Why do people seem to prefer Fallout New vegas to fallout 3.

arcane20

Personally I still play FO3 whereas NV is more or less done for me now.

I loved NV side quests, loved the NV dialogue, and felt the companion experience was much better (especially in Dead Money). But the game just missed the sweet spot for me. I missed the DC ruins, I missed GNR, I missed being from a vault (especially that moment when you left the vault and stepped into the wasteland for the first time), and I really missed having interesting enemies. The legion were just a little too unsatisfying compared to the Enclave. And I will take masses of super mutants over cazadors any day of the week :)

What I really want from FO4 is this:

From FO3:

1. Better main protagonist with a simple backstory with some strong emotional anchors. I don't want my past to involve much, as I want to be an innocent weakling when I start. Vault dweller is my preference. I like vaults.

2. Better world space. DC ruins were beutiful and the waterfront skyline was breathtaking in its destroyed splendor. I also preferred the OTT cities like Megaton and Rivet city.

3. A more personal main quest. Something human and believable for someone my age. I am way too old to believe the whole 'revenge for getting mugged' thing. Sorry, but experience has shown me people like to mouth off about how they want revenge, but usually once they calm down they just get on with their lives. Only the truly stupid risk their necks for a bruised ego.

4. Better radio station. Enough said.

5. Better enemies. Seriously, cazadors? You try killing one without VATs on hardest difficulty? Its a bug for gods sake! Dying to a super mutant behemoth is one thing, but dying to a multi colored bug?

From FNV:

Everything else :) eg.

1. Longer main quest. FO3 main quest was way too short.

2. Better dialogue.

3. Better companion experience.

4. Iron sights, hardcore mode, weapon mods, and other things they have lifted right from the modding community.

5. Ammo types and crafting.

6. Factions rather than karma.

7. Better use of skills and specials (Speech skill being actually useful is awesome!).

8. More wacky wasteland moments (oh and dont make it a trait, make it vanilla and give an option to disable for people who don't get the jokes).

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the hell is getting shot in the head and buried in a shallow grave "just a sore ego"? He tried to kill me and going to kill him. And i personally liked Cazadores they were actually a challenge but still killable with enough skill and i dont use VATS.

Rest i agree with for F4 and is basically confirmed to happen and wasnt in Fallout New Vegas because it isnt F4 its NV!

How the hell is getting shot in the head and buried in a shallow grave "just a sore ego"? He tried to kill me and going to kill him.

That is the very definition of a bruised ego :) You got over the damage to your body, but not the damage to your ego. The problem with it is that revenge is a hard motivation to sustain for any length of time. After a short time you tend to just get over it and get on with life. It all depends on how much effort and risk there is in seeking the revenge. Going after a mafia boss is massive risk and effort, especially if you are just a low level noob with no real assets.

In the end I only killed Benny because I wanted the chip for the quest to continue and see where it went. There was no emotion in that quest for me because I did not take it personally. For me it would have been better if Benny had done something like shot my mother, or stole something of serious sentimental value. Something I can sink my teeth into and use as an emotional hook. The main quest was very 'neutral' for me. I much preferred quests like Boones or Veronicas quests. They really got to me. Dragged me in heart and soul.

Were forgetting the contract, for the delivery he stoled from us. It says in the contract if we fail to deliver, and obviously are still alive, they are well within their legal rights to have us killed. Its a waiver we agreed to when we took on the job. So its either go into hiding for the rest of your life, or get the item back and finish the job.

Were forgetting the contract, for the delivery he stoled from us. It says in the contract if we fail to deliver, and obviously are still alive, they are well within their legal rights to have us killed. Its a waiver we agreed to when we took on the job. So its either go into hiding for the rest of your life, or get the item back and finish the job.

That is true, but frankly I have two problems with that:

1. They don't actually make that abundantly clear in the game. It never seems to come up, or be pointed out. Some sort of warning to get you scared seems in order.

2. It is difficult to imagine the Mojave Express are somehow more scary than a mafia boss. And if they were, I think Benny would be more afraid of them than me once he found out I was alive (and assumingly had reported an attack on one of their couriers).

And yeah, I am like this with movies that have weak spots in plots too. Stuff like this gets under my skin and itches. I like things to make sense even in a fantasy or sci-fi plot :)

well as for 1, its given to you when dock kicks your arse out the door, now you dont ever have to read the note, but yea, its there, and if you do read it, it becomes very clear.

Its not the Mojave Express that sends them, its the ones that contracted the delivery that would. I imagine the contracts change greatly from delivery to delivery, this just happens to be one that will kill you if you renig on the deal.

Revenge is not necessarily forced on you (although it's a very popular motivation in books and films). It's just that Benny makes it really hard not to kill him. In my first playthrough all I wanted was to have a little chat and see if I could side with him against House (my first character was rather devious).

In any case I prefer FNV to F3 on all counts (gameplay, story, setting).

You can mod almost anything but you can't really correct the biggest flaws in F3 and that is the writing (cringe worthy dialogues) and the story (athough we are meant to bond with James following Dad was a rather weak motivation for my characters, playing Dad's sidekick grows old even faster). I won't get into the plotholes (final sacrifice before Broken Steel or Autumn's instant magic rad away cure).

I find the freedom in FNV rather refreshing. The courier can be whoever you want him/her to be and you can make up your own RP and background. I've always felt F3 rather constrictive in that respect. It's really hard to find a way to justify playing a real bastard in F3. Blow up Megaton? Just for giggles? That qualifies the character as a psycho or a lunatic. Whereas FNV allows you to play a character who is more about the grey areas between the stereotypes and the extremes (the karma system still sucks though).

Last but not least FNV brings back a setting that is familiar to old Fallout players or players who have enjoyed the first two Fallout games. I first ran into the Fallout universe back in the summer of 97 when I first played the Fallout demo and I couldn't wait to get to play the game. I'm not a F3 hater. The way I see it we wouldn't be enjoying FNV if Bethesda hadn't brought back the franchise from oblivion (pun intended). Nevertheless it's clear to me that whereas F3 looks like a Fallout game FNV is a Fallout game.

I understand that players who have discovered the Fallout universe with Fallout 3 may prefer some of its features I just want to recommend playing the first Fallout to see how great it was and understand why it became such a praised game over the years and gathered such a strong (and vocal) fanbase.

I just wish Bethesda could get rid of the clunky and cumbersome pipboy that we are plagued with ever since F3...

Can you see a big clunky pipboy on this picture? :happy:

Edited by Shantih

I just wish Bethesda could get rid of the clunky and cumbersome pipboy that we are plagued with ever since F3...

You mean ever since FO1 ? And if they did, I honestly thing the game would simply flop. I know the readus is a popular mod, but hardcore Fallout fans are going to simply boycott the game if it does not have the pipboy :)

edit: Or did you mean keep the pipboy but make it less bulky or something? I would be ok for that, but the original games definately had a bulky one too.