Bethesda.net Boycott

Loveblanket

If paud mods are done, Zenimax should charge mod creators a fee for listing the mods for sale. This would cut down on the random mods made in 5 seconds from getting unearned money while professional grade mods start seeing a profit after breaking even. It would be similar in principle to renting land in second life works. Having every random person trying to make a fast dollar with no controls in place would never work.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personal opinion, we should petition Bethesda to take stealing mods seriously. While it may be okay for Bethesda to allow "self-policing" among ourselves, this means nothing if there are no consequences and fair warnings. Bethesda should implement:

1. A warning upon upload that presents the user with an agreement that the work is their own.
2. Banning a user on first offense from Bethesda.net by their XB1/PS4 account.

If they would do the above, pirated mods would evaporate into thin air.

Has anyone come up with any good ideas how to stop all the "stolen mods getting uploaded to Bethesda.net"? I see lots of awesome mods are now hidden or pulled from nexus entirely "until Bethesda fixes it". How do you stop someone from uploading a mod they did not create? Does each CK need to have a serial number that imprints on each mod it creates and if you didn't make the mod your CK serial number won't match?

Maybe you need to scan your drivers license and birth certificate when you upload a mod?

I hope justice gets done and I would be furious if some jerk claimed credit for something I made. I just don't see how it can be prevented.

Has anyone come up with any good ideas how to stop all the "stolen mods getting uploaded to Bethesda.net"? I see lots of awesome mods are now hidden or pulled from nexus entirely "until Bethesda fixes it". How do you stop someone from uploading a mod they did not create? Does each CK need to have a serial number that imprints on each mod it creates and if you didn't make the mod your CK serial number won't match?

Maybe you need to scan your drivers license and birth certificate when you upload a mod?

I hope justice gets done and I would be furious if some jerk claimed credit for something I made. I just don't see how it can be prevented.

Pretty much the only way to do this is to:

A). Register yourself on Bethesda.net, upload your mod there, beat anyone uploading your content without authorization to the punch. Giving you freedom to state where users of your mod can go for support as well as become a part of their userbase where you can provide feedback on all the issues that they are neglecting.

B). Accept that if someone wants to upload your mod to whatever service, they will, even though this is a very rare sort of situation. If someone uploads your content without permission, you can usually ask for it to be removed since you are the original author and did not give permission to have it hosted. This may take some time for someone to get around to it and depends on the legitimacy of the site where your mod is hosted.

C). Add a one-time splash screen or other components to your mod requiring it to be handled through NMM to properly install. It takes a bit more effort but adds more effort towards uploading your work elsewhere and adds a way to mention where the mod can be downloaded officially and where it is supported.

D). Hide your mods, voice open protest on the supposed chance of someone liking your mod enough to want to make it available to people who don't use the Nexus, and sit in the corner waiting for people to start to respect usage permissions. Most of the perceived danger is exaggerated, and generally only applies to popular mods and when these services launch, but that makes too much sense so people decide to panic and search out extreme measures anyway.

Really, it just depends on why exactly you are spending the effort to make mods and why you bothered to share them in the first place. If all you're after is personal gain or glory, really, you're just best off putting your energy into learning how to make your own game, or modding a title which probably doesn't get as much attention. This same issue has popped up dozens of times in the past, between GMOD taking mods and uploading them to their site as "placeholder" content, Curse doing some of the same before losing interest in the Skyrim mod scene, or any number of other mod sites which support a non-English mod community. For the most part, it's up to the admin of the site to investigate and remove unauthorized content, but sometimes they are not always able to do so in the timeframe you want or just don't care.

seeing the special edition is a separate game from the current skyrim build what if we never upgrade to special edition and keep playing on current build that may put stop to some theft specially when newer edition will be incompatible with most of the mods. what about the CK ?? will there be a separate CK for special edition ? if thats the case then simply dont upgrade to newer edition.

or maybe require the mod to use console command to even the start the mod by attaching a quest to it, maybe including some code inside one of the main scripts of the mod etc etc. this time around community have lots of time to workout something. new edition launches on 28 oct.

It's just one of those things that's going to take time to work itself out. In five years hardly anybody will remember this chaos.. (most likely because there will be a new chaos to deal with.)

We have a massive influx of people who may not understand mods and definitely don't understand the community and it's unwritten rules. You can either set out to educate them or let it turn into a lord of the flies situation. (poor piggy.) It's not up to Bethesda how this all turns out. It's up to the community. A boycott's not going to do much.. new modders are born everyday and old modders stop modding. We can create good new modders or evil thieving modders depending on our actions.

Sitting around being angry and trying to find some way to protect games hasn't stopped people from pirating games.. most likely won't stop people from stealing mods either.

I have only published a few mods but do not care who uses them (PC, XBOX, PS4). I do not want Bethesda thinking they have accomplished something by remastering Skyrim. I do not care that they did remaster it, I want TES 6. If console players want to experience Skyrim in an almost PC like manner, have at it. That does not mean I want to wait years for the next installment, while console players catch up.

I am not buying another Bethesda game until TES 6 comes out or they remaster something like Morrowind.

I have only published a few mods but do not care who uses them (PC, XBOX, PS4). I do not want Bethesda thinking they have accomplished something by remastering Skyrim. I do not care that they did remaster it, I want TES 6. If console players want to experience Skyrim in an almost PC like manner, have at it. That does not mean I want to wait years for the next installment, while console players catch up.

I am not buying another Bethesda game until TES 6 comes out or they remaster something like Morrowind.

PC players get a free upgrade to the remastered version if they bought the Legendary Edition of Skyrim or have all the DLC.

Yeah, at face value that doesn't seem like much given how mods can boost the visuals better than the remastered version... But the part of this that PC players will be more interested in is the game being brought up to a 64bit engine, which includes native large address awareness and better performance split between multiple threads, and probably has better optimization. No, it isn't TES:VI, but for most folks, it will be a way for people to dive back into Skyrim, mod the hell out of it, and not have it look like a 5-6 year old game.

TES:VI probably won't happen till 11,11,2017 or 2018. It wasn't going to happen in 2016 since we just got FO4 and it would start to interfere with the sales of FO4 DLCs and Dishonored 2 (first person fantasy genre). 2017 will probably be the year they focus more on advertising and supporting their VR ventures, probably including some internal and mechanical updates to the version of FO4 that people already have.. They might try to push out Prey or dig up an Evil Within sequel for their main release of 2017, so doubt they'll drop a new TES game on everyone's lap. Which puts it closer to 2018. Which makes sense given the 5-6 year development cycle we've seen in past TES and FO releases. In the grander scheme of things, more time to develop a TES game, especially if they're using a new engine, will be a good thing.

As for Skyrim mods appearing on PS4 and XBone... I didn't manage to get a screengrab of the image they used then they showcased this, but pretty much established what their idea of content that would be expected for their service "giant companion, friendly dragons, bandit quest, more spells, ect." Nothing sizable (due to restrictive memory size on consoles), and pretty much the most simple and generic kinds of mods. UI or complicated mods probably wouldn't compatible, even without SKSE just because it would interfere with the way that console controls act or just not work well with that kind of scheme.