The tall tales & tragedies of the Chattering Scroll Inn

myrmaad

Rhaine rose from the table, "Right then. Since we are all of the same mind, I shall go and arm myself now. When I return, we may talk strategy, so we will have an idea of how to best work in concert with one another."

With that, she excused herself and went up to her room. Locking the door behind her, she removed her robes and donned her armor once more. She packed her clothing and other belongings neatly in her saddlebag, re-belted her sword to her side, and pinned her dark cloak back around her neck, keeping her hood down for the moment. She took her hair down from its ponytail and shook it, letting it fall loosely about her shoulders. Giving her room a final check, she left and returned downstairs, setting the room key on the bar.

Returning to the table, Rhaine quietly sat down and laid her saddlebag in her lap. Upon seeing Reona again, she realized that the Bosmer lacked some important equipment - namely boots, a sheath for Arva, and some semblance of armor.

"You know, Reona, it's going to be terribly difficult to keep you alive in a fight without some means of physical protection. I hate to suggest it, but you may have to strip one of our enemies and take his armor for yourself. And another thing," she added, as Thanatos's saddlebag reminded her, "You three need horses. If we find that these bandits possess steeds, I think we should take them for our own. They'll serve us and our cause far better, I am certain. What say you?"

Edited by AurianaValoria1

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reona nodded and let out a small laugh, then looked up at Rhaine and grinned, "About my clothing, would you believe that those are my sentiments exactly? This dress has become such a bother lately that I wouldn't mind some new clothes. My thoughts were that perhaps I could trade the dress for something more fitting the excitement and adventure that lies ahead. I think the time for mourning has passed, after all; therefore, I have no need for this dress. As far as horses go, I can run faster than even Thanatos when pressed, and in proper attire, of course, and my endurance is extremely high. Speed has always been a gift of mine."

"It is a fine dress, and would most certainly fetch a good price, but nothing even close to how much everything you need would cost. I'll pay for whatever you need," Ellundil offered, his face reddening slightly, before adding, "I'd be helping all of us out, I think. The dress both stands out very much and will most likely slow you down."

Reona nodded once more, "I agree, and I thank you for your kindness, but I would only like to buy the clothing if we have time to. Taking clothes from the dead seems a bit unlucky, I think, but it will suffice for me if it is what I must do."

Edited by tokyobleach

"I wouldn't worry about armor too much," Kalin said, eyeing Reona up and down. "Though weapons are my area of expertise, I'm proficient in armor-crafting as well. As soon as I have the time and resources, I'll make a fine set for you, Reona, perhaps a fine mithral chainshirt if I have some of that left. Until then, unfortunately, you'll probably have to borrow a set from our gentlemen of fortune as Rhaine said. I'll adjust it to your size when we find a decent suit." Kalin gave a chuckle. "That, or you can use me as a meatshield, but I doubt I'll enjoy that."

Turning to Rhaine, he continued. "I'm with Reona about the horses. I can move quickly, and as a former soldier I'm used to long marches."

Finished, Kalin then called for four empty shot glasses and produced a flask with elven symbols on it. Pouring the flask's contents into the glasses, he explained what he was doing. "This is elven mead, and an old, rare vintage at that. You see, whenever I begin a new quest or job, I like to take a shot of this to commemorate the moment." He smiled and added, "And for good luck, too." After giving a glass to each companion, Kalin raised his in a toast. "Here's to a successful venture!"

"I wouldn't worry about armor too much," Kalin said, eyeing Reona up and down. "Though weapons are my area of expertise, I'm proficient in armor-crafting as well. As soon as I have the time and resources, I'll make a fine set for you, Reona, perhaps a fine mithral chainshirt if I have some of that left. Until then, unfortunately, you'll probably have to borrow a set from our gentlemen of fortune as Rhaine said. I'll adjust it to your size when we find a decent suit." Kalin gave a chuckle. "That, or you can use me as a meatshield, but I doubt I'll enjoy that."

Turning to Rhaine, he continued. "I'm with Reona about the horses. I can move quickly, and as a former soldier I'm used to long marches."

Finished, Kalin then called for four empty shot glasses and produced a flask with elven symbols on it. Pouring the flask's contents into the glasses, he explained what he was doing. "This is elven mead, and an old, rare vintage at that. You see, whenever I begin a new quest or job, I like to take a shot of this to commemorate the moment." He smiled and added, "And for good luck, too." After giving a glass to each companion, Kalin raised his in a toast. "Here's to a successful venture!"

Rhaine shrugged, "Very well. I thought steeds might be of use when trekking the frigid mountains of Skyrim, but suit yourself. I'm sure the opportunity will present itself should you change your minds. So," she took the glass of mead and raised it to her companions, "May Waukeen and Tymora grant us good fortune of both kinds." She downed the glass in one gulp, set it back on the table, then winked at Reona, "Perhaps, while I prepare Thanatos for our sojourn, you can use your feminine charms on the barkeep and ask him if he has heard anything about our undead foes in the north? And," she added to Kalin and Ellundil, "it wouldn't hurt to ask the other patrons as well. Tavern walls have ears, and this one has heard many a tale and tragedy, I am sure.

"I will also impart to you that, in battle, I often use spells to bring down my foes before they ever reach me, and thus, I tend to stay in the rear of a group. Both my offensive and defensive spells have a wide area of effect, so you need not worry about being close to me should you require healing. However, I can also fight in pure melee should the need arise, and I am not afraid of taking the front line," she patted the sword at her hip, "think on that, too, while I saddle Thanatos. You may need to assess your own fighting styles and adjust them for maximum effectiveness. When you are ready to depart, meet me outside."

With that, Rhaine turned tail and left the inn to ready her horse for their adventure.

Rhaine shrugged, "Very well. I thought steeds might be of use when trekking the frigid mountains of Skyrim, but suit yourself. I'm sure the opportunity will present itself should you change your minds. So," she took the glass of mead and raised it to her companions, "May Waukeen and Tymora grant us good fortune of both kinds." She downed the glass in one gulp, set it back on the table, then winked at Reona, "Perhaps, while I prepare Thanatos for our sojourn, you can use your feminine charms on the barkeep and ask him if he has heard anything about our undead foes in the north? And," she added to Kalin and Ellundil, "it wouldn't hurt to ask the other patrons as well. Tavern walls have ears, and this one has heard many a tale and tragedy, I am sure.

"I will also impart to you that, in battle, I often use spells to bring down my foes before they ever reach me, and thus, I tend to stay in the rear of a group. Both my offensive and defensive spells have a wide area of effect, so you need not worry about being close to me should you require healing. However, I can also fight in pure melee should the need arise, and I am not afraid of taking the front line," she patted the sword at her hip, "think on that, too, while I saddle Thanatos. You may need to assess your own fighting styles and adjust them for maximum effectiveness. When you are ready to depart, meet me outside."

With that, Rhaine turned tail and left the inn to ready her horse for their adventure.

Ellundil rose from his seat and stretched a little, his joints popping, before drinking all of his mead at once and gently sliding his chair in its place under the table, "Before you turn in that key, Reona, I'd like to get the rest of my things from the room. Leaving them here would be a great folly."

"Oh, right," she replied, taking the key out of her pocket and placing it into Ellundil's right palm, and he patted the top of her head with his left hand before disappearing down the hallway.

Reona turned to Kalin and crossed her arms, "I do like the idea of having mythril armor, as it's very light, and my fighting style relies on my ability to move faster than the enemy. I'm strong enough to hold quite a bit of weight, but I do fatigue quickly if I have on anything that weighs much more than I do."

Ellundil returned a few moments later and tossed the key to Reona, "I think everything's in order now."

Her arm instinctively shot out and snatched the key from the air, so swiftly that the edges scratched her palm slightly. She walked to the bar and smiled warily at the Nord barkeep, setting the key down. The aura about him felt strange, almost as if he were an animal of some sort, and an extremely strong animal at that, which made her quite nervous.

"Hello, I'd like to return my room key. I did have a bit of difficulty with it, by the way. It's very worn and may be broken, but I'm not sure," she said, laughing nervously, heat blooming across her nose and cheeks, "I also have a few questions for you, if you wouldn't mind answering them. Well, they're about the... undead... in Skyrim. Have you noticed anything out of the ordinary up there?"

Noticing the Breton sitting near where she'd been standing, she jumped and curtsied, "Oh! So sorry if I was interrupting! My friends and I are just in a rush to leave, and I didn't notice that you two were talking. I'm usually not so careless, but we've had an eventful morning."

Arva laughed and sent out a thought to Rhaine, She's not too great at using those 'feminine charms', but she still wants you to listen in on this, just in case she does glean a bit of useful information.

Rhaine entered the stable, and Thanatos lifted his head from his complementary hay to whicker slightly at her. She glanced up to see sunlight streaming through the new hole in the roof. She smiled to herself, fondly remembering the event that caused it. Someone needs to tell them to fix that.

As she swiftly brushed her horse and began assembling his tack, she felt a tickle in the corner of her mind...Arva.

She's not too great at using those 'feminine charms', but she still wants you to listen in on this, just in case she does glean a bit of useful information.

Grinning, Rhaine allowed her thoughts to follow Arva to Reona, and she listened carefully to catch the barkeep's words.

Approaching the gate, she saw the owner of the voice, a dark and dazzling woman was emerging just beneath the shadows, surely an ancient race rarely seen.

The captive woman pushed the gate and it swung free, still clutching the femur but pinned down at her side, the anger rose within her and she pulled her chin up, pushed her shoulders back and in a threatening tone demanded:

"Why am I here? Did you see them? Why did you unlock the gate? Which way is out? And most importantly WHERE IS MY BOW?"

The Drow/Dumner woman blinked, green eyes flashing as she took in the plethora of words the woman seemed to shove in a smallish space of time. Deciding to give her answers in a similar fashion, Kismet answered.

"I know not. Yes. To let you out. To the East. Where the males are, I would think."

Having answered Kismet looked around the cavern again with perfect sight, inherent to the Drow race. Looking back to the woman and her femur weapon she pulled a dagger from a cleverly hidden sheath on the outside of her boot. Flipping it from hilt to blade, she unerringly caught it and handed it toward the woman.

"Will this due until we find this bow? I can poison it if you promise not to injure yourself with it." The blade was blacker than the darkest parts of the cavern, the hilt magnificently made. A treasure to be sure, in this world anyway. Yet the Drow handed it away as if it was nothing, a trinket of lowest value.

The faerie fire shone on the Drow's curious face. Her dark skin perfect and without scars or blemishes. She was lovely, with high cheekbones and almond-slit eyes. Her countenance perfect but thus far so perfect as to seem unnatural. She could pass for an unusual looking Dumner...Kismet however had an arrogant stare and held herself in a manner which made most who encountered her, if they did not turn tail and run, cower slightly and follow her commands. Though she gave nothing away other than curiousness...it was the curiousness of a large, predatory cat has when its belly is full...that sees a rabbit come from its burrow.

The Drow looked again to the female. Wiggling the dagger's hilt at the woman, Kismet said again in her low-silky voice. "Come! Decide and let us be going. Otherwise I leave you here with only that for your company!" Kismet nodded in the direction of the femur still gripped tightly in the woman's hand. The as if an afterthought the Drow spoke again, "Oh...I am Kismet. Now I am know to you. Let us make haste."

"Well, ok then!"

The blade felt pretty light and familiar in her hand. With a sheepish smile she tossed the bone onto a pile of rubbish nearby. The woman with the bedazzled mystique leading the way, they began the journey out, creeping silently through the rather large old fort, the sound was at times so silent they could hear their own breath, a step further and they heard the strange dank drip of unseen water, and even stranger distant echoes and loud creaking groans, as if the ancient building had an uncomfortable living essence of its own. Suddenly ahead the way was blocked. The floor had given way and collapsed. There were some fallen planks that led further down into the depths of the old dungeon. The two wordlessly agreed the way out was through, and began the descent.

They spoke only occasionally in soft whispers, listening carefully, fading into shadow. Though when she appeared in the light, Mae's companion appeared to shine with a light of her own, Mae also noticed that she was as stealthy as Mae herself, becoming one with the darkness. Watching her carefully but sidelong as they continued through the caverns in the depths, Mae noticed that this Kismet left no barrel, drawer, or chest unturned, deftly unlocking and emptying anything of use or value into her seemingly bottomless little satchel, that most of the time remained hidden.

It had been about two hours since she had awoken on the damp floor above, and while she wasn't really hungry, Mae was feeling parched. As they quietly continued their methodical passage, Mae began to wonder again at this beautiful and interesting creature that was her friendly yet fearsome companion.

As she mulled these thoughts, she occasionally watched the woman as she picked a lock with one hand, seemingly never even touched it, she appeared to wave her hand over the chest as it opened and with a beautiful gesture her fingers found the small cache of valuables inside and whisked them into her satchel, so gracefully it was like her hands were little ballerinas. As if reading her mind, Kismet wordlessly handed her a small flask filled with a draught of Sinyaramen's Water. The taste was clean and sweet and she welcomed the feeling of refreshment. Even as she drank and replenished her energies, she watched the little finger dance of the drow's handiwork. One part of her brain wondered, where does she put all that stuff?

On encountering that thought it was instantly interrupted as a big white man came flying headlong through the next door they were headed toward, coming right at them, his eyes wide and wild, he didn't seem to register their presence at all. His lips were curled into a macabre grimace and suddenly his running feet just seemed to collapse beneath him! Mae caught a look at her dazzling companion, but she seemed as perplexed as Mae --

Suddenly the air filled with an acrid smokey stale odor, threatening to overcome her, she covered her face with her cloak instinctively to protect herself from the extremely unpleasant odor. An instant later the wall around the door the brute had fled toward them through collapsed around them. Kismet and Mae were both tumbled into the debris and rubble of the explosion. Unhurt, Mae stared up at the creature responsible. The thing was two-men-tall, with beautiful glossy purple black claws on his feet as big as a big man's arm, and dark wings that curled from claws at the joints around his back. Its eyes glowed goldenred and white hot, and the fowl beast was busy ripping off the back of another poor fellow's skull!

((Sorry for the delay everyone))

Kismet watched with fascinated horror as the beast ripped the head in twain and dipped its claw into the brain of the head. Drawing it out the beast licked the grey matter and grunted as if in satisfaction. It appeared to not yet notice the two women and Kismet decided to use this to her advantage. Glancing over at the tall woman she had released, Kismet had a moment of regret as she made her decision. Hoping the woman was as capable as she seemed the Drow pulled the magical pouch open and pulled from it an elaborately carved bow and a quiver of arrows. The arrows were the Drow's own but imbued magically. Never in her home would she show such weakness to another but Kismet felt some nagging inside her.

Kismet raised a hand and whispered a few words in an elegant and ancient tongue. Suddenly pitch blackness formed around the creature who promptly began to howl in fear or anger was impossible to tell. Tossing the bow and quiver at the blonde the drow spoke in common.

"I believe this was yours." Kismet grinned showing her dimpled cheeks. She then sketched a low bow to the woman. "I am sorry but I find that I must leave....now rather than later. My apologies to you, My Lady. " Casting one final spell the Drow began to levitate up from the hole in which they had tumbled and to the level above...hopefully where the exit lay..

Looking down at the stranger one final time she called clearly, "Get ready, Lady...you have about five seconds before the darkness dissipates." Landing on the next floor, the Drow began to run quickly toward the smell of fresh air. Rounding the corner and seeing the sun Kismet breathed a sigh of relief. Looking back into the ruin with a bit of regret, the Drow shook her head and continued to run toward the tree-line and the shadows. She hoped the woman would free herself but she could not put herself at risk.

Finally hitting the woods, the drow quickly blended into the shadows, unseen.

Ellundil rose from his seat and stretched a little, his joints popping, before drinking all of his mead at once and gently sliding his chair in its place under the table, "Before you turn in that key, Reona, I'd like to get the rest of my things from the room. Leaving them here would be a great folly."

"Oh, right," she replied, taking the key out of her pocket and placing it into Ellundil's right palm, and he patted the top of her head with his left hand before disappearing down the hallway.

Reona turned to Kalin and crossed her arms, "I do like the idea of having mythril armor, as it's very light, and my fighting style relies on my ability to move faster than the enemy. I'm strong enough to hold quite a bit of weight, but I do fatigue quickly if I have on anything that weighs much more than I do."

Ellundil returned a few moments later and tossed the key to Reona, "I think everything's in order now."

Her arm instinctively shot out and snatched the key from the air, so swiftly that the edges scratched her palm slightly. She walked to the bar and smiled warily at the Nord barkeep, setting the key down. The aura about him felt strange, almost as if he were an animal of some sort, and an extremely strong animal at that, which made her quite nervous.

"Hello, I'd like to return my room key. I did have a bit of difficulty with it, by the way. It's very worn and may be broken, but I'm not sure," she said, laughing nervously, heat blooming across her nose and cheeks, "I also have a few questions for you, if you wouldn't mind answering them. Well, they're about the... undead... in Skyrim. Have you noticed anything out of the ordinary up there?"

Noticing the Breton sitting near where she'd been standing, she jumped and curtsied, "Oh! So sorry if I was interrupting! My friends and I are just in a rush to leave, and I didn't notice that you two were talking. I'm usually not so careless, but we've had an eventful morning."

Arva laughed and sent out a thought to Rhaine, She's not too great at using those 'feminine charms', but she still wants you to listen in on this, just in case she does glean a bit of useful information.

The nord threw the bosmer a new key, took a deep breath and then started talking;

"The draugr? They smell bad, they look bad and they are nords who passed on a long time ago, if I were you, I would avoid them. And no, I haven't heard from, or been near, my homelands for so long that I doubt that the village i call home still exists. But I wouldn't mind helping a lady with her questions. I don't have anything better to do"

He then looked at the other customer at the counter, Redemin and said; "And I'm sorry my good sir, but I do not know any work for a person of your....interesting profession, but I think the legion might have need for a bounty hunter. I recomend asking the prison warden or the guard captain, they should know more about bounty hunting than me".

He looked at the bosmer again and leaned over the counter and said; "now, did you have any other questions?"

The nord threw the bosmer a new key, took a deep breath and then started talking;

"The draugr? They smell bad, they look bad and they are nords who passed on a long time ago, if I were you, I would avoid them. And no, I haven't heard from, or been near, my homelands for so long that I doubt that the village i call home still exists. But I wouldn't mind helping a lady with her questions. I don't have anything better to do"

He then looked at the other customer at the counter, Redemin and said; "And I'm sorry my good sir, but I do not know any work for a person of your....interesting profession, but I think the legion might have need for a bounty hunter. I recomend asking the prison warden or the guard captain, they should know more about bounty hunting than me".

He looked at the bosmer again and leaned over the counter and said; "now, did you have any other questions?"

Rhaine frowned as she put the bit in Thanatos's mouth. That wasn't exactly what she was hoping to hear. She had studied up on the creatures of Tamriel when she had first arrived in the world of Nirn, and she already knew that draugr infested many Nordic barrows - much like elven baelnorn, or desert mummies. Although she would destroy them if she came across them, common draugr were not her targets.

It seemed that this particular Nord had been away from his home for too long to know of any recent undead development. She communicated a thought to Reona: Ask him if he has heard about any necromancers on the Skyrim side of the Jeralls.

Rhaine then began buckling the saddlebags behind the cantle, wondering if Kalin and Ellundil were having any better luck.

Rhaine frowned as she put the bit in Thanatos's mouth. That wasn't exactly what she was hoping to hear. She had studied up on the creatures of Tamriel when she had first arrived in the world of Nirn, and she already knew that draugr infested many Nordic barrows - much like elven baelnorn, or desert mummies. Although she would destroy them if she came across them, common draugr were not her targets.

It seemed that this particular Nord had been away from his home for too long to know of any recent undead development. She communicated a thought to Reona: Ask him if he has heard about any necromancers on the Skyrim side of the Jeralls.

Rhaine then began buckling the saddlebags behind the cantle, wondering if Kalin and Ellundil were having any better luck.

Ellundil knew he would simply kill over and die if he had to ride a horse. He would, not, ever, do, it, again. His recent control over his powers started to kick in, however, and his mind started to work. Ellundil was beginning to create his own spell, rather than attaining it through a random chain of events.

He made sure he had plenty of space (for he knew his magic went into mishap many times before this) and his runes began to glow - and shape themselves into something new.

The light around Ellundil began to glimmer and shimmer, like the morning sun rising over the ocean, and then, from the light grew a celestial steed that would bare Ellundil for the rest of his days, and without the unrest of a normal flesh-horse.

Ellundil, feeling enamored with vigor rode to the stables, and declared himself ready for the days, and adventures that lie ahead of him.

(Now, at this point in time Ellundil's hunting boots had laces that were bound to become untied at any second, barely hanging on, because he was NOT a very good KNOT expert; which one could infer that any other knots tied in such similar fashion could be less sturdy as the one being spoken of now, but surely that doesn't have anything to do with this story, right?)