ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Vault-Tec Workshop DLC Is Out - First Impressions

RaffTheSweetling

It's pretty much: Fallout Meets SIMS.

In fact that is pretty much what Fallout 4 is: FALLOUT 4 Meets SIMS.

You know, I may be a minority. But that's actually the major redeeming aspect of FO4 to me. I like playing something like a real person, having a life besides shooting everything in sight.

I noticed steam has added the workshop to my game, but I haven't played it yet. Not in the mood for FO4 as of now, so I can't comment on the new features.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The beta testers have done a piss-poor job testing this. I found countless objects in the huge cavern which when removed cause occlusion culling issues. Removed some debris from the train tunnel - giant white occlusion plane. Removed some granite rock - giant white occlusion plane and fell outside the level. I am absolutely amazed. I play for an hour and find this stuff almost immediately. What the hell?

In the defense of the beta testers I doubt bethesda listened to them very much. When myself and others documented bugs that we had found in the CK bethesda was typically slow in addressing them and some of those bugs we found are still in the CK. As long as the bugs weren't game breaking I think bethesda figures it's not worth the time or they'll patch it later.

Face it- FO4 is done, over. The 'novelty' approach to FO4 DLC (excluding FH) tells you all you need to know about what Beth thinks about this game.

As a short-lived AAA title, FO4 hit all its design goals- ie., made a fortune for a tiny dev budget. Pleasing the customer was the LAST thing on Beth's mind.

And here's the horrible thing. Even I have to admit FO4 was a high point of recent AAA releases- but that's because as cynical and lazy as the game is, most work by other AAA publishers is so much worse. A (very) disappointing true open-world game will still kick games of most other genres to the curb.

The REAL question is whether Beth continues down this road. Cheap GIMMICKS over gameplay. Cheap GIMMICKS over story. Gameplay is hard- and most devs do a poor job innovating here. But 'story' is much easier (as CDPR proved) when as a dev you are rich enough to be able to afford to bring in the professionals.

This whole in-game building thing has bewitched Beth, for obvious reasons. It is an amazing innovation in theory- but without true connections to significant gameplay, it is a cosmetic waste-of-time. Worse, in FO4 it literally torments the player, as using settlement building simply highlights how many AI mechanisms are totally broken.

I mean who here thinks Beth is commited to 'The Sims' gameplay, and will therefore pay significant dev time and money to make this work DECENTLY in their next open-world title? Mind you, I think that is a moot point, since I'm 100% certain the iDTech engine won't allow such a thing.

What I want to know is, does the new FO4 executable require a new version of F4SE?

No... There isn't a new game exe. This was only adding an additional esm.

I can honestly tell you I'll have no idea about anything regarding this so called DLC (if you really want to call it that). I'll never bother even checking it out. :down:

What I want to know is, does the new FO4 executable require a new version of F4SE?

NO it works fine.

Upon further investigation ... the only thing it did, as I retried the saved games that would not work, they still do not work. So I can only guess, that the Saves in question, were because of the updating - install of the DLC, while in game.

I wasn't expecting to like this DLC truth be told. I was looking forward to getting more workshop items though and that's where I'm dissapointed. The things I really wanted to use in my other settlements are not available outside the vault, the new security stations and the posters. I explored the whole area, killed all the baddies and left the vault. Not sure if I will bother with it anymore.

So like the original poster, I'm pretty underwhelmed with this one.

I too left the Vault and I'm not sure, I'll go back. Kind of like I'm leaving Strong where he is, as I will not bother to rescue him or the guy. Strong is simply beyond annoying and I'm fine w/him being left in the tower.

It seems little more than a quick slap-dash quest added to the premise of "vault set tiles are now in the workshop build-menu", which is confined to one location only in the entire game. Really lazy stuff.

Just a nitpick, but you can build vault pieces pretty much anywhere. Their demo stream showed a huge vault built over Spectacle Island.