Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Friends, downgrade your ati radeon driver to 11.9! I told on this forum before, it half-fixes the problem. I am playing the game crash-free since I downgraded. Only once it crashed, I installed the 11.9 driver again and now it works without crashes. I do not know what causes that but worth trying until patch comes out.

i tried 11.8 / 11.9 / 11.10 / 11.10_3 none of them worked and i hear 11.11 is not better either

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After replacing the tesv.exe by deleting it and verifying it, it seems that wasn't the case.

I had to always run steam in admin mode and skyrim in admin mode too.

So that fixes stuck at a looping launcher, but I still get shitty f***ing crashes that make the need for a whole system hard reset.

Not really a surprise since all they did was change the .exe I'm not gonna get my hopes up for this so called patch coming.

Waited this long while they just cater to the console s*** for brains that still get to play the game anyway. :whistling:

Anyone think it's the PSU shutting down under heavy load of current the cpu, the gpu,and the game generates and it "trips"?

When I got my computer I was told the psu is not the greatest brand.

One HD Radeon 6870

AMD X4 Phenom 965 @ 3.4 GHz

12 Gigs of DDR3 RAM

And the psu is an xtreme gear 700w power supply.

I say this because I've experienced this with other games like gta iv randomly yet episodes from liberty city never crashed. and Fallout 3 and New Vegas did the same when I entered VATS.

Edited by Gardev

I've been getting fewer crashes now through no input of my own. It seems to be mostly when entering or exiting the map, or checking the quest log, when the black screen occurs, but it's also happened at random in many other places.

Totally a stab in the dark, but I'm wondering if it may be the game's UI system that's triggering these crashes. I think of this because:

I'm not even sure if Skyrim actually runs its own Flash player under the hood at runtime, or whether the Gamebryo Creation engine just interprets .swf files the way it needs to without any actual Adobe Flash binaries, but anyway - just my hypothesis.

i think you're on to something here. i usually crash right after i open up my map outside, or just after i close a menu and start to move. quite annoying to say the least but i've definitely noticed a correlation to the ui and my crashes

stumbled into this thread yesterday and have read through some of it. it's great to know that i'm not the only one with this issue.

system specs:

AMD 955 @ 3.2GHz

Gigabyte HD6850 @ 800MHz Core & 1100MHz Memory

Asus M4A79XTD-EVO Board

4GB Kingston HyperX Blu / G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600MHz (the ripjaws were already on the way out, so i replaced them yesterday to see if it changed anything. still get the crashes with brand spanking new ram)

Win7 x64

i have a save that is ~80 hours in. i've explored a lot and only ever had it crash when certain things like water were being displayed - whether it was inside/cave/dungeon/skyrim. the crashes were incredibly rare, but i knew to quicksave often. after a while, their frequency increased. i put it down to being in areas with more water. now, i can't even start a new game without a full system crash. sometimes it crashes while i'm still in the cart, other times i get as far as character creation. either way, this is really beginning to bug me and for what was an amazing experience in my first TES game, current events have soured it.

i really enjoyed this game. i had few issues with various things and found many hilarious bugs (especially with object flying around a room at the speed of light due to something as simple as opening a cupboard), but overall i have enjoyed this game.

from modified ini files to clean installs to lower settings and disabled functions - it just keeps crashing.

hopefully something will get noticed and this will get fixed, but right now i'm not going to hold my breath.

Will this driver work on the HD 6870?

It will. But be aware that it might not help at all.

Yeah works but Skyrim still crashes for me..

Ah, too bad. I guess I was lucky it worked for me, then.

Too bad for me too, apparently the patch didn't work for me, back again to crappy graphics set to low to play this game..