Why do people seem to prefer Fallout New vegas to fallout 3.

arcane20

First post. Heh.

I think it's a "to each his own" kind of thing. Fallout 3 brought the franchise to a new medium, and those who experienced FO3 prior to NV will usually say they prefer its ambiance and atmosphere. You know, the flat plains, the greenish washed-out color scheme, downtown D.C. combined with strong historical influences.....They really nailed it.

In contrast, there are others who wouldn't hesitate to argue how easy and unbalanced the game was. Thus, they prefer the built-in challenges that the developers took the time to craft and balance for an enjoyable playthrough in Fallout New Vegas (even if those elements were ripped straight from FO3 mods). From the more complex storytelling and morality system to the enhanced crafting and varied weapon preparations, Fallout New Vegas suited those who just wanted game mechanics that actually made them feel like they were struggling to survive, while FO3 practically overpowered you halfway through the game. So no matter how much I love FO3, I still come back to New Vegas for actual things to do in an active world.

Me personally, I get moments when I just wanna run FO3 just to walk around. The world was so beautifully designed that I actually believed it was a destroyed, LONELY world.

....Maybe I just like those kind of environments in my post-apocalyptic games.

FNV playthroughs just feel like I'm playing as a self-appointed diplomat, trying to negotiate with numerous conflicting sides till I get what I want. I feel like I'm some badass official, and all the different factions are waiting for me to decide how to go about doing things, how to shape Nevada.

If I could just have a game that has the feel of FO3 and the RPG seriousness of FNV. Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Jeux

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of reasons that I prefer New Vegas over Fallout 3, but the main one (and the one everyone seems to overlook when this argument comes up) is that the writing in New Vegas is astronomically better. I mean, it's better by a considerably noticeable amount. The dialogue is richer, deeper, more nuanced and much more entertaining.

Also (another overlook factor in this discussion) the art direction in New Vegas is much, much better than in Fallout 3. I just felt like the world looked more vibrant and interesting and that everything made much more sense within the context of the world.

Fallout 3 had sub-par writing, zero replayability, a bunch of uninspired DLCs and suffered from the post-2006 Bethesda philosophy of treating the player like an idiot and showering him/her with gadgets that give significant permanent skill/stat bonuses.

New Vegas offers infinitely more interesting characters (especially the companions), factions, a proper wasteland setting, no copypasted subway stations and DLCs that are actually worth getting.

You're kinda scraping for things to say about fallout 3 here most of this is pretty weak.

I think new vegas has less replayability than Fallout 3. As for the gadgets they can and have been fully customised with the GECK.

As for the subways I don't see this as an issue in the slightest. As most subway stations are copy-pasted IRL so whatever your point was there I missed it. And even taking out the subway stations DC is still twice as big as New vegas.

In terms of the character and faction backstories go it would be dumb to pretend fallout 3 had interesting characters I mean even when

Your dad dies in Project purity I was apathetic about it.

I wouldn't mind a mod which gave the factions and companions a little more backstory to them. Beyond that I found the pitt an awesome expansion, brokensteel and zeta were fun and the rest were a bit crappy. I haven't played the New vegas DLC and I'm not sure they're going to be worth it.

Thanks for commenting everyone there's been some pretty interesting ones.

You're kinda scraping for things to say about fallout 3 here most of this is pretty weak.

I think new vegas has less replayability than Fallout 3. As for the gadgets they can and have been fully customised with the GECK.

As for the subways I don't see this as an issue in the slightest. As most subway stations are copy-pasted IRL so whatever your point was there I missed it. And even taking out the subway stations DC is still twice as big as New vegas.

In terms of the character and faction backstories go it would be dumb to pretend fallout 3 had interesting characters I mean even when

Your dad dies in Project purity I was apathetic about it.

I wouldn't mind a mod which gave the factions and companions a little more backstory to them. Beyond that I found the pitt an awesome expansion, brokensteel and zeta were fun and the rest were a bit crappy. I haven't played the New vegas DLC and I'm not sure they're going to be worth it.

Thanks for commenting everyone there's been some pretty interesting ones.

Having four different major endings (House, independent, Legion and NCR) offer less replayability than Fallout 3's single "be evil or be good"? Right..

Mods are irrelevant in this context, when comparing the vanilla, straight-out-of-the-box games Obsidian still comes out on top.

Edited by GenocideLolita

Fallout 3 was my introduction to the Fallout series and while flawed it delivered more than I expected, particularly along the lines of a society devastated by nuclear war. New Vegas comes off to me as little more than picking which gang to back as they fight over a speck in the desert containing very few points of interest in a story that is so far removed from a nuclear apocalypse to the point that I wonder why "Fallout" is even in the title.

I suppose I like it more because I am a southern girl who grew up watching "The Duke" aka John Wayne every Saturday at 12pm with my Grandpa, the western life style is ingrained into my heart forever.

I love the feel, the look, the grit of the time period... the respect for horses and the hard life on the farm.

I am and forever will be a country girl, and NV speaks to this part of me more then any game has ever before. It combines my love of the west with my love of apocalyptic settings I find it hard to put it down much life I found it hard to turn away from BG1-2, it just speaks to me the right way.

In NV you can be whoever you want to be before Benny, in FO3 your past is set there is no changing it to fit your character or RP. Now that does not mean I didnt like the FO3 start it was interesting and very different, and that is a good thing... but it left replaying it any more then a few times disappointing.

As a country person I really do not enjoy the cities all that much so its harder for me to love and enjoy it as much as NV, I own FO3 (and DLC) but have yet to get very far at all.

There also seems to be far less RP elements in it and if I am going to play a shooting game I need those elements, I am not the type of person who enjoys FPS without it being either with friends or online its just not as fun to me.

Fallout 3 was my introduction to the Fallout series and while flawed it delivered more than I expected, particularly along the lines of a society devastated by nuclear war. New Vegas comes off to me as little more than picking which gang to back as they fight over a speck in the desert containing very few points of interest in a story that is so far removed from a nuclear apocalypse to the point that I wonder why "Fallout" is even in the title.

This is every argument (mine included) about why fallout 3 is a much better experience the first time around. Only thing about Fallout 3 is it was a little detached from its predecessor's roots. And I'm not referring to location/design.

Edited by Jeux