Can 'settlements' with no settlers get attacked?

Thicketford

I'm planning on using the Red Rocket as my own personal base. i.e, just me and no settlers. Would it still be subjected to random attacks? I've read that you get attacked if your food+water is higher than your defense. So if I plant some crops and water for myself, am I putting myself at risk of attack?

Also, will I have random settlers try to move in or do they only appear with a beacon?

Edit: After further reading it seems as if crops need to be maintained by settlers, so is it even possible to plant crop if you live by yourself?

Apologies if any of the questions have been answered, but I can't seem to find anything specific.

Edited by Thicketford

I used red rocket as base, I didn't invite settlers willingly but it somehow still got populated by my followers, minuteman, random people that want to join you, provisioners, traders etc. It was under attack constantly and far more then all of my other towns, I put powerful turrets on the roof (heavy laser and rocket launcher) and all of my followers were well armed so invasions were quickly repelled. Also, enemies attack while you're there, weirdly unlike my others settlements.

Interestingly, it was always rust devils, those guys are quite restless.

Planting is a waste of time without settlers assigned to them. They won't produce that way. Water production doesn't need to be tended, so those are fine. Seems to be that any settlement with resources can get attacked. Allegedly, if your defense is higher than water+food it will lessen the chance...but I ain't necessarily convinced. The Random Number God has a lot to say about what happens.

I've been using Red Rocket as the main base without any settlers or crops, and it does get attacked, although there's no "Defend Red Rocket" quest if that's what you mean. It's just random groups of enemies that seem to spawn in the area when I fast travel there. I have a ton of heavy laser and missile turrets on the roof, and a robot patrolling the area.

I have Red Rocket as a base with 6 hand picked female settlers and it still gets attacked but all of the attacks are easily defeated largely due to my automated defences.

What about attacks when the cell containing the settlement isn't active (ie., the player is not in the immediate vicinity) and the results of the attack are calculated statistically? Aren't settlers unkillable by default to solve this conceptual gameplay issue?

Why do you even care if they get attacked. Well, unless you've got something built without having defenses. I have quite a few settlements on idle, working my trade routes towards them to keep them tidy. Not one of those got attacked ever. But I haven't got anything there either.

I have built a big fully enclosed swimming pool at Murkwater Construction and most of the settlers have been moved from other settlements though a few have just turned up. The main difference is that the Mirelurk Queen has never spawned once but it was attacked by Super Mutants once and they were mainly killed by the automated defences. Instead of the Queen I normally get called to "defend the checkpoint".

Without settlers you won't get any "defend the settlement" issues. But it can still get attacked while you are hanging out there. Red rocket has 1 to 2 raiders that can spawn nearby. They are really low level and so a few turrets placed around easily protect your settlement. In survival mode I find these respawn enemies around the settlements the biggest annoyance as they seem to spawn every two or three days. So far, Abernathy and Sunshine are the most annoying as enemies spawn from two different directions and then head to the center to 'battle it out."

Greygarden actually seems to be the safest place in survival.. I've yet to have any random enemies spawn in while I"m there and I've spent weeks there. (in game.)

I've been using Red Rocket as the main base without any settlers or crops, and it does get attacked, although there's no "Defend Red Rocket" quest if that's what you mean. It's just random groups of enemies that seem to spawn in the area when I fast travel there. I have a ton of heavy laser and missile turrets on the roof, and a robot patrolling the area.

Don't know. In addition to the automated defences , all my settlers are in full combat armour and have very powerful weapons. I never lose a settler even if I don't help. For example at Covenant I have 2 Heavy Laser Turrets outside the main gate and as soon as Raiders spawn they just get cut to pieces. When the BOS fell out with me I regularly attacked Boston Airport to get their gear and as a result my settlers at Nordhagen Beach have Gatling Lasers and Miniguns.