Ellundil were having any better luck.

Ellundil knew he would simply kill over and die if he had to ride a horse. He would, not, ever, do, it, again. His recent control over his powers started to kick in, however, and his mind started to work. Ellundil was beginning to create his own spell, rather than attaining it through a random chain of events.

He made sure he had plenty of space (for he knew his magic went into mishap many times before this) and his runes began to glow - and shape themselves into something new.

The light around Ellundil began to glimmer and shimmer, like the morning sun rising over the ocean, and then, from the light grew a celestial steed that would bare Ellundil for the rest of his days, and without the unrest of a normal flesh-horse.

Ellundil, feeling enamored with vigor rode to the stables, and declared himself ready for the days, and adventures that lie ahead of him.

(Now, at this point in time Ellundil's hunting boots had laces that were bound to become untied at any second, barely hanging on, because he was NOT a very good KNOT expert; which one could infer that any other knots tied in such similar fashion could be less sturdy as the one being spoken of now, but surely that doesn't have anything to do with this story, right?)

Rhaine glanced up to see Ellundil astride a strange steed: it was a ghostly pale horse, almost transparent, shimmering softly with golden light. Well that's subtle, isn't it? she thought with a slight eye roll. The magical horse contrasted starkly with the shadowy cloak about the Altmer's shoulders, the two almost in a direct contradiction to one another.

She cinched the girth of Thanatos's saddle a little tighter, then lengthened the stirrups, "Well, I assume that since you are standing here you gleaned nothing at all from the other patrons? Oh, and," she jerked a thumb at his laces, "your boots are untied."

Seeing his companions obvious discontentment with his horse, his mood began to change. (Which at this point you should damn-well know changes the color of Ellundil's runes, so lets assume for the time being it changes to a nullified blue)

"Well... maybe now it'll be more inconspicuous."

"What about necromancers? On the Skyrim side of the Jerall Mountains, I mean," Reona said, crossing her arms and looking up at the Nord, feeling the strangeness of his aura. She then heard something Rhaine said to Ellundil, still connected to her mind, and her eyes grew wide.

"...Oh, and your boots are untied."

Reaching around to feel her back, she jumped at the realization that the bow had become untied and the laces hung loosely, the dress in danger of falling off. The extending of her arm behind her back loosened the dress even further, it seemed, and the upper half of the dress slid down to her elbows. Her face flushed a deep red and she was suddenly quite grateful for her shift.

Gods above and below, why do things like this happen when I have no arms!? Arva exclaimed.

Oh, calm down. At least I'm not naked.

Laughing nervously to fend off the strange looks she had received, she stepped out of the dress and said, "Shouldn't have let someone who can hardly tie a knot lace up my clothes, I see. Well, next time I'll know, right?"

Reaching out to Ellundil's mind, she thought icily, You will suffer for this.

"What about necromancers? On the Skyrim side of the Jerall Mountains, I mean," Reona said, crossing her arms and looking up at the Nord, feeling the strangeness of his aura. She then heard something Rhaine said to Ellundil, still connected to her mind, and her eyes grew wide.

Reaching around to feel her back, she jumped at the realization that the bow had become untied and the laces hung loosely, the dress in danger of falling off. The extending of her arm behind her back loosened the dress even further, it seemed, and the upper half of the dress slid down to her elbows. Her face flushed a deep red and she was suddenly quite grateful for her shift.

Gods above and below, why do things like this happen when I have no arms!? Arva exclaimed.

Laughing nervously to fend off the strange looks she had received, she stepped out of the dress and said, "Shouldn't have let someone who can hardly tie a knot lace up my clothes, I see. Well, next time I'll know, right?"

Rhaine laughed aloud, first at the now blue horse, then at Reona's predicament. "Dear, dear, Ellundil...what shall we do with you?"

Satisfied that Thanatos's black, silver-studded tack was all in position, she put her foot in the stirrup and hoisted herself up, swinging her leg over his broad back and settling down in the saddle. The stallion shifted fluidly beneath her, then began slowly backing up as she flexed the reins. She turned him towards the stable doors, passing Ellundil's colorful steed, "Come on then, friend. Let's go to the inn's entrance and wait on our comrades, shall we?"

Rhaine laughed aloud, first at the now blue horse, then at Reona's predicament. "Dear, dear, Ellundil...what shall we do with you?"

Satisfied that Thanatos's black, silver-studded tack was all in position, she put her foot in the stirrup and hoisted herself up, swinging her leg over his broad back and settling down in the saddle. The stallion shifted fluidly beneath her, then began slowly backing up as she flexed the reins. She turned him towards the stable doors, passing Ellundil's colorful steed, "Come on then, friend. Let's go to the inn's entrance and wait on our comrades, shall we?"

"Indeed we shall," retorted Ellundil, riding forth on his colorful (but still slightly dimmer :dry: ) steed.

Ellundil, obvious to his personality, would not give leeway to the fact that he was starting to enjoy travelling with others, though the short time he had been doing it. He also did not want to admit to himself that his trust was forming with them, but it still had miles to go, and many adventures and hardships to go through, before it was bonded together like perfectly forged silver.

Kalin had linked to Arva and heard Reona's threat as he watched Reona blush, trying not to laugh out loud. Hey, Arva! Does that count as feminine charms? If so, I bet it'll do the job! He stifled the laugh before it could escape, and he took on an innocent look, grinning slightly, as Reona turned and glared at him. Ellundil, I think we're both in trouble, he thought, trying not to laugh at Reona's expression.

Kalin walked over to Reona and took off his coat and draped it over her shoulders, trying to help her cover up. "You certainly will know now, won't you, milady?" Laughing inside, he picked up her dress and handed it to her. "Here's the key to my room. You can go get dressed there."

As she left, Kalin sat down at the bar. "Speaking of undead, I heard that there was a few rogue wizards practicing necromancy around here. Have you heard anything about that?" he asked the bartender after ordering a glass of wine. "Creepy stuff, that."

"Indeed we shall," retorted Ellundil, riding forth on his colorful (but still slightly dimmer :dry: ) steed.

Ellundil, obvious to his personality, would not give leeway to the fact that he was starting to enjoy travelling with others, though the short time he had been doing it. He also did not want to admit to himself that his trust was forming with them, but it still had miles to go, and many adventures and hardships to go through, before it was bonded together like perfectly forged silver.

((I hope this is obvious that I come into the road as this party is beginning to wander off...it may take me a bit to get up to total speed!!)

Kismet moved slowly behind the tree-line...watching the others seeming to half-jest and half-argue with each other. Mounted or ready to mount they stood, seeming to be aware enough of their surroundings that she sat debating about going onto the sun at all.

Still...she already knew this task was not one that she could do alone. Eventually she would have to do more that hide in the shadows. Hiding what she was only her current concern. Also...she was hungry.

Putting a hand on her growling stomach she quickly pulled a clean shirt out of her bag. Untying and unbuckling with practiced ease her leather curiass she slipped on a cleaner shirt and hid any number of daggers in places most would not suspect. Running her hands over the special bracers, she felt and pulled into place the mechanism that allowed her to flip out to daggers into her hands or to flip then throw them at a target. She had not seen the like yet in this new place.

Pulling her hood up she whispered a small illusion spell...her green eyes faded into a darkish-red color most Dumner had. Kismet then stepped where most Drow fear to go...she stepped forward into the light and right in the path of the oncoming group.

((I hope this is obvious that I come into the road as this party is beginning to wander off...it may take me a bit to get up to total speed!!)

Kismet moved slowly behind the tree-line...watching the others seeming to half-jest and half-argue with each other. Mounted or ready to mount they stood, seeming to be aware enough of their surroundings that she sat debating about going onto the sun at all.

Still...she already knew this task was not one that she could do alone. Eventually she would have to do more that hide in the shadows. Hiding what she was only her current concern. Also...she was hungry.

Putting a hand on her growling stomach she quickly pulled a clean shirt out of her bag. Untying and unbuckling with practiced ease her leather curiass she slipped on a cleaner shirt and hid any number of daggers in places most would not suspect. Running her hands over the special bracers, she felt and pulled into place the mechanism that allowed her to flip out to daggers into her hands or to flip then throw them at a target. She had not seen the like yet in this new place.

Pulling her hood up she whispered a small illusion spell...her green eyes faded into a darkish-red color most Dumner had. Kismet then stepped where most Drow fear to go...she stepped forward into the light and right in the path of the oncoming group.

Rhaine sat silently on her horse and waited with Ellundil just outside the inn's entrance, mentally half listening to the silly banter between Reona, Arva, and Kalin. She hoped that the barkeep could provide them with some lead, even if it was but a rumor. Yet, it seemed that their only remaining option was to hunt for Myrmaad and Kismet. She hoped Kelemvor was right, and that the Breton sage could grant them knowledge of their foes.

Suddenly, she spotted a shadowy figure moving along the road towards them. It was an elf, hooded, her skin like polished ebony and her eyes blood red. At first, Rhaine took her to be a Dunmer...but, no. She wasn't. She was too small, too dark, too graceful and too lithe. She moved with a fluidity that Rhaine had seen on only a few occasions in Toril. As far as she had been told, only one of these elves existed on Nirn...and her name was Kismet. But where was Myrmaad? No Breton was anywhere to be seen.

Rhaine smiled wryly at the elf, her hand raised in greeting. The Drow language rolled off of her tongue easily, the exotic sound causing Ellundil to do a double-take.

"Vendui, ilythiiri."

Reona quickly got dressed and stepped out into the main room of the inn with Kalin and curtsied to the barkeep, "Your help has been wonderful, and we appreciate it greatly. Unfortunately, we are pressed for time, and cannot stay any longer," She quickly tossed the keys (which she had tied onto a note explaining what their quest was about, and an invitation for him to join) toward the counter, satisfied with hearing the barkeep's hands close around them with an inhuman speed before they could hit the counter.

I knew it, she thought with a smirk as she walked outside with Kalin.

Much too fast to be human. You were right. I just wonder what he really is... Arva said as they met with Rhaine and Ellundil.

Reona took Arva and pierced through her dress and shift, then sliced around until she had cropped them so that they both ended slightly above her kneecaps, "That'll speed me up when I run, I think."

Rhaine, seeming a bit distracted, turned toward the road and said something Reona didn't understand.

Edited by tokyobleach

Reona quickly got dressed and stepped out into the main room of the inn with Kalin and curtsied to the barkeep, "Your help has been wonderful, and we appreciate it greatly. Unfortunately, we are pressed for time, and cannot stay any longer," She quickly tossed the keys (which she had tied onto a note explaining what their quest was about, and an invitation for him to join) toward the counter, satisfied with hearing the barkeep's hands close around them with an inhuman speed before they could hit the counter.

I knew it, she thought with a smirk as she walked outside with Kalin.

Much too fast to be human. You were right. I just wonder what he really is... Arva said as they met with Rhaine and Ellundil.

Reona took Arva and pierced through her dress and shift, then sliced around until she had cropped it so that it ended slightly above her kneecaps, "That'll speed me up when I run, I think."

Rhaine, seeming a bit distracted, turned toward the road and said something Reona didn't understand.

Ellundil was feeling clever, so of course he began to express that in one of the only ways he knew.

"Well, you took long enough princess. ;D Now all we need is 'Queen Kalin' and we are all set to go."

Ellundil is not dimwitted, and not off of his toes either, he knew quite well about the figure lurking about them, and he knew it for some time. Likewise, he also knew that he was probably not the most introductory person that had ever been in the universe, so he left the pleasantries to his other companions, only one of which that seemed to have decently polished "feminine charms"