On console mods, theft and Bethesda.net

Dark0ne

In response to post #39487080.

EnaiSiaion wrote: You seem to think thieves are not punished because Bethesda doesn't know what they are doing.

I believe Bethesda knows very well what they are doing. They know that console mods will increase sales by XYZ%. The hardship to mod creators is an externality and they didn't give any thought to accomodating them.

The players don't give a damn if a mod is stolen. The players see a mod and download it. This benefits Bethesda. So why would Bethesda give two shits that the author didn't want the mod there?

See also: requiring a DMCA takedown notice to discourage authors from filing complaints.

It's almost as if a corporation's sole concern is that of making money.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't mind Bethesda.net, seems fine for a console interface. It's unfortunate that the backend is rough for authors but that'll get better I'm sure.

After trying it out on PC the only real problem I have with it is having to leave the game running to actually download anything but I mean, that's clearly just because it works the exact same way as it's console counterpart and is therefore not going to be for most PC users, and that's fine.

As an author, I've not really been a part of any of this since modding for Fallout holds zero appeal out of "There's till no smoking mod? Man I'll just make my own, oh someone made one now? Well I made my own anyway so whatever I guess."

I'm pretty excited to start throwing stuff to the console community once Skyrim gets released though, especially since some of my colleagues and friends don't game on PC and always got excited when I showed them videos of crap I was working on.

With any luck we'll get a CK update too and won't have an unstable hot mess of a tool to use, Fallout's is such a better experience than Skyrim's that the idea of going back to that same crash-fest bums me out.

Anyway, happy modding or mod using or whatever, everyone stop being a jerk and email your local Bethesda representative or whatever, here's to maybe another 2000 hours of Creation Kit-ing later this year, hope to see you there!

PEACE!

In response to post #39487080. #39487315 is also a reply to the same post.

EnaiSiaion wrote: You seem to think thieves are not punished because Bethesda doesn't know what they are doing.

I believe Bethesda knows very well what they are doing. They know that console mods will increase sales by XYZ%. The hardship to mod creators is an externality and they didn't give any thought to accomodating them.

The players don't give a damn if a mod is stolen. The players see a mod and download it. This benefits Bethesda. So why would Bethesda give two shits that the author didn't want the mod there?

See also: requiring a DMCA takedown notice to discourage authors from filing complaints.
Khaoz7 wrote: It's almost as if a corporation's sole concern is that of making money.

simply put, bethesda should care, because the pc mod community (and media) has the power to take them to task in the media. bad pr hurts a company and hurt sales.

goodwill is more profitable than what you're suggesting bethesda has the right to do (suicide).

This whole war on console mods and bethesda.net is so dumb. If you have an issue with console mods I agree you need to grow up. If you are worried your mod maybe stolen well guess what. Copyright is only implemented along you as the author take action. If you upload a mod here on Nexus and even if Bethesda.Net doesn't exist someone can still steal it and upload it to Steam Workshop or Mod DB or some other website. You need to take legal action as a mod author if you want to protect your files. You can expect someone to search the entire web to make sure your mods are not stolen. That is up to the mod authors. And there are bigger issues in this world than Bethesda.net and stolen mods.

some how i feel Bethesdas inaction with stolen mods is just a way to get back at the modding community for uploading far harbor but at the same time i know thats dumb and not true. All they care about when you truly look at it is $money$ same with all businesses. If you think a company actually cares about its people then you smoking some good s#*! and i would like some... no for reals i would like some pls, im all out of mine.

The whole mod theft stuff is nothing new and if you really look no matter what it is such as: car racing, painting, gun ownership, hell even working out at the gym (steroids) there will always be bad apples who just dont give a s#*! and will ruin it for the community. As a mod maker you kind of need to just expect that at some point it will happen. ive made 2 yup only 2 mods and as small as they are yes even they have been uploaded to other sites. is it wrong? yes. do i feel wronged? yeah kind of. will bitching and throwing a fit help? no but it is kinda fun :) what im trying to say is Bethesda is dropping the ball here but thats just beths MO with everything and we all knew it and with all of beths fixes its going to take a looooong time. The best thing we can do is try not to fan the flames of pc vs console because lets face it some of us pc's did not come in peace, throwing insults around and that just spurs them on to steal just to spite us.

What really bugs me is the fact that beth charges money for dlc such as their workshop dlc, yes it is their assets and blah-blah-legal-stuff but its basically like the dlc team just said "hey why do any work? lets just let the modding community come up with cool stuff then repackage it as ours and make easy money." for reals though look at whats coming out in the next one....

Edited by 2034

In response to post #39485330.

MrJoseCuervo wrote: I urge modders to keep their console brothers in mind when they make mods. Make sure your mods are in good working order and safe for them to use. We don't want any consoles getting damaged due to poor modding.

How can a PC modder EVER make a mod safe for console gaming? There are no tools for a console game as said in an earlier post. Consoles are a new world that only Bethesda may know enough about to mod for them. I would think that consoles would be at great risk and will blame these modders for problems caused by pirated mods. Edited by alanlwilcox

In response to post #39470550. #39471095, #39485805 are all replies on the same post.

Everlive wrote: Literally, my only problem with mods on console (other than the theft going on) is a user problem. If a mod breaks or breaks your game, you can't just go into the files and try to fix it. That could make console modding a nightmare. Plus not being able to use third-party software is a huge limit (SKSE, Script Dragon, FNIS, ASIS, ect).
BUT, I am happy people can finally mod on console to a degree.
matortheeternal wrote: This isn't "my only problem", but I agree 100% on this being a huge issue. For me (and many others), modding is a lot more than just downloading mods. You manage load order, install order, patchers, and extenders, and it's only when you have the power to manage these things that high-level modding becomes maintainable. Consoles don't (and won't) ever allow this, because then they would be no longer be consoles, they'd be PCs.

No matter what, console modding is going to be a "dumb" version of PC modding. Honestly, modding + consoles is like mixing oil and water. It doesn't (really) make sense.

Things you can't do with console modding:
- SKSE
- SkyUI
- MCMs
- Engine-level bug fixes (See Crash Fixes and Lip Sync Bugfix mods from meh)
- Cleaning plugin files
- Automated patchers
- Automated load order sorting
- Merging plugins
- Extracting BSAs/BA2s
- Managing install order
- FOMOD Installers
- Any kind of modularity
- Building mods
- Editing mods
- Debugging CTDs
- Debugging load order
- Use the developer console to test things
- Use FNIS or other custom frameworks
- etc. ...

My point isn't that console modding shouldn't exist, but that we shouldn't break our backs trying to make it work.
Arthmoor wrote: Minor point: Cleaning mods isn't something users should be doing even on PC. That's entirely within the realm of the mod author to handle. So consoles not being able to isn't a valid point IMO.

Neither should users be extracting BSA/BA2 archives for stuff. So the inability to do so on a console is also an invalid point IMO.

The biggest (and so far unanswered) question about Console modding is how are they able to handle asset duplication between similar mods? Three quarters of the reason I use NMM in the first place is because it lets me intelligently choose which files in a file conflict actually make their way into my data directory.

I realize that there's limits on the texture and mesh mods that they get to use, but even simple mod decisions like installing the UF4P will involve installing meshes and textures, if they load another mod after the UF4P that uses the same mesh, it could very well break UF4P and nobody'd be the wiser.