magnetized screwdrivers

Edit - almost forgot, a 1 inch wide paintbrush with natural bristles (non static) Used for cleaning dust out of heat-sinks and other places it shouldn't be.

Gawd been wondering along that problem -- what an obvious solution

Thanks

this is the only god damn set that has magnetic screwdrivers!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899261022

maybe ill just take a swing down to my Home Depot and find a set. i really dont want 45 pieces, only ever using freaking 5. maybe ill be able to find a small magnetic tip set at HD. i rly want the magnetic tips, cause ive taken apart my laptops, an those screws are tiny! and annoying to hold with my fingers lol, and i dont even have big hands!!

other possibles:

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2767-Pro-Screwdriver-6-Piece/dp/B0037GQ2OW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1315287847&sr=8-5

http://www.amazon.com/Eforcity-Magnetic-Screwdriver-Set-Bits/dp/B000EE44OK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1315287847&sr=8-10

http://www.amazon.com/Trademark-75-5216-16-Piece-Precision-Jewelers/dp/B0018TKBHY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315288048&sr=8-2

all are magnetics sets. im looking more into just a good screwdriver set, cause pliers and wire cutters i have at the house. the first one is appealing for the different depths it can reach, but are all the same size. second one is the well rounded one and the one im leaning to and is also very cheap (could be a bad thing, and idc about price as all three are cheap imo) i kinda like the last one only because of the different pliers which i could see uses for possibly, but a bunch of useless screwdrivers for the most part since they are all soo small and dont go above #1.

any advice on which one you think i could get the most out of would be much appreciated! :D

Edited by hoofhearted4

Whenever you buy a set, you are going to end up with some tools you never use. Over time I have removed those unused tools from my kit based on experience. If you are only going to use the kit for computer work, stick with the computer set as there will be fewer useless tools in it. And fewer that you will need to add separately.

I prefer separate screwdrivers with thin blades as those interchangeable tips may be too big to fit into some of the deep holes in laptop cases. Either they won't go in at all, or get stuck. Having a good set of interchangeable non standard - clutch tip, torx and some security type tips is a good idea for those makers that consider screws as security devices to keep the casual tinkerer out. :biggrin:

Cheap tools are for casual users. Some of my tools are nearly 40 years old and still in daily use. I pay extra for top quality tools and have never regretted it.

For most usages seen proposed here, a three prongs holder is a much better solution than magnetic screwdrivers.

At least it can grab non magnetic small thingies that love to make Murphy's laws true :)

Edited by nosisab

You can use any reasonably strong magnet to magnetize a screwdriver - No special device needed.

place the magnet at one end of the metal shaft, slide it along the shaft to the other end. lift the magnet. Repeat about 10 to 20 times for a magnetized screwdriver.

The only advantage to this special tool is that it can remove or reverse the magnetism by sticking the screwdriver in it the opposite way and sliding it back and forth. But for the price, it may be worth having.

You can use any reasonably strong magnet to magnetize a screwdriver - No special device needed.

place the magnet at one end of the metal shaft, slide it along the shaft to the other end. lift the magnet. Repeat about 10 to 20 times for a magnetized screwdriver.

The only advantage to this special tool is that it can remove or reverse the magnetism by sticking the screwdriver in it the opposite way and sliding it back and forth. But for the price, it may be worth having.

I'm not sure if that is a response to my previous post, if so is because I don't know how to better describe the tool I mentioned, it is a tube with three thin leads hook like which opens when pulled out and closes around small pieces to grasp them firmly, a very useful multipurpose tool that can grab small pieces of plastic as well as metallic screws.

Edit: I see you answered the post before mine, please disregard the above yet it may help to describe the tool to those who don't know it, at least I hope so.

Edited by nosisab

• 1 month later...