ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

How tough should deathclaws be?

ekRapid

They seem about right when you first start out on normal difficulty. T45 and minigun in Concord vs deathclaw. Previous versions had a level cap so you would never get way more powerful than them. The new ones scale but I saw somewhere the meanest ones top out at around lev 90

Because of the (very) poor AI, and poor land design for most animal attacks, the problem in ramping up their difficulty to where one might think they should be is making the game un-fun. Most would agree the game is a scary blast at the beginning when the world in new, and the player is under-powered with an incentive to hide and run away.

Once one has visited most of the map, got much better weapons, and levelled up, the really awful FPS mechanism and bad AI gets in the way of making the game more fun with much tougher enemies.

And, of course, the needs of the role-player aren't the same as the needs of the run-n-gun player. I mean I have the jet pack- and that means aerial safety against any bad guy most of the time- but some role players would want to eschew anything like the tech of a jet pack for a playthru.

I LIKE the idea of scary deathclaws from start to finish, but I'm also practical and don't like the idea of tedious gameplay (thus I can't understand why anyone would choose to play a game as poorly designed as FO4 on 'survival'- tho I CAN understand choosing survival MODS on a game heavily modded for this form of play).

Those that praise FO4 don't understand what a THIRD entry in a billion+ dollar franchise could have been, had the dev funds and dev skills matched the sales prospects. The art assets of FO4 are really quite good, but everything else is way below par- and mods can't fix what is so fundamentally broke in the first place.

My character reached level 124 which means I can comfortably roam the commonwealth without too much worry. However, I still occasionally run into a legendary mythic deathclaw that manages to take me by surprise, corral me into a corner, and make me use several stimpaks to keep from dying.

I've found it a little too easy though to avoid damage by finding an area like a guardrail and to hop back and forth over it, forcing the enemy to change its path to you while you continuously pummel it with rockets. If they could pounce on you from a distance that might make them a little tougher.

I think that's not good for universal game design. Deathclaws will always be killable by many ways in high levels.

Mods from different tastes might change it. I prefer them being raptor than t-rex,

so while any kind of bullets on the organic head are capable to kill that stuff, it will get you fast.

And Stimpak won't help. That's how I modded my game.

most .30 caliber rifles can punch through 1/2 an inch of steel plate from the venerable 30-06 all the way up to 338 Lapua. Pretty much anything should die with a hole in its brainpan. I don't think deathclaws need to be able to take more damage. Maybe just a little more damage output to make them scarier.