Google and Evolution of the Internet

TheMastersSon

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it claim that Kissinger's first visits to Beijing were made in secret in our history books? What made this secrecy necessary?
Good luck using Google to locate an answer if you haven't already. also Bing. also Yahoo. There is no explanation provided, only a single "history" of commercial relations between the United States and China that dates back to 1971 (on June 10, 1971, President Nixon declared the lifting of our nation's 21-year embargo on China's Communist government). Prior to that, there was no official trade and the normalisation of relations between our nations didn't happen until 1979, more than seven years later
My recollection and history books also inform me that the United States was still at war with the People's Liberation Army of the Soviet Union (NOT China) at the time of Henry Kissinger's 1971 visit to China.

I don't recall ever being at war with the USSR...... There was the cold war.... but, no shootin'.

• 2 weeks later...

It was egregiously dumb and out of touch to localise the website and delete the original audio. It is obvious that this statement was made by a person who is unaware of the show's fan following.
We would use our lousy cable provider to see the dubbed version on TV if we wanted to
You just handed over a substantial sum of money to a software development firm for a change that nobody needed and didn't want.
We live in a Latin American country, therefore someone probably concluded that we don't understand English. This aggravates me.

OK, real curious what you are on about here. The US and China have NEVER been at war. In fact, during WWII, we fought on the same side. Sure, there was Korea, and Vietnam, but, no one ever officially declared we were at war. Neither China, nor the US.....

As for the rest of your post, I have no clue what you are talking about.

Have you ever watched some of those videos where people just go out, and ask people questions?

Yeah, there's a lot of people out there, that either don't know, or get it messed up, as far as basic history.

Modern education is an absolute mess. (Don't get me started on HS grads that can barely hand-write a sentence!)

As for Google. I am old enough to remember when we were recommending to search for something online we'd say "Google is your friend!"

Ummmm. Yeah.

I changed from Google to yahoo, late 90's/early 2000's. I stuck with them as my search engine until they switched over to using Bing. Bing doesn't give me results that I'm looking for. And honestly, I don't like M$.

Been with DuckDuckGo for several years now. They're ok. Decent.

Qwant, I think I've tried it twice. Wasn't very impressed. They've got a lot of growing yet to do. Tho I applaud them that they're trying!

Anyone remember Alta Vista?? :D

My dad was an english professor at a local college here for a lotta years. What depressed him the most, was seeing the quality of his students degrade dramatically over time. He would regularly get kids in his freshman english class, that COULDN'T READ...... The math profs had much the same complaint, their incoming freshman could barely manage basic math.... let alone algebra, or trig, forget calculus.....

The 'basic life skills' classes went away too. How to do basic cooking, create, and stick to a household budget, etc. We used to be in the top ten countries for education, now, I think we are like 35th, or so...... It's more important to teach 'inclusivity', or CRT, than it is reading, writing, and math and science. It's depressing just typing about it. :D

LOL I vaguely remember Alta Vista. Or at least, I remember it being around.

I was talking with the Uber driver that gave me a ride home Friday. She's an immigrant who is taking college classes to help her out with reading and writing, as English isn't her native language. She was telling me about her son.

This came as quite a shock. For some unknown, and completely ODD reason, now kids are being taught to practice their ABC's and Numbers starting from the BOTTOM of the page, and work their way up! o_O :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I mean... WT* is that back a**ward drek???

I was kinda gonna try to steer clear of the way that schools have been turned into political propaganda machines. But you just haaaaad to go and open that can! ;) ;P

Anyway, back OT. One thing I don't like about google search is that it will almost always direct you to wikipedia as some of the first results for a lot of queries. A site that is now no longer considered to be factual, or a reliable source of info.

Alta Vista is now owned by Yahoo.... and that is who generates their search results.

Wiki has never really been reliable, or factual..... does make for some interesting reading though. :) (entertainment value only please)

What I find amusing about google is, three people using the EXACT SAME search terms, will bring up entirely different results. :D

Not only results, but suggestions, as they type.

They try to say that it's based off of search and browsing history. But some folks get suggestions or results in things that they never would have even thought of.

Much less ever searched for.

Yahoo goes thru bing now. So indirectly, those results are bing.

It kinda depends on what you're looking for on wiki. Some of the gaming wikis are pretty close to being or actually are, 100%.

Anything that might even be remotely political? Yeah, no.

I am just not a fan of Bing..... (translates to 'disease' in chinese......) But then, I am not really a fan of Microsoft in general. :D But, I still run windows.....

Now THAT... is extremely interesting.

Totally did NOT know about that translation of Bing.

Serious Irony.

Even tho he no longer owns the company, MS still is, and will for many more years, still associated with Bill Gates in many people's minds.

Bill Gates. Wanted in 3 countries, for crimes against humanity.

Reason: Harmful inoculations against diseases which have caused deaths.

OR

Many of us do refer to windows as a virus. Medically speaking... virus... disease... common mental association.