Monitor size compatibility with Skyrim

SavageNights

If I got a larger screen would I have incompatibility issues (such as weird aspect ratios) ?

that's all a function of your operating system

if your hardware is installed properly

it'll be almost transparent to you.

Just select an appropriate resolution and sail on

of course if the game is already installed

you may need to smack it upside the head to select an appropriate new resolution and then sail on

unless you have either a super old video card or a super old operating system you shouldn't have any problems at all. Just be aware that a typical 17" monitor is either 1280x1024 or 1366x768 resolution (depending on the age). A new 23" (or similar size) monitor is going to be either 1600x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, or 1920x1200 --- any one of which represents a large increase in the amount of video card power that you need to play a game. Make sure your system can handle it before planning to game at 1920x1080 etc... It's super nice though, game at 1080p for 1 week and you will never want to go back. ;)

If I got a larger screen would I have incompatibility issues (such as weird aspect ratios) ?

that's all a function of your operating system

if your hardware is installed properly

it'll be almost transparent to you.

Just select an appropriate resolution and sail on

of course if the game is already installed

you may need to smack it upside the head to select an appropriate new resolution and then sail on

unless you have either a super old video card or a super old operating system you shouldn't have any problems at all. Just be aware that a typical 17" monitor is either 1280x1024 or 1366x768 resolution (depending on the age). A new 23" (or similar size) monitor is going to be either 1600x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, or 1920x1200 --- any one of which represents a large increase in the amount of video card power that you need to play a game. Make sure your system can handle it before planning to game at 1920x1080 etc... It's super nice though, game at 1080p for 1 week and you will never want to go back. ;)

I'm pretty confident that it would be able to handle it. Windows 7, Nvidia GTX 280, Quad Core.

Yeah, it is stuck at 1280x1024. 1080p sounds very appealing. What would be a good brand/model? I have a lot of ASUS hardware that has lasted years.

Thanks fr the replies guys.

Edited by SavageNights

If you want a high quality monitor and are willing to pay for one, I couldn't recommend Dell Ultrasharps more. I know, you are thinking, Dell, really? But as a designer I can tell you it is the best looking screen I have used (24"). It even looks better than the display on my Cintiq UX2

Either way you want to look for an IPS display and don't bother with LED, it's just a marketing ploy.

Edited by Fatalmasterpiece

Like TVs you should really go and look at monitors, they may cost a little more in stores but you want to be sure of what you're getting.

Make sure they disconnect it from their main DSUB/DVI connector too. My boyfriend bought his monitor at Office Max and they had like 20 of them connected to a DSUB hub. He asked them to just have his monitor plugged into it because chaining that signal off to so many monitors makes them look not too good.

Dell monitors are surprisingly nice, that's what he has. I have a 24" 1920x1200 Gateway monitor, which is also quite nice. If you have the money, get a 1200 monitor. Nearly all monitors are 1080p, 1200s are quite expensive, I'm lucky I got this one at the price I got it at. It's a beauty though...nothing like having something better than HD ;)

Avoid Acer and Hanns-G monitors. The colours just don't look right on them and the viewing angle on them are quite junk. Good ones are Dell, Samsung, ASUS, and Gateway. Dell and Gateway just buy Samsung's monitors and slap their name on them...wind up being slightly cheaper than getting an actual Samsung.

Edited by Illiad86

Yeah, I have a Hanns-G at the moment. It has been reliable but I am looking for better.

I have heard a lot about Dell monitors on other forums. It is very surprising since I usually avoid them. I'm looking at a Dell Ultrastrap versus an Asus. The Asus has a better response time and cheaper. Hm. I was thinking of spending less than £200.

IPS versus LED is noted.

I'm pretty confident that it would be able to handle it. Windows 7, Nvidia GTX 280, Quad Core.

Yeah, it is stuck at 1280x1024. 1080p sounds very appealing. What would be a good brand/model? I have a lot of ASUS hardware that has lasted years.

I think a GTX 280 might have problems pushing out a 1080 at medium quality. Am I wrong to say this?