Skrim mostly DX9?

arcane20

Skyrim Direct X info from todd howard

This link shows here that though direct X 11 support is a possibilty the game will be mostly a DX9 game.

DX10 was released in what 2005? 2006? 5 or 6 years later....

NV was completely ruined for me because of the bugs and performance issues, I don't want this to happen with skyrim.

So yeah so far:

DX9 game :down:

Uses Havok instead of good physics with cloth simulation. So modding clothing will remain just as akward as it has always been. :facepalm:

No 64-bit Exe :down:

This isn't going to be a PC game. The more I learn about it the less enthusiastic I get about it. Right now My ethusiasm meter is on meh. :dry:

Edited by arcane20

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's because the 360 only supports up to DX9. Any effects or technologies they added requiring DX11 would basically have to be specifically done for the PC version. And call me daft but I'm happy they're not requiring DX11: Some of us don't have 4000 dollars to spend on a new computer every time a new game comes out.

It's because the 360 only supports up to DX9. Any effects or technologies they added requiring DX11 would basically have to be specifically done for the PC version. And call me daft but I'm happy they're not requiring DX11: Some of us don't have 4000 dollars to spend on a new computer every time a new game comes out.

Having DX 11 doesn't mean needing a new computer and $4000 is one hell of a computer. DX11 only requires a GPU upgrade not an entire system upgrade also. With the price of GPU's today; $200 will get you more than you need. In Deus Ex you can turn DX11 on and off. I know why it's still DX9 but I just feel like they're disregarding all of the PC gamers. Also if you're saying your computer doesn't run games too well it's good to keep in mind DX 10 and 11 both come with performance gains not losses. I don't know of a PC game where you cannot configure the graphics to meet your needs. There's really no excuse for it.

The vast number of incredibly poorly optimized PC ports kinda weakens your "you can just adjust your settings" argument. For example: I can play Dragon Age: Origins on maximum settings with decent (30-40) FPS but GTA IV only runs with literally 1-5 FPS turning all the settings (including screen resolution) down to absolute minimum. Inexcusable for the developers maybe but it's quite unfair to blame gamers for that. If optimization is too much to ask for (and apparently, it is) I'm perfectly willing to settle for less fidelity in exchange for playability.

This link shows here that though direct X 11 support is a possibilty the game will be mostly a DX9 game.

NV was completely ruined for me because of the bugs and performance issues, I don't want this to happen with skyrim.

So yeah so far:

Uses Havok instead of good physics with cloth simulation. So modding clothing will remain just as akward as it has always been. :down:

This isn't going to be a PC game. The more I learn about it the less enthusiastic I get about it. Right now My ethusiasm meter is on meh. :dry:

I couldn't agree more, DirectX 9 is coming up to being ten years old and time has moved on. Why can the likes of EA and Codemasters support DirectX 11 and not Bethesda? there is no excuse. On the subject of physics Havok can do clothes, if it's not in the game then it's down to Bethesda rather than Havok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daZoXzBGea0

So yeah so far:

Uses Havok instead of good physics with cloth simulation. So modding clothing will remain just as akward as it has always been. :down:

I couldn't agree more, DirectX 9 is coming up to being ten years old and time has moved on. Why can the likes of EA and Codemasters support DirectX 11 and not Bethesda? there is no excuse. On the subject of physics Havok can do clothes, if it's not in the game then it's down to Bethesda rather than Havok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daZoXzBGea0

I feel like a bit of an idiot now Actually. Because I just realised that 3ds max uses havok. I actually used havok to model one of my armours. :facepalm: Should of thought for a moment that they might have been the same thing. Maybe it was the frustration talking. Yeah hope it does have cloth simulation though.