Boycott Beth.net

Mitigate

^^ (Ethreon ninja'd me while I was typing, this is directed at Igloo) My biggest issue with BugthesDerp.Nutshot's "system" is that a lot of the "planned features" are things that should have been in from the very f***ing beginning - things like mod authors being able to police their own comment thread(s), a search system that's actually FUNCTIONAL rather than one that shits out every single mod with whatever you typed in in the description, a moderation staff that actually does their f***ing jobs and doesn't take FIVE f***ing WEEKS to respond to blatant, unapologetic theft/ToS violation(s)... Do I really need to go on here?

Edited by WhiskeyRiver2

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ (Ethreon ninja'd me while I was typing, this is directed at Igloo) My biggest issue with BugthesDerp.Nutshot's "system" is that a lot of the "planned features" are things that should have been in from the very f***ing beginning - things like mod authors being able to police their own comment thread(s), a search system that's actually FUNCTIONAL rather than one that shits out every single mod with whatever you typed in in the description, a moderation staff that actually does their f***ing jobs and doesn't take FIVE f***ing WEEKS to respond to blatant, unapologetic theft/ToS violation(s)... Do I really need to go on here?

I remember the early days of the Nexus were very anarchic. I once downloaded an Oblivion mod that gave my PC a virus and I reported it and the mod stayed up for a month. Bethesda.net isn't perfect, but nothing is when it's just begun. All the current complaints that I've heard, while legitimate, don't take into account the site's age and the rate in which it's fixing problems. Bethesda.net also lets console users get mods, and though most people on these forums would scoff at the sentiment that console mods are a good thing, I humbly say that they are. I've received a total of zero negative/nasty comments on my mods, out of hundreds, and the sentiment amongst PC mod users is really negative these days. Maybe console users are a chance for modders to be appreciated by a larger audience.

Also, all these bethesda.aids, beth.cancer, BugthesDerp.Nutshot, comments really make this community come off as a bunch of adolescents.

Also, all these bethesda.aids, beth.cancer, BugthesDerp.Nutshot, comments really make this community come off as a bunch of adolescents.

And all these posts taking the words of a few and saying the whole community uses them are generalising without a base.

Selling out is opting for profit rather than keeping the soul together. In this case, the community.

At this point I suppose donating means nothing? Those who donate can get shafted? Thanks for the cash, sucker?

Edited by Mitigate

In my mind, if you're looking to get into a certain market, when there's a solid, well-respected example to work off of, you don't ignore it and do your own thing, and you damn sure don't ignore or refuse the creator of that well-respected example when s/he offers to help you get your s*** set up.

If I were going to start, say, making my own supercars, I wouldn't ignore an offer of assistance from Ferrari or Lamborghini unless I were an arrogant, uptight son-of-a-*censored*. Bethesda ignoring/refusing Robin's offer is that same type of arrogance/idiocy.

Edited by WhiskeyRiver2

Bethesda ignoring/refusing Robin's offer is that same type of arrogance/idiocy.

The Nexus is just a mine to be pillaged. Bethesda doesn't give one slight f*** about it. This is how capitalism works. It rapes and takes without a care for the mess it leaves behind.

Edited by Mitigate

So here is the Million Dollar question then... If paid mods reared their head again and you found you could make a profit for your work, would you abandon the Nexus and become exclusively beth.net? Would you sell out and do it even if they demanded you must be exclusively beth.net? Because that is ultimately the issue I have. I refused to use the Workshop last time and I refuse to use beth.net this time. So I would lose out on something I love due to Bethesda luring away the talent with the promise of coin. Something I have already paid for in the form of donations. I have donated about $40 to your work, and while that may not be all that much, I was happy to do it because people like you Arthmoor, are cornerstones of the modding community. Your contributions have turned amazing concepts from Bethesda into actual playable games. For people like you to sell out... That thought alone is enough for me to oppose anything that threatens the working system we already have here at the Nexus. And sadly, this is exactly what began to happen last time when we nearly lost SKYUI and others to the Workshop.

You didn't ask this question of me, but I've been using the Nexus for pretty much all of my decade-long modding career. So let us assume that if paid modding came around again Bethesda would require that any mods on their system (Bethesda.net) would only be allowed if Bethesda.net was the only distribution source (thus you couldn't also upload your mods to the Nexus). If we assume that (rather unlikely) premise was the case then I would most likely delete all my mods from the Nexus and move over to Bethesda.net permanently. In your eyes I'd definitely be a "sell out". But here's the thing: I don't care whether you think I'm a sell out. All I care about, in terms of paid mods, is whether people like my work and would be willing to pay 50 cents to a dollar for it. And based upon the sales figures in the previous paid modding system, that most likely would be the case.

Just to correct a technical detail, every single mod I've made that's currently available was made without touching a single one of Bethesda's tools.

While you may be technically correct in that none of your mods used the official Creation Kit tools, the only reason FO4Edit can create proper ESP files at all is because Bethesda created the ESM / ESP format in the first place and the TESxEdit creators were able to use the previous Creation Kit from Skyrim to figure out how the records worked. So while you are technically correct, your point is pretty much moot because the tools you used were only successfully created by third parties because those third parties had access to the first party Creation Kit.

I just don't get it. There's nothing wrong with the Nexus, nothing wrong with the community and then Bethesda comes along and tries to govern where no governance is required. The Nexus has served me well these last couple years, I see no reason to use any other mod site. Especially one run by a company that just seems to be forcing their way in without taking responsibility for any issues that come up, like theft. They haven't got a concern in the World for the mod author or user. As long as they get what they want. If they did care, they'd see all they're doing is causing problems and stop trying to change things.

If Bethesda really wanted to be the only game in town, they could simply ask / tell Dark0ne to delete all the Bethesda-related mods from the Nexus. If he didn't comply, Bethesda would simply sue the Nexus into the ground and strangle it with legal fees. Would it be nice? No. Would it be fair? No. Would it be a horribly stupid move on their part? Yes. But they could do it if they really wanted to do so.

Selling out is opting for profit rather than keeping the soul together. In this case, the community.

At this point I suppose donating means nothing? Those who donate can get shafted? Thanks for the cash, sucker?

Donating to a mod author doesn't make you special in any way, shape, or form, since the mod author is currently required to give away their work for free. When you buy something you make an exchange - you give the seller your money and they give you their product and both parties consent to this exchange. In a donation-only system like we currently have, the mod author can't presume to know what the donator "expects" to happen because the donator never tells the mod author what they want in "exchange" for the donation.

Let me put it another way: If you donated $1,000 to me and said that my receiving the donation required that I give you some level of authority over what I do with my work, I'd tell you to keep your money and never donate to me.

Edited by Reneer

Donating to a mod author doesn't make you special in any way, shape, or form.

It makes you a person who chose to do the right thing.

I know Reneer, I also know that it wouldn't be as easy if Bethesda hadn't set the game up to be moddable in the first place. It was just a technical correction of a mistake in the post I was responding too, rather than outright disagreement on principle.

Sorry, I can get hung up on irrelevant things sometimes. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.