Bethesda sues Notch over the use of the word "Scrolls"

yoba333

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Bethesda stop going undertaking just about any form of stupidity in order to make more money? There is no way that anybody could confuse a game called 'SCROLLS' with a series of games called 'ELDER SCROLLS'. Not that I consider Microsoft to be a great corporation but in this case, when Bethesda demands money up front even as it announces its intention, then I am on the side of Microsoft. This has also the appearance of being a sour joke and I hope that Bethesda gets defeated in court and has to pay all legal costs.

An addition to my original comment. ZeniMax seems to be the corporation doing the suing and I hope, in this case, that ZeniMax loses badly and has to pay legal costs.

An addition to my original comment. ZeniMax seems to be the corporation doing the suing and I hope, in this case, that ZeniMax loses badly and has to pay legal costs.

I'm not at all fond of Notch due to his utter laziness in refusing to support female avatars in Minecraft so on the one hand this amuses me.

On the other hand a quick search in GameFAQs shows a couple of games with the word "Scrolls" in them that predate TES Arena such as The Magnetic Scrolls and The Scrolls of Abadon so yeah.. you don't own that word, Zenimax.

Reminds me of the time Lucasfilm tried to copyright the word "Star".

Well... I do recall reading a few posts on the Minecraft forums where people actually thought Notch and his team were working on Skyrim. Apparently they thought his Scrolls game was the new Elder Scrolls game.

I don't think they should sue over it, but obviously, even only if a little, it can lead to confusion for some people. Probably only a handful. I would hope.

Edited by Aleyn

Well I like to think of the positives of this situation. For example, have you guys heard that Notch is making a new game? Yeah I didnt know either before I read this post :biggrin: . Whats that you say? They are getting sued over a petty, insignificant, and ultimately unimportant reason of having a similar name that they so far are only using for inhouse testing purposes :unsure: ?

Leasons to draw from this whole debacle?

Bethesda :wub:

Notch :wub:

:sick: :sick: :sick: Zenimax :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :down: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :dry: :dry: :dry:

Can Activision sue that game, what is it called "Call of Juarez" or something like that for using "Call of" in front of it? Edited by dree74