Why do people seem to prefer Fallout New vegas to fallout 3.

arcane20

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fallout New Vegas had much much much more in it. Which is probably the reason why people say the game is "Buggy as Hell" and "Even more unstable".

Note: This post is quite opinionated, and is by no means meant to tell people that they made a poor choice in deciding which is better.

Both have things the other game doesn't have.

I've played both games, and I've played New Vegas for less than a week and I already found it about 10x better than Fallout 3. Heres the comparisons:

I see a lot of people bashing each other in this topic. I thought I might aswell throw in my opinion. After all, this is a debate :P LONG POST AHEAD!

Fallout 3:

Lack of Customisability - Age, Weapons, Armor, Ammunition types etc. Levels (20, 30 with Broken Steel) - Age is due to the Story, Lone Wanderer being 19 Years Old)

Lack of Factions - Brotherhood of Steel, the Enclave, Regulators, Slavers (City Factions don't count) - more specifically, the ones you have to do with and can join

Content Skipping - You can ignore the first few quests on the main line: Megaton - GNR - Rivet City - Jefferson Memorial, and just head straight to Vault 112

Status - Good or Evil. You pick the Good option or the Evil option. Of which has NOTHING to do with how the other factions react to you. Being somewhere in between is pointless.

Difficulty - Has a lack of Realism. Unnamed Weapons - Taking more than 300 Assault Rifle bullets to bring down an Scorpion (With Psycho and 100 Guns)

Lack of Quests - 11 Main Quests, 3 Tutorial Quests, 17 Optional Side Quests

Pointless Items - Water/Food. Sure, it restores a very small amount of Health, but otherwise holds no other purpose. Maybe a bit of Karma gain at the best.

More Freedom - More Freedom to move accross the Wasteland. Until you get to the DC Ruins, then the "Fun" Begins!

Voice Acting - Not much of an Improvement from Oblivion, due to the lack of characters, I didn't manage to find NPCs talking to each other about an item they bought from a shop that is owned by themselves.

Boring DLC's: (At least after the first playthrough)

Anchorage: Had NOTHING to do with the Main Plotline, apart from you meet the General who gave Braun a Failsafe Chinese Invasion Program for Tranquility Lane. (No Mentions of it)

The Pitt: Had some backstory of the Pitt's Leader, and how he used to be in the Brotherhood of Steel - When they invaded the area in search of Tech. Wasn't bad.. But not good either.

Point Lookout: Reminds me of "The Hills have Eyes" - The mutated Swamp Folk that do massive amounts of damage, while taking very little themselves. No story, or reason why its there.

Broken Steel: Short, wasn't worth the money.

Zeta: Pointless. Cheaper than the others, but otherwise not worth playing through more than once. Not to mention the glitches.

Fallout: New Vegas:

Quests - 3 Tutorial Quests, 2 Main Quests

Faction Quests - 7 Yes Man Quests, 3 Mr House, 6 NCR, 4 Caesars Legion

Side Quests - 73+ (Grand Total, A few being Faction Dependant) - Side quests here total more than Fallout 3, DLC and the unmarked quests combined. It's a shame.

Voice Acting - Unquestioningly Better. ALL named characters have different voices. Including many of the repeated names like NCR Trooper

DLC - Actually has relevance to the game, and the characters within are mentioned somewhere. Dead Money - Father Elijah (Elder), Christine

Difficulty - Hardcore Difficulty. Makes those otherwise almost activities in Fallout 3, Useful. Drinking Water, Eating, Sleeping, Ammo with Weight. Healing over time. Lots of Realism

Customisation - Apply Silencers, Scopes etc.

Exploration - Much less copy and paste going on. Vaults for example look different in many ways. At least in terms of Layout.

Monsters - a lot more Varieties. Baby Deathclaw, Young Deathclaw, Deathclaw, Deathclaw Alphamale, Deathclaw Mother, Legendary Deathclaw,

Status - Whatever you do, affects your status with other factions (Partly to what they are aiming towards in Skyrim

DLCs: Difficult, Especially Dead Money, and was actually worth playing more than once. Also, epic lore behind them. Unlike FO3

Levels: Although there are a few more levels in New Vegas, you don't get to have many of the perks you gain from levelling due to picking a perk every 2 levels. Bad Move.

Nuisence Items: 9mm casings etc. I'm not sure about the use of them, they normally end up in a dumpster when i clear out inventory.

Makes you Read: Best example is the final stage of Dead Money, at the Terminal in the Vault. a lot of quests are not a dead give away in the objectives, you actually have to look, or it's game over.

Combat: People will actually come to track you down, or Ambush you. Legionnaire Assassins, Viper Gang on the road to Novac.

You're free to run wherever you please, but there are annoying barriers everywhere. I.E. You can't run over small hills. For example, a small hill by the road towards Hoover Dam. :wallbash:

Neutral feelings:

Fallout 3: Has a background story on the Lone Wanderer, but you experience this within the next 5 minutes of hitting "New Game" option on the title screen (Troll) - A tiny bit later on that the Lone Wanderer wasn't actually born in the Vault. After that, a dead trail.

New Vegas: Invent your own Backstory. No information on the Couriers family, or where he or she came from.

I could go on further. But I've already spent a good 45 mins or more on this post. I'm a little bit of a critic in a sense. I like my games to hold some sense of Realism, but not too much realism where a Fantasy RPG becomes another Call of Duty. If everything in an RPG died in one hit, then the games would be extremely short.

Both: Falling 15 feet and dying from the fall. MASSIVE criticism.

TL;DR:

The thing that really sets both games apart, is the Hardcore Mode. This isn't just the weighted ammo, it's everything else in general.

Javalin

if you think about it, new vegas is basically a modded fallout 3 for consoles and a different story n new items

ironsight mode: rh ironsights

weapon mods: wmx

companion wheel: fwe enhanced companions

hardcore mode: fallout wanderers edition

ok cool, but no EVE?, no RTS dlc?, no sprinting? huge cap inflation ( fallout 3 10mm pistol: $100, new vegas 10 mm pistol: $800), smaller explorable world,less fighting.

if obsidian was able to import those mods. why didnt they import EVE, and only some of fallout wanderer's edition. this is why bethesda games are only fun on pc, because the developers dont put fun content, so we have to do it ourselves

if you think about it, new vegas is basically a modded fallout 3 for consoles and a different story n new items

ironsight mode: rh ironsights

weapon mods: wmx

companion wheel: fwe enhanced companions

hardcore mode: fallout wanderers edition

ok cool, but no EVE?, no RTS dlc?, no sprinting? huge cap inflation ( fallout 3 10mm pistol: $100, new vegas 10 mm pistol: $800), smaller explorable world,less fighting.

if obsidian was able to import those mods. why didnt they import EVE, and only some of fallout wanderer's edition. this is why bethesda games are only fun on pc, because the developers dont put fun content, so we have to do it ourselves

Those 4 mods you mentioned should've been included in Fallout 3.

I highly doubt Obsidian used DIRECT copies of the mods as what the post suggests with "Importing Mods" - Inspiration, and creating versions of their own.

EVE - I didn't download that myself. Maybe it could've done with changes like that. I suppose this wasn't included to keep the system requirements down.

RTS - If you're refering to RTS as a game type. Then since RTS' are randomly generated maps, it wouldn't require DLC. If this isn't what you are refering to. Please elaborate :(

Sprinting - It would almost make the game like Call of Duty. If the game world was bigger than Oblivion, I'd change my mind.

Huge Cap Inflation - The inflation was because caps were considerably easier to come by in New Vegas. Where in Fallout 3, most tend not to get anywhere near 10k Caps. If there wasn't the inflation, where would you get all your weapon mods, ammo etc.

Smaller World - I completely agree. But the fact that there are barriers on the majority of hills to stop you taking shortcuts kind of makes up for that. Fast Travel doesn't really do the game any favours, and probably never has. Even on Oblivion, it did no favours whatsoever.

All in all, Obsidian did look at mods for inspiration. Where Bethesda had time and time again, failed. Probably the reason that New Vegas doesn't require many mods to make it the Perfect Game. Fallout 3 requires an infinite amount of mods, but still becomes boring quickly aswell as becoming more and more unstable. (Double Edged Sword as it were)

New Vegas' main problem, is the lack of "Original" Mods. Just something that hasn't been done before. I've not seen any New Vegas mods that i've never seen before.

Well put javelin. Elequently put. the 9mm casings are for making your own 9mm ammo. One of my criticisms would be that ammo is too common in both games. Especially in vegas, i wish it was hard to find and you had to buy it or make your own using your skill. Then the game would be truely epic.

Well put javelin. Elequently put. the 9mm casings are for making your own 9mm ammo. One of my criticisms would be that ammo is too common in both games. Especially in vegas, i wish it was hard to find and you had to buy it or make your own using your skill. Then the game would be truely epic.

Guns and ammo are both too common.

*Resists urge to hurl a Baldrick type turnip in the direction of Obsidian and hurls a rather more appropriate turkey...*

Actually Kendo is not the only person that thinks FONV is a turkey and totally the pits. I do too.

Those collision barriers suck. It goes against everything that I love about Bethesda Games which are among the few truly open world, non linear games around. I don't appreciate being corralled and martialled in RL and I don't appreciate in my leisure time either. When the Super Jump mod fails, I guess there is always `TCL

And say what you like, that so called clever faction interplay is so clever it trips over itself, and can render the game almost unplayable.

"Makes you Read: Best example is the final stage of Dead Money, at the Terminal in the Vault. a lot of quests are not a dead give away in the objectives, you actually have to look, or it's game over"

Yeah, big deal, if I want an intellectually challenging pursuit in my leisure time, I'll read Virgil in the original Latin or something. I don't need a video game to make me read (been doing it since before they were around.)

But of course, Obsidian had their finger in the New Vegas pie, so New Vegas MUST be good (sarcasm).

*Resists urge to hurl a Baldrick type turnip in the direction of Obsidian and hurls a rather more appropriate turkey...*

Actually Kendo is not the only person that thinks FONV is a turkey and totally the pits. I do too.

Those collision barriers suck. It goes against everything that I love about Bethesda Games which are among the few truly open world, non linear games around. I don't appreciate being corralled and martialled in RL and I don't appreciate in my leisure time either. When the Super Jump mod fails, I guess there is always `TCL

And say what you like, that so called clever faction interplay is so clever it trips over itself, and can render the game almost unplayable.

"Makes you Read: Best example is the final stage of Dead Money, at the Terminal in the Vault. a lot of quests are not a dead give away in the objectives, you actually have to look, or it's game over"

Yeah, big deal, if I want an intellectually challenging pursuit in my leisure time, I'll read Virgil in the original Latin or something. I don't need a video game to make me read (been doing it since before they were around.)

But of course, Obsidian had their finger in the New Vegas pie, so New Vegas MUST be good (sarcasm).

You seem rather aggressive. It's down to personal preference. People were just listing the reasons why they think it's better. Like myself. Bethesda had the thing for making you feel like an idiot. I got to the end of Dead Money - I chose not to read the messages on the computer, and ended up clicking both. Then Game Over. When i did read it. I felt stupid :P cos bethesda taught me to act stupid

Contrary to popular belief, the faction system doesn't break the game in any way. It only makes you suffer the consequences of your previous actions.

I.E. if the player has done enough quests for the Legion to receive vilified status with the NCR, it should be pretty damn obvious that the player can't just waltz into the Strip and expect to be greeted with open arms. Of course, some people expect the game to hold their hand and tell them the exact consequences of each and every action the player takes in the game.

Edited by GenocideLolita