What happened to Modern Firearms (Gunsmith Edition)?

whatman22

I'm definitely going to give him the benefit of the doubt until someone proves to me that he did.

Contrary to what you seem to think, I'm taking the same stance on this. I would have expected a permanent ban, or at least longer than only a week if he had known that the content was stolen and used it anyway. As I mentioned in my post, I have a lot of respect for him and if he is innocent in this affair he will have my empathy, and I very much hope that he is indeed innocent. Usually I don't reply to threads like these because I really don't like sticking my nose in the personal affairs of others, and like you said, it's very unfair to speculate when he has no means to defend himself; the only reason I made an exception this time is because of how much I respect his work and how much I hope that I can continue to respect the author himself.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't Azhtek the author of Shrapnel for NV, which was also taken down due to stolen content? I always thought of Modern Firearms as Fallout 4's equivalent of Shrapnel; I guess I was more correct about that than I realized. Anyway, I noticed a few of the weapons added with the 2.03 beta seemed like rips (completely different style of textures, lower polycount meshes, etc) so I'd be lying if I said this surprised me, but it is pretty disappointing. Anyone with common sense should know that maybe a small, unpopular mod could possibly get away with theft (not that it should - anything using stolen content should be removed with harsh consequences for the uploader), but anything popular - like MF, which I'm pretty sure was in the top 10 most downloaded weapon mods for FO4 - is going to be scrutinized to a very high degree. I find it hard to believe he would have the hubris to take an interview from Bethesda if he knew that his mod was using stolen content, but s***, I could be wrong.

If he didn't know, I feel sorry for him for getting roped up in this mess, and I'm glad he only received a one week ban for it. If he did know, however, pretty much all of my respect for him will go right out the window. It was pretty obvious he wasn't making (most of, possibly all of) the models and textures himself, but I assumed they were supplied to him by the original creators with their consent to use them. Still, I'm sure it took a ton of work to get all of it in the game (especially considering he did it all without the CK until 2.11) and I will respect that work no matter what. The question is if I can continue to respect him as a mod author, and even just as a person in general.

That kind of speculation when the guy can't defend himself doesn't really serve a purpose now, does it? He never claimed to be making the models. Many of the early ones were ports (with permission) of Exciter's numerous packs for FNV. In fact, he turned down requests to make many new weapons for people because he couldn't find a suitable public domain model or, if a mod of that weapon already existed in a usable form, couldn't get permission from the original author. Many of the comments were discussions on how to get a sup-par PD models to look decent enough to include in the mod. Apparently... according to Micalov... the site he was getting them from was a well known "rip" site but it doesn't necessarily follow that he knew that or that the particular models he was using were rips. I'm definitely going to give him the benefit of the doubt until someone proves to me that he did. The fact that he only got a week's ban... the very first time I've ever seen anything but a summary execution in all my time on the Nexus... shows that admin is looking at this in a different light than usual too. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but I'm not going to sit here and speculate on his character when he's not here to defend himself.

It's not the first time someone gets a lighter punishment for using ripped content. Happens weekly almost ,specially with F4 here, that someone uses some kind of copyrighted material and gets only a warning. Let's not forget the ewi saga either. The fact that he was punished fully proves his guilt and there's no benefit of doubt to be given.

The fact that he was punished fully proves his guilt? Wow! Just... wow. :/

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know what the latest news on M.F. (G.E.) is. I notice there are mods for that mod up on the Nexus but M.F. (G.E.) itself is still not available for download. Hmm never fails when someone does a nice gun mod for a fallout game always seems to get yanked from Nexus. You would think that Bethesda by now (after 3 games ) would have picked up on the fact that weapon models that are based on actual Firearms are wildly popular, and taken action accordingly to please the players (maybe a weapons pack or something?) This is like a replay of what happened to Earache 42 with his great FO3,NV weapon mods. I will admit for someone that is not a mod maker, I'm somewhat ignorant on exactly what the issue is about where the images used for the mods comes from. It would seem to me that if someone wanted to make a weapon mod and needed images they could contact the manufacturers and get permission for use ( wouldn't this be great free publicity?)

I will admit for someone that is not a mod maker, I'm somewhat ignorant on exactly what the issue is about where the images used for the mods comes from.

Imagine that you're a painter and paint a really nice picture. Someone comes along to you and says "I'd like to buy a printed copy of that picture, what if I give you $10 for it." Now imagine it took you twenty hours to make that picture, $2/hour isn't exactly a good pay rate. Still, you sell them the copy because you figure you've still got the original and if you keep on selling prints and maybe one day sell the original you'll make back a decent living wage or maybe even a profit for your time and effort.

You discover though that no one is buying your prints, because that fellow who bought the first one is giving away hundreds of free copies that he's printing off himself from the copy you gave him. Let's say he's even being nice and crediting you as the original artist and he's just giving them away because he loves the artwork so much. If that happened would you continue to be an artist? You'd make better money going off and working at McDonalds instead. Alternatively you might start raising the price of your prints, so that you can still make a living in spite of the theft or you'd put in more and more security features. As a result it gets harder and harder for anyone to get their hands on art around the country.

In order to stop this happening and harming the economy and art and enjoyment of the population, the governments of most countries passed laws that makes this sort of copying and distribution without permission illegal. The people who do it can run into civil or in some jurisdictions criminal prosecution. What's more the owners of the website where it happens could also run into legal difficulties. As such the Nexus doesn't allow people to do this because it's against the law a lot of times, it's unfair to artists and it could potentially shut down the website all together.

If you like having easy access to mods, it's best to support the protections that help the people who make them stay "in business". Even when it's for free, as it is on Nexus, it can still impact the livelihood, motivation and other intangible rewards that go to content creators. It also protects the website and allows them to stay in business giving you a nice easy place to get your mods from.

Does that help?

Edit: It's not because they're based on real world guns (although that is actually sort of illegal too depending on circumstances but let's not make this too complicated, that's an entirely different issue). It's because the exact files used were created by someone else and their work was then stolen without their permission.

Edited by PoliteRaider

stolen without their permission.

...is there ever a stolen *with* permission situation?

That's like saying "was killed to death" or "a deadly murder". =P

...I'll leave now.

Maybe it's possible, but it would have to be a very bizarre situation. Yeah good catch. Half my brain wanted to write 'used without permission', the other half wanted to write 'stolen' and so it just came out garbled. I do that sometimes and I didn't really proof-read this rant.

Honestly I probably should avoid the words theft and stolen, not because they don't apply but they're just very loaded words and I was trying to write it more neutrally for clarity.

*shrugs* Ah well, hope the original intent got across alright.

Hmm, I thought the only reward(s) that mod creators get is intangible (other than contributions from those of us that like to show appreciation with donations.) But if there is no profit motive and no copyright law broken, wtf? Btw I'm still looking for an answer to my first question: Does anyone know what the status of Modern Firearms (Gunsmith Edition) is, as far as the availability on the Nexus is concerned?

Hmm, I thought the only reward(s) that mod creators get is intangible (other than contributions from those of us that like to show appreciation with donations.) But if there is no profit motive and no copyright law broken, wtf?

*sighs*

Firstly the factual.

1) Copyright law applies without money.

2) The assets used in this mod were stolen from paid work done for the computer game Sniper Ghost Warrior and the copyright for those assets belongs to City Interactive.

Secondly, if you're not capable of understanding why a person might be upset about their work being stolen without direct financial reward there's little I can do to help you. However you don't need to appreciate that yourself to respect the creative work of others and allow its owners to decide how they feel about it.