magnetized screwdrivers

just making sure using one to build a PC is safe ya? ive been recommended to use one as it can make things simpler so just double checking to make sure im safe using it lol

They're good if you like to not lose all the screws you unscrew inside every little cavity in your case and hardware, like mobo.

Unless you're using some weird screwdriver with an electromagnet, then you're safe. (assuming you're asking whether the magnetism will break your components or not)

Edited by Nysba

The fear of magnetized tools is justified when working on magnetic tape recorders (mainly those old cassete recorders and magnetic dependent hardware in general), where it could bias the heads and in that case with a reason.

PS: The HD has the heads shielded by the case, unless a really powerful magnet is used (what clearly is not the case) the tool itself is more dangerous than its magnetized tip.

Edited by nosisab

ya i basically googled it and while a lot of people were afraid of it, the general jist of it was, as long as your not stabbing the chips with the screwdriver, then your safe. lol

i gotta get a PC tool kit for my college class, and the kits on newegg all seem to have to much stuff, i think im just gunna grab a magnetized screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers lol...anything else you guys would recommend for a "tool kit"

If was to work with general electronics, the ideal toolset looks unattainable, to work just with desktop case, those are pretty enough :)

For college class you should include complete screwdrivers set, at least one cutting pliers. The ideal toolset is that one that have the tool you need for that job. On college should be strongly discouraged using wrong tools, a bad habit.

Edited by nosisab

ya, ill look into some of the like 11 piece sets or something, but i doubt ill need a 60 piece set lol. plus i prolly have most of the stuff in the garage anyways.

a set of screwdrivers and some pliers and wire cutters sounds decent enough. ive just never worked on PCs before so idk what id need, thought the videos and whatnot ive seen only use a screwdriver mostly lol.

The injunction on not using magnetic tools was mainly for use around floppy disks. As those are now rare, and becoming more so by the day It should not be a problem. I use magnetic screwdrivers on PCs now with no problems.

As for tools, a small phillips size #0, a standard phillips size #2, a small slotted screwdriver, a medium slotted screwdriver with a longer shaft. Small needle nosed pliers. Small wire cutter, a chip removal tool (like tweezers with hooked ends) And I like to have a set of smaller sized nut drivers also.

When all else fails, a BIG hammer. :tongue:

Edit - almost forgot, a 1 inch wide paintbrush with natural bristles (non static) Used for cleaning dust out of heat-sinks and other places it shouldn't be.