Skyrim and Steam

SeparateElite

Hector530, the fact that works for you does not mean that you have the right to cast aspersions on deede's veracity. I too cannot run any Steam games offline, so pulling out the ethernet cable after signing in would make no difference. And this is another reason to dislike Steam - the fact that it seems to behave differently for different people/regions, eg some people can stop it autoupdating games and others can't. Yes, despite the fact that Vagrant0 tried to tell us all that you can stop it and that consequently it does not cause trouble with mods, it blooming well does for NV. It's the fact that the configuration ini's get overwritten that gets my goat, I at least know to back them up regularly, others may not.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm suggesting that everyone who doesn't like Steam simply don't buy the game. It can't be simpler imho.

But good sir, how are we supposed to play the game if we don't buy it?

You don't. It's just another game. Not playing it isn't going to kill you. I was starting to et hyper-excited about BF3, but I'm no longer getting it because Origin is a requirement. Not going to negatively impact my life either.

If that is the case, I might actually get BF3 just because it requires Origin.

I think one of the things people who don't support tying SteamWorks DRM into the constantly running Steam app malarkey can actively do is support the competition.

I'm suggesting that everyone who doesn't like Steam simply don't buy the game. It can't be simpler imho.

But good sir, how are we supposed to play the game if we don't buy it?

You don't. It's just another game. Not playing it isn't going to kill you. I was starting to et hyper-excited about BF3, but I'm no longer getting it because Origin is a requirement. Not going to negatively impact my life either.

IAnd that's what we are considering if they do require steam. We can't demand them to change, but I don't see why we can't make our voices heard if we don't like anything just like you just did with BF3?

EDIT: Even more so since it has yet to be announced if steam really will be required. People have had enough time to get an opinion of the steam requirement for NV, and I don't hink I need to link to all the threads with people haveing trouble with steam since their own support appears to be non existant?

Edited by amycus

I think one of the things people who don't support tying SteamWorks DRM into the constantly running Steam app malarkey can actively do is support the competition.

Indeed. If you like the kind of system so little, support it so that they can think it's a working formula. Next we'll have Activision Mootles and Microsoft Cloud. Just with prices more in range with their levels of greed, unlike Steam.

And that's what we are considering if they do require steam. We can't demand them to change, but I don't see why we can't make our voices heard if we don't like anything just like you just did with BF3?

EDIT: Even more so since it has yet to be announced if steam really will be required. People have had enough time to get an opinion of the steam requirement for NV, and I don't hink I need to link to all the threads with people haveing trouble with steam since their own support appears to be non existant?

Well, there's been a public outcry about Steam for ages, and it's still being used. Just look at Ubisoft's Uplay. Probably the most hated DRM scheme there ever was. Still being used.

Edit: Ironically, NV just went on special. How much you wanna bet it's going to be on top of the best-selling list in three hours' time?

Edited by Halororor

Indeed. If you like the kind of system so little, support it so that they can think it's a working formula. Next we'll have Activision Mootles and Microsoft Cloud. Just with prices more in range with their levels of greed, unlike Steam.

And that's what we are considering if they do require steam. We can't demand them to change, but I don't see why we can't make our voices heard if we don't like anything just like you just did with BF3?

Well, there's been a public outcry about Steam for ages, and it's still being used. Just look at Ubisoft's Uplay. Probably the most hated DRM scheme there ever was. Still being used.

Edit: Ironically, NV just went on special. How much you wanna bet it's going to be on top of the best-selling list in three hours' time?

You can bet that I won't be buying it at least. And yes, there has been a huge public outcry for steam for ages, just like you say. Guess why?

Edited by amycus

Has the public outcry done any good yet? Will it if 5 million users hate Steam, and 25 million others either love it or don't mind about it?

There have been cases of companies removing overly restrictive DRM in the past. Furthermore if Skyrim isn't steam only, you can bet it's due to public out cry over New Vegas.

~Also I like those numbers you pulled out of the air.

There have been cases of companies removing overly restrictive DRM in the past. Furthermore if Skyrim isn't steam only, you can bet it's due to public out cry over New Vegas.

~Also I like those numbers you pulled out of the air.

But Steam isn't overly restrictive. It might not work for a few users, due to possible hardware or software problems, but it would be lying to say the people who hate Steam are in the majority. Yeah, I pulled those numbers out of thin air. It's called exagerating. Then again, take a look at the sales made during the Steam summer sale. That should be indicitive of something, least of all that there are millions of people who like Steam enough to buy games through the service. Just take a look at Brink. It's considered a massive failure, yet look at how well it just sold. As predicted, also take a look at New Vegas. It's currently sitting at number 2 on the topsellers list on Steam, just after the entire Quakecon pack, 2 and a half hours after it went on special. With a fanbase that big, do you really expect Steam to be toppled anytime soon?

Steam does a hell of a lot for gamers. Just take a look at the aforementioned Quakecon pack. That's $69.99 for 34 games, including stuff like the entire Fallout 3 GotY. That's just over $2 a game. Show me another digital distribution service that offers something like that. Hell, that's reason enough to put up with the occasional technical issue for me, not that I've ever had a problem with Steam that wasn't a fault on my end before.

I'm all for Steam being optional in retail games, but if it isn't, I see no reason to moan so excessively about it as some people in here do. Thing is, people like me like Steam, and there's a lot of us that do. As long as we like Steam, it's not going away. And no offense, I'm not about to stop using the service just because a few other people don't want to use it.