Prices...

LeopoldCrank

On my PC I too have a six core CPU.

OB uses 100% of one core and 25% of a second.

FO3 uses 100% of one core, 50% of a second and 25% of both a third and fourth.

If we are lucky Skyrim will better that by using 100% of two cores and 50% of a third and fourth.

OB is same.

But here FO3 uses 90% of 2 cores,

I think we can expect something similar to Fallout 3, maybe a bit better. I'm hoping for 4 core support.

Though that won't matter if it won't be optimized. I don't know what to expect since the engine is totally rebuilt, but I'm hoping for a steady 60 FPS with a bit of tweaking. (Not on max AA and AF obviously)

so everything it produces runs on exactly 1 core

FO3 uses more than one core.

read the entire original quote

it's much more coherent then

and I stand by the assessment

Nope. I can't say I ever understand you when you post something. I stand by that. :dance:

Maybe you should look at the patch updates it shows that they support more than one core. After all Quad and up are virtual cores if I remember right.

Why is the PC version at EB games $88 whilst the console versions are both $108? I don't see the difference, particularly why the difference is as large as $20, when the graphics on the PC version are far better, mod capability exists (so it actually comes with extra stuff technically) etc.

A slightly rambly reply - probably off target.

When there was the rumours that the game might only be available via Steam, I allowed my addled mind to create some extreme theories (remember -- never believe your own theories!), and there seemed to be two possible reasons that Bethesda might do that:

1) "Laziness"

The game is being produced for PS, XBOX, and PC: so that's three different sets of platform code to create -- if the PC version could be installed via Steam and via disk, then that's two different sets of code that would have to be written, and fully tested for the PC.

.. so, extra work and extra cost if two installation methods provided

.. recall, PC only accounts for maybe 15% of the market for the game

(ps -- I don't consider this as 'laziness' -- it's quite prudent, remember, I'm allowing my mind to be daft)

2) "Conspiracy"

Perhaps Valve could have provided a 'sweetener' for Bethesda to use Steam -- this would make it cheaper for the game to be released for PC (which could account for a lower price), and would give Valve great publicity. Sure there would be people who cannot use Steam (like me), but that'd be the smallest proportion of a small market (say 5% of the 15% that would buy the PC version); but most people who want Skyrim would get Steam for the first time, exposing them to other Steam products to buy.

Recall -- these are 'extreme - silly' thoughts for which I take no irresponsibility.

After hearing the Steam would be required, I tried looking for a little information, and naturally got completely lost (sigh), but came across some Valve publicity for games producers, and as well as stating that they have 50,000 game servers, claimed that (paraphrasing this):

traditional disk based style game release would return 40% of the game price to the game producer (rest going to middle men);

whereas releasing a game via Steam would result in them getting 70% of the game price.

So, if you want to know why there could be a price differential:

it's possible that Bethesda are pricing so they get the same/similar price per game unit at their end, and the price differences are caused by the level of middlemen involved in the sales.

Hopefully a reasonable reply after an unreasonable build up.

Nope. I can't say I ever understand you when you post something. I stand by that. :dance:

maybe its because I left out the part about the trained cyber monkeys doing the original coding

or was it the black helicopters