Skyrim and Steam

SeparateElite

They do it because it's a distribution and marketing model as well. Many games, even those who don't have DRM make use of steam because it allows them to advertise their product and offer deals specifically to gamers, rather than the crapshoot with other adverts.

Ironically, that's one of the things I love about Steam. Their advertising doesn't intrude with your games at all. From time to time there might be a popup advertising a new game or DLC, but other than that, all the advertising is strictly restricted to the store section of the client.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is if computer users are going to get shafted with a steam requirement .

Non-Steam users, if I may. Computer users implies that anyone going to play the game on a computer is going to get shafted, when more than a few million of us actually like Steam.

You can split hairs all you want. I'm speaking for the several millions of computer users that don't like Steam. The term computer users was merely to differentiate us from the console gamers. As you love Steam, It's clear that my statement wasn't intended to include you.

P.S. I have as Steam account, and I don't want Skyrim to be a steam only game. So you're implication that only non-steam users would feel shafted is invalid on it's face. So the term Computer Users stands. Just because a few million of us use Steam doesn't mean we all love it. ;)

"Hi. Welcome to McDonald's. Today you'll be having a Big Mac, fries and a diet Coke."

"But that's not what I want. I want a Fillet-O-Fish and--"

"Hi. Welcome to McDonald's. Today you'll be having a Big Mac, fries and a diet Coke."

"But I just told you that's not what I want. I want a--"

"Well, okay I guess. This is the only place in town open at this hour. I guess I'll have whatever you just said..."

It will be interesting to see if this becomes the make it or break deciding factor for people who might be on the fence about Skyrim once it ships. I'm going to get it anyway, but I imagine this is really going to put a lot of people off. Not that many game companies will care; they all seem to be determined not to listen due to fears of piracy.

On a similar note, Blizzard is pissing all over their fanbase by making Diablo 3 online ONLY and making player trades in the game go their auction house...for real money, of which they get a cut. Bethesda hasn't quite pulled crap to this degree...yet. I think I can put up with Steam, though it sucks. For now.

"But that's not what I want. I want a Fillet-O-Fish and--"

"But I just told you that's not what I want. I want a--"

"Well, okay I guess. This is the only place in town open at this hour. I guess I'll have whatever you just said..."

I usually don't protect steam, but that's not true. Not at all.

You get a bit of advertisement but they don't force you to buy it, also McDonald's doesn't have summer sale where everything is 77% off.

Let's get over this topic already, Steam is a good program for those who like it and those who hate it will always hate it.

End of discussion.

I like Steam, but I'm hoping Skyrim has nothing to do with it. I'd greatly prefer it if there were no changes to how we modded it, learning how to mod Oblivion was hell in itself, learning how to mod Skyrim will be even more hell if I have to learn it all over due to the folders changing around.

Some people here seem to be under the impression that this is about Steam but it's not. It's about Steam Works. SW prevented me from buying FO:NV and while it's not going to stop me from buying Skyrim, I will not be happy about it in the least.

Some people here seem to be under the impression that this is about Steam but it's not. It's about Steam Works. SW prevented me from buying FO:NV and while it's not going to stop me from buying Skyrim, I will not be happy about it in the least.

Isn't Steamworks a free development and publishing suite that allowed indie companies to sell games on Steam?

If not, could you please explain?

I also won't be happy if Skyrim will be Steam only (which I highly doubt it will). I won't be mad too, but I'll be a bit disappointed.

I like steam, but when it comes to Skyrim I don't want to launch it from Third Party software.

Isn't Steamworks a free development and publishing suite that allowed indie companies to sell games on Steam?

If not, could you please explain?

I also won't be happy if Skyrim will be Steam only (which I highly doubt it will). I won't be mad too, but I'll be a bit disappointed.

I like steam, but when it comes to Skyrim I don't want to launch it from Third Party software.

Steam Works is a DRM that requires you to register and validate your retail purchase online.