On console mods, theft and Bethesda.net

Dark0ne

And therein lies the issue. Bethesda notice their own content being stolen almost instantly (even at weekends) and will go to great steps to protect their work, but when it comes to creating a proper system to protect their own user’s interests, or indeed on actioning stolen content reports, they go missing for days or even weeks at a time. Seems a little...wrong, right?

This is perfectly executed comment and expresses my thoughts on this whole situation.

Dark0ne I don't know how you do this, but you really show how powerful a modding community can get. My hat's off to you.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice speech. Totally agree, the best part is when you said "Mod are made yourself first not for others". I can tell you even now Bethesda doesn't care about modding. It does only in the direction of buying time to make new games. In the end the great gain for Beth is the added longevity given to (lets be onest) on half maded games. after 5 years of work of community modders you can say NOW Skyrim is a game with no bugs. That's pretty much a nice customer service economy. I would always accept a gift from beth with my face in Fry Meme (not sure if). About the scripted block for console, can be added to the default scripts in TesEdit to be added to .esp file maybe?

Complaining that a 'community' is run better than a 'business' is apples complaining about oranges being juiced. Nexus works fast because it is a community. Bethesda and all its uppers are a business. The takedown process they implemented is exactly as it will be and is.

Are we talking about the same people who complain about their YouTube video being removed without that process are now complaining about that process being required . . ..

Edited by ETSubmariner

Thanks for what you do guys, modders and nexus staff alike. I think we can all agree that through this whole process we need to remain level headed. All the while hoping that Bethesda streamlines a theft reporting mechanism of some nature. Would modders be able to create a method of cross checking files and flagging them for users who accidentally download the file, OR is there a way to mod in a weapon with a "watermark" necessary for the file to work? It could even be something applied on the nexus, like a checkbox that activates the file ONLY when downloaded through the nexus if creators want it to be nexus exclusive?

I know little about modding and this is only a suggestion, I hope it can help.

All you've said about mods on console are fine, but what the majority of the community doesn't know is about game development and its relationship with the platform. Right now you can use many mods, yes you can, at a price though i haven't played any Beth games in console i know their limitations towards processing information. If, and i say IF, Skyrim Remastered comes as a bad port, and based on how many weird s#*! the community had to fix cuz of how they code their s#*! (it's a long historic of s#*!) using as many mods as i do in console, without any graphic injector, may be a f*#@ing huge headache.

You can't make a game that forces the platform over its limits, in 99% of time when a company makes a game it was optmized to run on a specific platform close to its limit and what does it mean? It means that if you don't pay attention and add more and more stuff to the game to be processed it will screw up with the game, processing bugs will happen and it might not even work anymore in the worst case scenario.

I've got it mainly cuz my machine can't even be compared to a low-end PC in terms of graphics, but not for heavy scripting processing. I had to accept the fact that the visuals would need to be as low as possible without going full potato and on the other hand it could get the most outstanding gameplay aspects that i could archieve without Warzones cuz Warzones still unstable for me and i'd need to choose between Warzones and like 50% of the rest of the heavy scripting mods stuff.

What do you think that happens if i use Warzones in my PC? The game closes. If i keep insisting it restart my PC.

What happens with ENB? Unplayable, FPS drops like f*#@ to the point where all i can do is to get gorgerous screenshots and that's it. Game doesn't shut down by itself.

https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/fallout4/mod-detail/1787651

The above is an example of Bethesda's fantastic moderation. Assets stolen from Blizzard Ent., which I reported four days ago. Blizz could absolutely bend them over for it, and it would never have stood for anywhere near this long here on the Nexus.

Although I'm only a very infrequent and basic mod author, I'm actually glad I've not released anything for Fallout 4 up to this point, because this whole debacle has left such a sour taste in my mouth. You can't even help them - I made a thread about the above mod as well as reporting it, and it's still up.