Steamworks confirmed.

ThomasKra

So what does Steamworks mean for Modding?

What about installing to my custom Games folder (Makes it easy for me to mod and keep track of my games.)

Will I need to be always online for Skyrim now?

Will I need to always be on Steam to play?

Also, it seems clear that retail versions will use Steamworks as well.Thus my questions.

It will be exactly the same as New Vegas.

Which is a game I never played. I have seen it played exactly once, and that was on a 360. so you haven't answered my question.

Oh, sorry.

Anyways, all you have to do is link the game online through steam once. Then you can play offline whenever you like.

Doesn't effect modding at all, OBSE included.

You can install games in other directories but you have to go through an extra step of creating junction points with the command prompt, at least thats how I did it.

Extra step? oh boy. This will be fun to install. What is this extra step?

this was linked to earlier in the thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664376

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone please explain what is Steamworks? I know what Steam itself is. Also I heard that New Vegas is on Steamworks? What difference does it make?

Steam = Digital distribution that you choose to use.

Steamworks = DRM that forces online registration of physical retail purchased games and prevents their resale.

Steam = Digital distribution that you choose to use.

Steamworks = DRM that forces online registration of physical retail purchased games and prevents their resale.

Ah, so it's like a security measure. Ok, thanks.

However, the forced update thing should change since I altered the permissions on my Steam folder.

You can just set it to not automatically update. Right click in library -> Properties -> Updates -> Automatic Updates. I've never actually tried it, but it should work.

I and numerous others have tried that and found that it doesn't work. That's why we have had to alter the permissions for the entire Steam folder.

And, Hector530, people have also found that Steam causes issues with mods, no matter how hard you and the other Steam fanboys and girls try to deny it. If you doubt this, try looking at the Type 3 New Vegas support thread. It's a combination of the hit and miss ability to disable auto updates and the fact that you have to remember to back up your configuration ini's. Some of us know how to fix the issues, people new to modding - and we all have to start somewhere - do not. Less condescension, please.

I and numerous others have tried that and found that it doesn't work. That's why we have had to alter the permissions for the entire Steam folder.

And, Hector530, people have also found that Steam causes issues with mods, no matter how hard you and the other Steam fanboys and girls try to deny it. If you doubt this, try looking at the Type 3 New Vegas support thread. It's a combination of the hit and miss ability to disable auto updates and the fact that you have to remember to back up your configuration ini's. Some of us know how to fix the issues, people new to modding - and we all have to start somewhere - do not. Less condescension, please.

As far as I know Type 3 is the only mod heaving problems, even though it's only a body replacer.

The texture overhauls, extremely scripted mods etc all work flawlessly.

Also you can't always come up with Type 3.

That's old news, and I think it's because Obsidian did something with the code, not because of steam.

Anyway, we don't know if we will require any kind of Archive Invalidation because of the new engine.

And the most important thing is that New Vegas wasn't developed by Bethesda, so it's wrong to think that Skyrim will have problems with mods.

Please tell me one mod for Oblivion/Fallout 3 that didn't work/had problems because of Steam, I can't think of one.

I can assure you all mods will work for Skyrim, if not then that's not Steam's fault but the game's code.

Type 3 has problems because the game requires textures to be invalidated, not because of Steam.