⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Why do people seem to prefer Fallout New vegas to fallout 3.

arcane20

The PDA Pip Boy makes no sense given the Fallout lore. Something that small couldn't exist in a world where the transistor was only invented ten years before the war.

Also true, even the hand held version of the Pipboy (which was never used by the main character in FO1 and 2) was a sort of large clunky kind of device.

I get what you're saying about the transistor but this is not entirely consistent -the water chip in Fallout 1 is supposed to be a "chip" and that is at odds with the whole transistor thing. The actual water chip looks retro futuristic in style but still it's ambiguous at the very least.

The pipboy that the Vault Dweller wore wasn't clunky by any means even if the original Vault Dweller from Vault 13 wore it on his wrist (note his wrist, not his entire forearm).

I'll post this link one more time:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/images/36765-4-1289138144.jpg

Do you really see a TV set wrapped around the original Vault Dweller's arm? :happy:

I don't see anything on his arm mate which is not surprising as that is not an in game picture. It is an artists impression. The game itself is what defines Fallout 1 for me, not some artists impression. Now I understand if you want to define it by the art, that is ok. Sometimes the artwork is better than the in game stuff (Couriers duster for example). But you have to understand, that picture does not match the actual game lore. At least not as I am aware.

I am fairly sure the only fallout game where the main character did not have an arm mounted pipboy is Fallout Tactics. But I never played that one so I would not know first hand.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PDA Pip Boy makes no sense given the Fallout lore. Something that small couldn't exist in a world where the transistor was only invented ten years before the war.

Also true, even the hand held version of the Pipboy (which was never used by the main character in FO1 and 2) was a sort of large clunky kind of device.

I get what you're saying about the transistor but this is not entirely consistent -the water chip in Fallout 1 is supposed to be a "chip" and that is at odds with the whole transistor thing. The actual water chip looks retro futuristic in style but still it's ambiguous at the very least.

The pipboy that the Vault Dweller wore wasn't clunky by any means even if the original Vault Dweller from Vault 13 wore it on his wrist (note his wrist, not his entire forearm).

Do you really see a TV set wrapped around the original Vault Dweller's arm? :happy:

I don't see anything on his arm mate which is not surprising as that is not an in game picture. It is an artists impression. The game itself is what defines Fallout 1 for me, not some artists impression. Now I understand if you want to define it by the art, that is ok. Sometimes the artwork is better than the in game stuff (Couriers duster for example). But you have to understand, that picture does not match the actual game lore. At least not as I am aware.

I am fairly sure the only fallout game where the main character did not have an arm mounted pipboy is Fallout Tactics. But I never played that one so I would not know first hand.

No offence but have you ever played Fallout 1?

Because this picture is from the ending video from Fallout 1. It is part of the game.

If you need to refresh your memory here is a video for you to watch:

Besides if you look at the in game characters you can't see any pipboy so I really don't get the point you're trying to make about Fallout Tactics. Try looking at gameplay videos from the first Fallout (and Fallout 2) and then tell me where you can see "an arm mounted pipboy" in Fallout 1 or 2 because I've never seen any.

No offence but have you ever played Fallout 1?

Because this picture is from the ending video from Fallout 1. It is part of the game.

If you need to refresh your memory here is a video for you to watch:

Besides if you look at the in game characters you can't see any pipboy so I really don't get the point you're trying to make about Fallout Tactics. Try looking at gameplay videos from the first Fallout (and Fallout 2) and then tell me where you can see "an arm mounted pipboy" in Fallout 1 or 2 because I've never seen any.

No offense taken, and yes I have played the game many times, although the last time was about 5 years ago :) And yeah it is possible my memory is being affected by recent games, so I will dig out my copy and reinstall it, and see myself. But I would like to reiterate, that picture (or animated video) is still only an artists rendition of your character walking into history after the game, and in no way represents the character you played 'in game'. It is not 'in game'. During the game is what I consider lore. Otherwise if that image (or animated video) defined lore, then the vault dweller would have to be male and wearing a vault suit at the end of the game. Obviously this is not the case. It is just an artists fancy.

The current and seemingly uncontested lore on Fallout sites is that the Pipboy worn by the main character in Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 was the Pipboy 2000 Plus and was either 'arm mounted' or 'worn on the wrist'. It is generally described as cumbersome, and judging by the image seen in game, it is a solidly made metal object.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/image.php?id=6816

http://www.fonline2238.net/wiki/Pip-Boy

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Pip-Boy_2000

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Pip-Boy

I am not suggesting everything online must be true, but I have yet to find a single link that suggests the Pipboy worn by the Vault Dweller or The Chosen One were anything other than the wrist/arm mounted pipboy 2000 plus. But as I said, I will dig out my copy and replay it. Will be fun anyway :)

It sure will! :thumbsup:

Then again there is a huge difference between "arm mounted" and "worn on the wrist" you wear a watch on your wrist and it's fine but as far as having something that takes an entire forearm... If you've ever had a plaster cast you may agree with me that it is not something that would be either practical or comfortable.

I don't recall anything like that in the first Fallout games and frankly I've played these games for more than ten years (and still do from time to time).

Also if you play a female character the end video is not the same so there is nothing that says the vault dweller has to be male. She has to be a brunette though. :biggrin:

And regarding the vault suit the Vault Dweller has to have it in order to pass it on to the Chosen One in Fallout 2.

The only in game representation of the pip boy the Vault Dweller and the Chosen One used is this picture: http://www.fonline2238.net/wiki/images/a/a5/Pboy2kmain.gif

It doesn't have to be huge like the pip boy 3000 from Fallout 3. After all it may be considered as being "cumbersome" without being as bulky as the pip boy 3000.

That picture looks pretty bulky to me. The screen alone is supposed to be 3 inches across by 5 inches deep, so the whole face of the thing would be approx 6 x 5.5 . Probably would have a little more on the edge that you cant see, so call it 6.5 inches by 6 inches minimum. And that is metal, and require securing at more than just the wrist. You would need straps or clamps at both ends. Assuming more metal rather than leather straps (and in the Fallout world that seems reasonable).

Honestly, when I look at the mock up in this link: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/image.php?id=6816 and the picture you posted, I can imagine that picture going right on the faceplate of that model pretty much at the sizes I just listed.

But to be honest, seeing as the Pipboy 2000 BE edition was a PDA type thing (albeit a huge one), there is no reason they could not have something like that for Fallout 4 now that I think of it. Both the arm mounted and PDA versions are lore I guess. It just should not be something like a bloody iPhone :)

Would be awesome if you had options to choose your pipboy model in the next one rather than just having a generic one stuck on you. Nothing to fancy mind you, but say you have a selection of pipboys from whoever hands them out, 2000s 3000s maybe some in between or even older models, and you can make it an early on dialouge challenge based on various skill checks to decide which one you take.

Would be awesome if you had options to choose your pipboy model in the next one rather than just having a generic one stuck on you. Nothing to fancy mind you, but say you have a selection of pipboys from whoever hands them out, 2000s 3000s maybe some in between or even older models, and you can make it an early on dialouge challenge based on various skill checks to decide which one you take.

Should be reasonably easy to implement. I also would not mind something more like the handheld Pipboy 2000. And if they built that into the game it would make it easier to mod new handheld pipboys.

The problem is that it's unlikely they would go through the trouble of making several pipboys.

Also this picture looks really good http://www.newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/image.php?id=6816

but there is nothing conclusive about it. It would be an interesting alternative though. My personal preference would go to a wrist mounted PDA (a big watch if you want) not something that would take up the entire arm.

Anyway Gopher if you find anything in Fallout 1 that would shed light on this share it with us as I don't recall anything looking as big as a pipboy 3000. :happy: