Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's a heat issue, I turned up my gpu's fan (Radeon HD 6870) to 80% thinking it may have fixed it for a few minutes,

and sure enough the goddamn complete crash needing a reboot with the monitor saying "no signal" happens for the 50th time. :wallbash:

I touched my gpu afterwards, wasn't even considered warm nonetheless hot.

I'm guessing we're gonna have to wait on Bethesda however long that will take. :whistling:

It's definitely not a heat thing for me either, especially since it only happens when I attempt to view the world map. But I tested anyway earlier and after a few hours of play my GPU (6870) was at 60 and my CPU was 52. I'm almost 100% positive it's bad coding, at least for those like me with the map crash problem. A patch will come one way or another, from Bethesda themselves or from the mod community, hopefully sooner than later.

Can you change the multiplier in your bios i thinks it a problem with the proc getting maxed out and over heating see if you can throttle it back a bit

if your running a coreduo or i3/5/7/ you can use throttlestop

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?227689-ThrottleStop-Performance-Adjustment-Tool-for-Core-2-Core-i-CPUs

Explain to me what that means, exactly, and I'll give it a try, heh.

(Also, here's a Youtube video of me reproducing the BSC in Whiterun:

)

I'm using win7 in the power options i can set my maximum processor state, this is essentially stopping my processor running at 100% load, i'm not sure if this available on a desktop or not i don't

own one, in the bios there might be an option for this it's probably called ACPI processor power management, if you don't have that you can set you multiplier value e.g. i you clockspeed is determined by the FSB*mutiplier , if you processor is 2200Mhz or 2.2GHz then your FSB runs at 200MHz * 11 = 2.2GHz if say you change your multiplier to 9 then thats 200MHz *9 =1800MHz or 1.8GHz effectively throtteling your cpu so it can't run at maxium, throttlestop will let you do this through the OS but to be honest if you don't know what your doing then maybe let someone else try it first and we can get a guide going or i'll help you out doing it.

Can you change the multiplier in your bios i thinks it a problem with the proc getting maxed out and over heating see if you can throttle it back a bit

if your running a coreduo or i3/5/7/ you can use throttlestop

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?227689-ThrottleStop-Performance-Adjustment-Tool-for-Core-2-Core-i-CPUs

Explain to me what that means, exactly, and I'll give it a try, heh.

(Also, here's a Youtube video of me reproducing the BSC in Whiterun:

)

I'm using win7 in the power options i can set my maximum processor state, this is essentially stopping my processor running at 100% load, i'm not sure if this available on a desktop or not i don't

own one, in the bios there might be an option for this it's probably called ACPI processor power management, if you don't have that you can set you multiplier value e.g. i you clockspeed is determined by the FSB*mutiplier , if you processor is 2200Mhz or 2.2GHz then your FSB runs at 200MHz * 11 = 2.2GHz if say you change your multiplier to 9 then thats 200MHz *9 =1800MHz or 1.8GHz effectively throtteling your cpu so it can't run at maxium, throttlestop will let you do this through the OS but to be honest if you don't know what your doing then maybe let someone else try it first and we can get a guide going or i'll help you out doing it.

Watched the video same error i was having here's a guide to using throttle stop

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.html

to see if you have the power options click on the start button and in the search field type "power options" if's its there you should see it

here's some info on what Processor power management in vista win7 and win server 08

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg566941

Edited by seanie

My problem is that only 1 of my saved games, of course it had to be the one I enjoyed the most, always crashes when I try to load it. I don't have any mods or anything like that so I have no idea why it's doing this. Anyone know?

no if you have that option available in windows try that, it worked for me and a few other people, if you have to use throttlestop then use it. if it works for you then we may have a fix on our hands :dance:

I used throttlestop instead of Windows. I took the multiplier down from 34 to 26, so I was operating at 2.2GHz instead of my usual 3.3GHz. Not only did I crash, but I crashed at the exact same spot in Whiterun as shown in the video I posted.

Any chance I can get a step-by-step to make sure I'm doing this right?

EDIT: I also just tried using WIndows instead, setting min 20% and max70%. ...CRASH

Edited by DanRocco

I used throttlestop instead of Windows. I took the multiplier down from 34 to 26, so I was operating at 2.2GHz instead of my usual 3.3GHz. Not only did I crash, but I crashed at the exact same spot in Whiterun as shown in the video I posted.

Any chance I can get a step-by-step to make sure I'm doing this right?

I'm actually going to bed now man up for working in the morning, i would say don't go to the same spot, it might be a different bug, head of in another direction, and see if it crashes,

if you can change the maximum processor settings in windows i would try that instead of throttle stop for the time being i'll check back tomorrow morning in work and i'll see about

geting a step by step sorted out.