Occupy Wall Street

SilverDNA

It is disingenuous to assert that this is anything more than grandstanding for the cameras.

I disagree. Many small protests happen and they are made in a genuine concern. I think the concern is real and doing something is better than saying just sit back and let it happen. What would be disingenuous is sitting back and just complaining about Washington being bought out and at the say time condemning people who are actively doing something about it.

Sure it might not do anything in the end if the 99% has been divided and conquered already. I don't see how the main statement of the protest isn't actually supported on this forum when it gets complained about so much.

Edited by Ghogiel

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I support them, and agree with their cause, for the most part. (the "greece" references bother me though..... not sure what they are expecting there....) I just don't see this being anything more than just a flash in the pan, with the end result being: Nothing Changes.

Draconix, in view of recent discussions on another thread regarding how to make our debates more palatable for everyone, might I suggest that when responding to other posters it might be best to use their names. There are those among us who are not particularly comfortable with the use of appelations such as "dude", "pal", "bud" or whatever. It is much easier to just use your fellow debator's name. Then we can all be sure to whom you are referring. Just a thought....

Oh, I support them, and agree with their cause, for the most part. (the "greece" references bother me though..... not sure what they are expecting there....) I just don't see this being anything more than just a flash in the pan, with the end result being: Nothing Changes.

I think the solidarity with Greece is opposition to uncontrolled government spending.

I think the solidarity with Greece is opposition to uncontrolled government spending.

Not so sure about that, most of the political unrest in greece right now is folks NOT wanting the benefits they have become accustomed to curtailed. I.E. They don't like the austerity measures that are becoming necessary because of government over-spending. (something I see in the future for the US as well....)

Not so sure about that, most of the political unrest in greece right now is folks NOT wanting the benefits they have become accustomed to curtailed. I.E. They don't like the austerity measures that are becoming necessary because of government over-spending. (something I see in the future for the US as well....)

Because this situation is because government overspending in the first place, and they have simply passed the buck to the 99% to pick up.

Seriously? The Greek protests are about government austerity (in response to the EU demand that they clean up their financial act) and the curtailment of social entitlements.

"I think the solidarity with Greece is opposition to uncontrolled government spending."

Did I miss something here? Because this seems to say that the protests were about uncontrolled spending not the curtailment of spending which is what the protests were about. That running of a massive continuing unsupportable deficit by the Greek government is surely a road to financial ruin, that much I agree. So in essence they have nothing in common with the Wall Street protests, two totally divergent aims.

Edited by Aurielius

Please folks Greece is only very indirect point of occupy wall street topic

If you only want to look at the EU and Greece make up another topic.

Please keep on topic

Best idea would be to look up who owns wall street .... might be there is enough gun powder for your taste