Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 days no crash since (including a 12 our straight run)

i turned off the Catalyst A.I

set all CCC settings to application

using the default med settings on the launcher setup (use the detected settings)

unlocked the game to use more than 2gb of ram (making sure to back-up the launcher)

my problem i think stemmed from the catalyst a.i and the ram unlock so maybe the game is trying to page too much to too little RAM? :teehee:

flames removed;point made

Monsterminty, could you please tell me how exactly to do all these things? Somewhat of a noob to fiddling with this stuff and perhaps a bit too lazy to look for it. How to the more than 2gb ram thing especially and the catalyst AI, CCC thing.

Edited by Zolexus

Hey Everyone i just registered, to say i'm experiencing the same issue,

I have a HP EliteBook 8740w

Core i7 940 extreme

4 GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro 2800FX

and running Win7 Ultimate 64bit, I can play the game for around 30 mins but then it causes my system to completely reboot

and i have to remove the battery to start up again, to be honest it looks like the laptop is over heating and shutting itself off

my laptop does that some times if i'm running a game and i leave it sitting down somewhere with poor ventilation, although

i made sure it has good ventilation when playing, this game seems to have a serious issue it's essentially broke and unplayable

i can't believe this got past QA i mean really how was this not even spotted by game reviewers, although its good to know i'm not the

only one, although bethesda doesn't even seem to want to acknowledge this problem telling everyone to relax there's a patch coming

soon, the game wasn't ready and this whole thread is a testament to that, in all my years of PC gaming this is the worst experience

i've had as there doesn't seem to be a real fix its broke, it's a shame too as what i've played it looks pretty cool BOOO!!!

Hey everyone, i think i may of found a fix (for me anyway) as stated above it seemed to me like my cpu was overheating and turning off

so i went to control panel------> power options and power plan/create a power plan i under change advanced power settings

under the processor power management i set the maxium processor power state to 70%, so that the Proc doesn't go over that

i've been playing for the last 2 hours with all settings set to maxium with no problem, when previously i could only play for 30 mins or so

as stated in my first post i'm on a laptop so not sure if these options are available on a desktop but worth a try, i'm going to go back playing

now and i'll let you know if it crashes again, but for the time being everything seems stable.

I am having the exact same crash with a different game. I contacted that game's support and they said they are very well aware of the issue and are working with ATI/AMD to fix it. Both games were released in the same week so I'm positive this is the exact same issue with Skyrim. So the common factor (and Im not saying its their fault) is ATI cards, so there should be a fix from either AMD or the games in question but if you are having this problem with Nvidia then you are probably having a separate issue.

So fingers crossed.. waiting.. tapping on the desk.

Im glad I got a good response from the other game publisher because I was about to get a refund on Skyrim and just get a pirated copy, because honestly Bathesda completely lost me with this issue. And here we are on this site, the reason why their games last 3-4 years longer than they would have.

Actually, I had the same problem long time ago with Batman Arkham Asylum. And I don't remember if the issue was resolved because I gave up on it

Same problem just happened to me while I played Saint Raw 3, which has been just released. PC crashed to black screen etc.

Anyone has expirienced same issue with that (or any other besides Skyrim) game?

Is this getting worse? From one game issue going to system issue caused by curved arms of Skyrim devs.

I've played a few days without crashing now, but crash isn't predictable and I could have just been lucky. I was getting it within a couple minutes to a couple hours before and there was no rhyme or reason to when it would happen. I noticed that I had a couple of windows updates that didn't update automatically so I installed those, set the catalyst AI to off, turned off AA on the game settings and turned on FXAA. Also forced the video card fan settings to 40% but the card was definitely not overheating. It was peaking at 68C before and stays around 60C now. I've got no clue if this fixed or helped in any way because again, we don't even know what the hell the problem is yet.

I think i know whats causing the crashes, its that Radiant story ai trying to prove a point that your comp is inferior and decides to crash it.:teehee: Edited by Thor.

Same problem just happened to me while I played Saint Raw 3, which has been just released. PC crashed to black screen etc.

Is this getting worse? From one game issue going to system issue caused by curved arms of Skyrim devs.

Yep, saints row for me too, and a myriad of other games reported by other people. Looks like it may be all games that were Console developed and posted to PC so far. BF3 works perfect for me at highest settings which is what makes me so mad about this issue because it could have obviously been fixed before release if they had tested it.

Yep, saints row for me too, and a myriad of other games reported by other people. Looks like it may be all games that were Console developed and posted to PC so far. BF3 works perfect for me at highest settings which is what makes me so mad about this issue because it could have obviously been fixed before release if they had tested it.

Well let's just hope it's really console ports issue and not a permanent damage to our systems by one of them...

I have a feeling its just script failures to time to time, sometimes it crashes on me when it someone starts talking or at a certain point in a quest. I could be a simple as that. i dont get complete crashes, it just exits out once in awhile. Nothing serious. Edited by Thor.