On console mods, theft and Bethesda.net

Dark0ne

In response to post #39638525.

paynexkiller wrote: A guy posted a Mod that has MY tattoo in it. I reported it, and nothing happened. No modderator got in contact with me. I posted that he stole content from my DeviantArt page, and yet nothing happened. So, yeah. f*#@ing hypocrite much?

There are no reports from you in our database, so it may not have gotten through at all.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #39633605. #39633845, #39634135 are all replies on the same post.

vortexhlp wrote: Paid mods = potential for great talent to make great mods DLC-level type of mods. I believe that something as big as Dawnguard or Dragonborn can be made by fans but those willing to go through and treat it like a business (which is absolutely fine) can potentially make a living expanding games for tens of hours to hundred of hours. Look at Skywind for instance, it could take maybe a year to develop or less and the staff could be paid with sales of $10 for the mod. I don't know about you but $10 sounds like a steal to get a quality DLC that is essentially a whole new game.

I don't think it's as bad as what some people make it seem, I think it's just the nexus being worried that mods will be taken away to beth's website where people can monetize their projects there instead of here. Remember, nexus makes a profit from your hard work and if beth takes it away, of course they'll get their panties in a ruffle.
dobmc wrote: Bethesda = Fine Brothers

:^)
MajorFreak wrote: i dunno if it's a profit. i'll bet if you look it's a very small key group of individuals that can barely pay the expenses of a high traffic site like this, and probably have to shell out they own hard earned cash to support their hobby (which is helping folks like us play a modded game)

If you read the article itself you'll see that the problem WAS and IS as bad as it seems (if you mean the "someone stealing a free mod from nexus, posting it on the official site, and getting the original banned by claiming the stealer was the author".)

Paid Mods = Destruction of the Modding scene.

I have 200+ Mods installed. Very few people are going to pay for that many mods. That mean people will make free versions of paid mods and who is going to want to mod just to give Bethesda 70% of the profits like they tried to do last time?

Why not just leave us the F alone? Why is that not an option?

In response to post #39640030.

AFTshock wrote: As a newcomer watching this unfold is just depressing. I want to yell at the elitists blaming every single console player for the actions of a few assholes and I want to yell at the entitled assholes who thing stealing is OK as long as you give credit after the fact or spam modders with requests like they can just click their fingers and a mod is suddenly made, although to be fair some people don't know how long it takes to model, UV map, script and so on.
I say Bethesda removes console mods until they sort everything out.

I think removing console modding would definitely fall under the "knee-jerk" category. While the current system is full of holes that are allowing these issues to go unchecked, there are sure to be modders out there who genuinely care about modding for the console platforms. Taking that away from them is only going to stir the proverbial s#*! pot that has been brewing. I may not like consoles as a platform, but I can respect anyone who wants to make console mods in order to improve their preferred platform. I would never try to take that away from them. I see - within the boundaries of the author's permissions - a mod as a gift to all the players. If you take the means of modding away from authors, then everyone under those authors' umbrellas of support will also suffer.

In response to post #39487555. #39488845 is also a reply to the same post.

LegoManIAm94 wrote: This whole war on console mods and bethesda.net is so dumb. If you have an issue with console mods I agree you need to grow up. If you are worried your mod maybe stolen well guess what. Copyright is only implemented along you as the author take action. If you upload a mod here on Nexus and even if Bethesda.Net doesn't exist someone can still steal it and upload it to Steam Workshop or Mod DB or some other website. You need to take legal action as a mod author if you want to protect your files. You can expect someone to search the entire web to make sure your mods are not stolen. That is up to the mod authors. And there are bigger issues in this world than Bethesda.net and stolen mods.
AveragePhotoshopSkills wrote: I checked your upload history, sorted by filesize and its unsurprisingly you make tiny mods not worthy of theft, if you did a complete overhaul of something 100mb+ you wouldn't be saying

"And there are bigger issues in this world than Bethesda.net and stolen mods. "

Also: "Play Call Of Duty the Xbox 360 way but with your PC." is one of your mods, keep console shilling.

"If you are worried your mod maybe stolen well guess what. Copyright is only implemented along you as the author take action"
Read the article instead of replying to the subject line. The article clearly states that forcing ONLY the author with the sole means of reporting a theft leaves said mod author with no time to update his mods or create new ones but simply to roam ceaselessly looking for thieves of his mods alone.

The whole point was that 14 years of modding wisdom gives one perspective on the best policy.

Unfortunately, i don't think the goat rodeo that is Bethesda will bother based on a good comment i found:
"I know it seems truly important to everyone in the modding community but the note on which you finish - the certainty that Bethesda will eventually get their s*** in order - I contrarily do not see that occurring even eventually. I'm sure there are people that work there that see the problem and want to correct it dearly. But I can almost guarantee that they do not have that same mentality your team does. They will not hire a team of moderators. The tedious DMCAs will probably be par for the course as this goes along rather than self policing. Plus as you yourself noted, rightly so, they still need to make the site worthwhile." ~ khmp
"Nice speech. Totally agree, the best part is when you said "Mod are made yourself first not for others". I can tell you even now Bethesda doesn't care about modding. It does only in the direction of buying time to make new games. In the end the great gain for Beth is the added longevity given to (lets be onest) on half maded games. after 5 years of work of community modders you can say NOW Skyrim is a game with no bugs. That's pretty much a nice customer service economy. " ~Alaebasta

In response to post #39633605. #39633845, #39634135, #39640900 are all replies on the same post.

vortexhlp wrote: Paid mods = potential for great talent to make great mods DLC-level type of mods. I believe that something as big as Dawnguard or Dragonborn can be made by fans but those willing to go through and treat it like a business (which is absolutely fine) can potentially make a living expanding games for tens of hours to hundred of hours. Look at Skywind for instance, it could take maybe a year to develop or less and the staff could be paid with sales of $10 for the mod. I don't know about you but $10 sounds like a steal to get a quality DLC that is essentially a whole new game.

I don't think it's as bad as what some people make it seem, I think it's just the nexus being worried that mods will be taken away to beth's website where people can monetize their projects there instead of here. Remember, nexus makes a profit from your hard work and if beth takes it away, of course they'll get their panties in a ruffle.

MajorFreak wrote: i dunno if it's a profit. i'll bet if you look it's a very small key group of individuals that can barely pay the expenses of a high traffic site like this, and probably have to shell out they own hard earned cash to support their hobby (which is helping folks like us play a modded game)

If you read the article itself you'll see that the problem WAS and IS as bad as it seems (if you mean the "someone stealing a free mod from nexus, posting it on the official site, and getting the original banned by claiming the stealer was the author".)
MrJoseCuervo wrote: Paid Mods = Destruction of the Modding scene.

I have 200+ Mods installed. Very few people are going to pay for that many mods. That mean people will make free versions of paid mods and who is going to want to mod just to give Bethesda 70% of the profits like they tried to do last time?

Of course not every mod will be paid. Likely it will be involved in systems like incentive, performance-base, rating and so on that will bring fuss among modders and modders between users which will generate more traffic and that's good for the publisher. It doesn't only work into bad side, but big KABOOM is inevitable.

In response to post #39633605. #39633845, #39634135, #39640900, #39642140 are all replies on the same post.

midtek wrote: Of course not every mod will be paid. Likely it will be involved in systems like incentive, performance-base, rating and so on that will bring fuss among modders and modders between users which will generate more traffic and that's good for the publisher. It doesn't only work into bad side, but big KABOOM is inevitable.

In response to post #39633605. #39633845, #39634135, #39640900, #39642140, #39642520 are all replies on the same post.

midtek wrote: Of course not every mod will be paid. Likely it will be involved in systems like incentive, performance-base, rating and so on that will bring fuss among modders and modders between users which will generate more traffic and that's good for the publisher. It doesn't only work into bad side, but big KABOOM is inevitable.
MrJoseCuervo wrote: Why not just leave us the F alone? Why is that not an option?

Well, I guess, because they are paid for the job? But all is just a speculation until what comes.

In response to post #39498625. #39499265, #39499445, #39500430, #39500805, #39501145, #39503195, #39504680, #39505155, #39507590, #39511050 are all replies on the same post.

CaladanAnduril wrote: Fallout 3
Release Date - October 28, 2008
Geck (v 1.1) - December 11, 2008

December 2009 - Already four major quests mods
Cube Experimental
A Note Easily Mist
An Evening with Mister Manchester
A Quest for Heaven 1

==============================
Fallout 4
Release date - November 10, 2015
Creation Kit (Beta !!!) - April 26, 2016

Great quest mods ( so far)... none

That's say pretty much all about Beth.
In the light of the last events, don't expect to see the "heavy" modders and modding team showing up... they wont.
Already a lot from the Nexus community jumped on... modders throats, already the same scenario from the pay mods uproar from the past year is repeating again with almost the same comentrolls !

It's tragic ( but also somehow fun for me ) to see how the Nexus community is tearing appart from inside out again, with a little push from Beth.
It seems that a lot of people here don't understand a simple fact : THERE IS NO COMMUNITY!
Nexus was, is and it will be a DOWNLOAD hub, regular users DON'T care from where they download a mod, as long is free., no matter is a PC mod or a console mod.
The immense majority of the users from Nexus and world wide don't give a sht about IP, copyright or mod stealing, they only want to download for FREE a lot of mods also for FREE, maybe less than 1.5% really care about what is happening ( from 10 mil registered users!)

Here on Dark0ne post page ( !!! ) there a lot of comentrolls insulting moders ( Douchebags, morons, spoiled child's, how many mods have you uploaded than ME... sound familiar?). Have someone reported them to sanitise the air?...

This very noisy and violent group of comentrolls have shifted the discussion from console modding and IP protection to modders morale and intentions... again.

Don't expect soon the great modders, they won't return to this toxic environment.

Have a nice day !

cridus wrote: and where will they go? I mean, if they want to keep modding.
WiIIPWN4KFC wrote: @cridus That's just it, they don't need to share their mods.

"9. Mod authors make mods for themselves first, and you second. If the second part, you, becomes too much of a problem for them, they’ll simply not want to share them with you at all."
cridus wrote: mmh I'm pretty sure that those modders that make huge mods with side quests, many npcs, etc. don't do them for themselves. also because, since they made them, they aren't gonna enjoy them as much as other people would, since they already know absolutely everything about them.
metalguy7312 wrote: I am curious as to what the release dates are on those four major quest mods were compared to the CK release date..
I am no mod creator on that level but I would think that less than two months past a BETA release on the CK isn't much time to be releasing huge quest mods but I could be wrong.

*edit to add that I guess I disagree with the OP and that given time, they (large quest mods) will come
foster xbl wrote: Completely spot on. OP hit the nail directly on the head.
Cha0s_lord wrote: @cridus

I stopped modding after oblivion. Since then, I occasionally edit skyrim mods to fit my personal taste and I use the skills I had learned with blender to make 3D art. All that makes me perfectly happy.
At the same time, new modders come, learn the ropes, and eventually they will be the one making the "big" mods. Life goes on.
CaladanAnduril wrote: MetalGuy - Just look at the release dates of those mods on FO3 page... but maybe you are right, we must wait and hope, after all the hope is dying the last. :)
RaffTheSweetling wrote: Yeah OK thanks. I'm making a quest mod or 2. It takes time. Should I not sleep? not play with my daughter? Not help my pregnant wife? You wanna know something
I actually upload pics from my WIP all the time, and the absolute lack of support, endorsements (ahem), comments (except from a small number of ppl), is far more discouraging that the "toxic atmosphere" on some other damn website. I actually get around a half dozen endorsements usually. While a pic of some giant frigging boobs gets a ton. I delete my pics usually because I feel like the community doesn't care if people like me do this work or not. That's the truth. From someone who makes quest mods.
And as far as I'm concerned, my quest mods are great. File of the month great. So you really need some patience, and people here really need to show more support and focus on helping by endorsing and being enthusiastic about more than breasts and guns and bricking consoles, for a change.
CaladanAnduril wrote: Ok Raff

I TOTALLY agree with your statements... but boobs and nudes and guns will ALWAYS get more attention than quest mod, who need six months ( maybe a year or more) to be finished.
And sometimes is wayyyyy to difficult for some minds.

Have a nice day
arenthefox wrote: @Raffthesweetling Quest mods may not be the highest endorsed or most popular (let's be honest, sex sells and humans are, by-and-large, perverts), BUT, quest mods are awesome. They add more content and in a game like Fallout 4, I'm going to say I'm excited to see what you make, because even with all current DLC, I've ran out of quests to do and settlements to build. So I will wait, quietly but impatiently, for some quest mods :)

well, i don't agree with CaladanAnduril's points, although i think he comes really close to the crux of the matter but avoids it preferring rhetorical drama over having a coherent argument.

Yes, there is no community if you summarize what must be the 10m registered users of this site as a whole...yet, who in their right mind would consider such a hyperbole?
Yes, this topic is divisive merely because it attracts the trolls (who have been the ones to denigrate individual modders, obviously, for the very same reason)...yet here we stand in the nexus many years later with the mods for the most part being updated faithfully into something noone could have foreseen. And which isnt going to be ruined just because TESV is going to be ported.
Yes, this comment thread is rife with commentrolls, yet look at any facebook post by someone famous...censoring is hardly the answer in a democratic society especially when the aforementioned trolls have evolved beyond simple expletives and bigoted comments (although i see a few acronyms designed to fall under the radar; and apparently there's alot of crap that was deleted that was unevolved trolling)
Yes, this site is a download hub, yet are we here simply because of that? I hardly think i'd be here if the interface was anything like steam's workshop. lol. gods, one glance and i was gone...you'd think the regular user would bother with mods?

In fact, ask yourself this: If nexus didn't exist and all we had was the steam workshop, do you think the modding community would have taken off as it has? So credit where credit is due: the 'community' you believe doesn't exist, exists even if you're not around to hear them fell trees in a forest. Edited by MajorFreak

In response to post #39478620. #39478950, #39478990, #39479360, #39480785, #39481460, #39481565, #39482090, #39482190, #39482470, #39482645, #39521810 are all replies on the same post.

Kira8002 wrote: I've been using this website for 8 years I guess, and I never bothered coming out of the woodwork to express my opinions or whatever, but I guess now it's a good time. Here it goes:

Dark0ne, you are naive.

People gathered at Nexus for convenience and simplicity's sake. If things start getting too complex or full of drama (like this buzzwords filled post of yours), then we'll just move somewhere else, and this WILL happen to Nexus if you keep making mistakes like this. Your post will divide the community even more than console mods ever would.

We users and content creators own you nothing, you are entitled to nothing. If we see that this site isn't worth the trouble anymore, we'll just pack our s#*! and go.
everstitan wrote: then go and don't come back, right wing trumpeter
PonceMonster wrote: As much as I want to punch you in the face right now... Robin is love, Robin is life.
imbadatgames69 wrote: Wall just got 10ft higher, Pedro.
GarnetSan wrote: What do you mean by "things start getting too complex"? Also, being in charge of a website and releasing a statement to the comunity explaining the issue it has been having recently and explaining the small changes are going to be happening to the website so as to benefit the whole comunity is NOT drama. It's called being responsible towards your community.

Judging by your profile, no file pictures added, 0 endorsements, 7 posts, etc. I'd say that you are on nexus only to see what you can get from this community, which is absolutely fine, you are in your right to do so and it's within the guidelines of the community.

But the fact that you say that this post will divide a community in which you have not taken any part... is naïve.

Correcting your statement, this comunity does owe Dark0ne something, which is the ability to share content between ourselves so as to enjoy it. He is entitled to his own opinion and on his right to be the one to inform the community on which steps the website is going to take to prevent a very serious issue that affects it which is intellectual property theft.

If you think that trying to protect property from authors whose work you have been enjoying for eight years is "too much of a hassle" for you, then you can, as your said, pack your f*#@ing s#*! and go.
madpaddy wrote: THIS.... ( Judging by your profile, no file pictures added, 0 endorsements, 7 posts, etc. I'd say that you are on nexus to see what you can get from this community ).

8 years and you haven't given 1 endorsement not contributed a single thing, sorry but your words are as empty as your profile.
Nas00 wrote: Pack your s#*! and go then.

P.S: shut the door on your way out.
sp4rkfist wrote: Good bye then, it's not like you are an active user at nexus despite your join date.
juiceb1tch wrote: Aiite seeya.
Nogrim313 wrote: read the actual article dumb ass.
ArsenicTouch wrote: Next time you have a thought, just let it go Kira8002. It's clear you didn't even understand the point he was making before you started shooting your mouth off. Don't forget to let the door hit you on the way out.
creedofheresy wrote: Oh no, please don't leave and take the 0 mods you made away from us! Anything but that! We'll lose so much! What will we do with one less condescending snobbish uppity little bandwidth leech amongst the userbase?!

GTFO and take your BS with you, troll.

i don't think it's dividing this community at all. I had no idea about the skyrim port nor all the info about how mod stealers actually go about their heinous acts, nor bethesda's DMCA brainfart, nor any of this interesting trivia.

Why did i find out and read this article and then delve into the morass of a comment section (the only thing that "WILL happen" predictably) was that Dark0ne always has interesting things to say about this community because he's the voice of this very user friendly download hub's community. At least i assume such because of his obvious commitment to interacting with its functioning denizens (not just the obvious trolls)

But, i don't agree with calling you a troll just because you say he's naive...you're perfectly fine in voicing your opinion and if someone like me points out the flaws in your logic, society is all the more better for it...at least the ones that bothered to wonder what the site owner's link was instead of merely going for the "recent files" section Edited by MajorFreak