Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

And yet I know at least 2 people with the exact same hardware setup as me who are running the game with no problems. One is a digital download, the other a retail copy. It's almost like the problem is an incompatibility with our brainwaves or something. Someone should try underclocking their frontal cortex and trying again.

Do they also use the same game settings as you do? Or did they edit the Skyrim.ini or SkyrimPrefs.ini in any way? Are both patched with the day 1 patch?

All three of us are using high settings (of course, by now I've tried dozens of arrangements), and none of us have edited the .ini files.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, looking at this, I have a theory. It seems the game is somehow overloading the memory on our video cards with faulty data. When said data is repeatedly accessed, it causes something of a memory corruption, forcing our video cards to try and fix the problem by re-loading the data from the game. As it repeatedly tries to load and reload the data it overworks itself and shuts off.

I am not saying that this is correct, but it is a somewhat viable theory imho. I have heard of games that cause a video card to try and load faulty graphical data and it essentially shuts down to prevent catastrophic failure.

Brotha1 After the first few times why did you continue trying if you are going to add nothing of worth to the discussion, did you try anything different each time? did you notice when/where it happened? or are you just ranting?

"who is going to pay me for that time?" no one, none of us expects payment for this and why should we, its out personal choice to try and troubleshoot this.

"I am so pissed off to have to force shut down my massive computer with 5 hard-disks running and tons of equipment.

is Bethesda going to buy me new drives if they break due having my pc reboot itself? are you bethesda?" Did they MAKE you keep doing it after the first time, or did YOU choose to try again?

Dude, grow up.

dude; kid, yes i am just ranting if i pay 60 bux for something i expect it to atleast somewhat work.

ive tried everything suggested on every forum, here on tomshardware, on bethesda forums and nothing has made a difference. ive run the game on lowest settings and on highest settings and the outcome is exactly the same. ive reinstalled my video card drivers, ive updated windows, ive reinstalled direct x, ive reinstalled motherboard drivers, did memory test, hard disk test, reinstalled steam, tried every possible tweak in ccc, tried the sound fix, usb, all settings, closing everything opening anything, effects manged by video card / game. all with the same exact results.

putting in that much effort to make a product i paid for work = i get a free product for my grievances and waste of time. since now i am a beta tester that supposedly paid to test a game without being told about it.

considering i bought the game and trying to fix the issue, my computer did need to reboot to see if it fixed it, since i had to try all the methods. or i could have it reboot once and sit there for a week wondering if it got fixed...but considering i paid for this product, it should be working.

Edited by brotha1

Keep the thread clean of flames please.

Also, I understand Brotha's sentiment. It is very frustrating that we have heard no word from Bethesda yet whether or not they even acknowledge the problem at hand and are working on it. That would at least make the wait a bit more bearable.

Also, new engine or not, it is unacceptable that a game makes a video card crash, let alone dangerous to the equipment. Being angry about this is normal.

In any case, being angry and frustrated about it won't help it it seems. If I still haven't heard of Bethesda in a week that they're actively working on a patch of sorts, I'll call em up and ask at least some form of update.

Patience for now is a virtue!

Edited by Zolexus

I had exactly the same problem, I'm running Win7 64 with HD6870 and I had everything cranked up to Ultra. Game ran fine but kept crashing, wound back the draw distance, dropped Ansio to 8x and switched to FXAA (which I think looks better as it blurs out all the terrible textures). Running pretty stable now.

Also try taking a few carriage trips around to some geographically distinct locations i.e. Markath to Whiterun I think that may bring it on as it loads a whole bunch of new textures up?

So yeah basically looks like a definite software issue with video resources - my system can play Shogun2 all day long without blinking so I'm confident my hardware has nothing to do with it.

Have you considered the fact that this is Bethesda's brand new engine? There are usually problems when making something on a brand new engine and it takes time to sort out all the problems, since the engine itself cannot have possibly been tested on all hardware variants. The game runs smoothly, works on a wide enough range on PCs and has beautiful graphics, that fact alone is astounding. One flaw, an almost anavoidable but understandably large one, isn't enough to detract from the fact they worked hard to bring us the game we wanted Oblivion to be. They took hints from the modding community, listened to the fans, playing and running the game nonstop to find the problems and are currently working on a patch, first for XBox, since it has most of the problems, and then PS3 and PC will be next. Just have patience.

Of course, that's not to mention the problem seems to be random and the people here just seem to be suffering from a stroke of bad luck.

Ok, I'm with others in that almost 100% of ppl here are suffering from a TOTAL SYSTEM CRASH, and this should not happen on a game that has be officially released. They really should have checked it out on a multitude of setups first, or if they did, should have really stress tested it on said setups. Also, how is a total system crash bug "almost unavoidable"? Seems like that should be a major red flag.

I'd also say that they more or less ripped off the modding community with some things. Finishing moves are (from what I've seen) pretty close to Deadly Reflexes for Obliv, HUD looks nearly identical to another mod I've seen. And one mod (which was never finished, but the idea seems blatantly ripped off of) had you being able to absorb souls from high-level enemies to use more powerful versions of spells. I can't remember the names of the HUD mod or the Souls = More powerful spells mod (that one kind of died when the creator figured out he was in over his head with bugs), but Deadly Reflexes by (I think the modder's name was) Skycaptain or something similar, seems to be pretty close to blatantly ripped off and added to Skyrim.

Also, I've only heard about a few minor issues and some major texture bugs with Xbox version. PS3 (I have heard rumors that it can corrupt your hard drive) and PC (confirmed it can force your computer to shut down) seem to be the more serious issues. The reason that the Xbox is getting special treatment is that Microsoft has a contract or something that Xbox get patches/DLC/Official stuff first.

HOWEVER! They report that they are in fact working on a patch.

Link to PC Gamer article