Site redesign - sneak peek - part 1

TheTokenGeek

I think this looks fantastic, personally. I was very wary of what it might become, expecting it to be like a pinterest for mods or something. It looks great, though! I do agree with some other users, about the file tracking though. That is, way too many updates! There's not entirely too much that could be done to improve it, unfortunately, but if you could find some way to make it less overwhelming, it would be great. Coming back to the Nexus after two weeks and having 50+ tracking updates can be a little much.

Maybe organizing them into something more user friendly than just that drop down box would help too, it would make it much easier to work out what's what.

Either way, loving the progress. Thanks for keeping everyone updated!

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #41283095.

VanScythe wrote: I think it looks amazing! This is why Nexus is my favourite site on the net. You guys.

As for suggestions: If we're getting a collections option, we should get an "add to collection..." option on the drop down menu for a mod that opens a "pop-up" where we can select which collection to add the mod to.

I second this, great idea!

The Nexus is a very unique, thinking persons website. It is a showcase for the unique and brilliant. Its not for people in a hurry, it should never be trendy. The look of this new design does feel cloned and unoriginal. It looks dumbed down also. That direct download button looks like nothing but trouble for mod authors... useful for the hurried, impulsive and those who cant be bothered by reading descriptions and comments. That button is a very bad idea. The random selection button sounds fun, provided functionality is precise to a specific game. The search functions are all that were lacking with the current design. I sure would like to see a search function for the mod comments page that does not require going to the forum page aspect. The new design is a nice start but.... nah. This is The Nexus, precedents and presence must be set. The design should be a direct reflection. Which, by the way, shows just as it is.....Whats next? I also want to say thanks and appreciate the part where we all get a voice. Thanks for this place Robin!

In response to post #41277490. #41277685, #41278220, #41278890, #41280530, #41281770, #41282980 are all replies on the same post.

Raum777 wrote: OK; I want to say something here. If I have many Typos it's because I can't see very well. I can still play the games.
1. No Author should post their mod on Nexus until all the bugs, issues, or Problems are worked out.

2 Authors are to tell you how to install their mod and NOT take for granted you know what you are to do with their mods.

3. If a mod is to be installed it should tell you that it is to be installed by Nexus Mod Manager, Manual, or something has to be changed and what to change it to, in the Game's ini. Authors are dropping the ball quite a bit lately on what to do with their mods or how to set up their mods to use.

You did a wonderful job of setting up NMM and is easy to use and not lose all your mods trying to open it up to download. I use to lose up to 40 mods at a time for the last 5 years. But not it's not taking my mods away any more. Thank you so much for fixing it. As for the work you have been doing on Nexus; thank you for all you've been doing to make it better for everyone.

Sincerely,
Raum777
vlainstrike wrote: While quality assurance is an important goal, asking authors to withhold mod release until ALL bugs & issues are worked out is an impossible demand - especially for large, complicated mods.
TheeDugster wrote: Exactly. my little tiny mods I take hours to make still have issues.
Thallassa wrote: All software inherently has bugs. If you expect mods to be bugfree, well... congratulations! No mods for you!

And it's not the authors job to tell you how to install mods. There are literally hundreds of guides teaching you how to do that. Have a little bit of wherewithal and learn to google.

Or just RTFM. Most mod authors *do* explain how to install mods.
Timmster wrote: Apply your rules universally if you truly believe them, not just to modders. No Bethesda game would ever be released, because there is no limit to human's stupidity and creativity. We can try forever to make a perfect game or mod, but all it takes is one mistake on the creator's part or one inconceivable set of coincidences by a player to create a bug. That's why Nexus Mods has bug reports. I have one mod I work on and have over a dozen hours invested in it, and it still needs some kinks sorted out.

Personally, my one mod is a lone esp, so I assume anyone coming to Nexus Mods is completely capable of installing it without my help. Plenty of that can be found with a google search.

Most mods I've seen do have detailed enough descriptions if they're more complicated than that, but maybe I'm just more picky about what mods I even look at in the first place. If you've seen it with recent mods, ask the author to fix it. Don't try and get Nexus Mods to force them to. Nexus Mods is so popular because it is just as friendly to mod authors as it is to mod users.
forli wrote: 1. No mods is bugfree, and many bugs can only be discovered when thousands users play the mod (which require the author to upload the mod in the first place).
If we follow your rule, then the Nexus would be an empty place.

2. There are "Beginner guides" everywhere on the forums. If every author must tech to every user how to (generically) install a mod, then they would need to create a 300 lines long description/readme every time.
Except for complex mods, the procedure is always the same: download the package, extract it, read the readme, and if you understand what will happens to your game with the mod then drop everything in the Data folder, enable some esp/esm and play. The middle steps procedures are not our responsibilities. It's your problem if in 2016 you don't know how to extract a zip/rar/7z file. We must not teach you how to use a mod manager, as it's not our creation. The author of the mod manager is responsible for giving you the manual. If you don't know how to use a mod manager, you have to blame the mod manager's author, if he didn't give you enough/clear instructions, or yourself, if you don't like to read the readme.

3. I agree with this, but very often I see mods which clearly state there's a configuration file, with users which don't know just because they don't read what must be read, and very rarely I see mods which don't state there's a configuration file.
Many ini I saw were very exhaustive with explanations (sometimes the explanations are contained in the readme/manual, but they still exists). This means most (not all) of the times the cause of the problem are the users who don't read.

Finally: NMM is still far from begin a complete mod manager. I'll give you 3 trials:
a) Try to change the "Installation order" (not the "Load order") of the mods with NMM.
b) Tell me which files (one by one) are overwritten when you install/uninstall a mod.
c) Install a complex package without the support of scripts.
Complete mod mangers like Wrye Bash and Mod Organizer can execute these trials in no time, and the user is always informed of the situation before/after the changes.
Instead, NMM can't do any of them.
janishewski wrote: What you're asking for is impossible. There will always be incompatibilities once people start tinkering with their games. No mod author can possibly discover them all. As for number 2, that is like saying an autobody shop shouldn't sell car parts and enhancements unless they show every customer how to install every product they buy, or that someone that sells you a wok should teach you how to make stir fry. There are tons of very good resources on youtube and elsewhere, that make modding idiot proof. It is up to you to learn.

As to #1, when developers are able to meet this criteria, then maybe. lol Point is, games don't meet this criteria and they have millions of dollars and many many professional staff working on them full time; plus, the end user is paying money for the product. Yet, the mod author should only release an infallible product?

Mostly, mod authors do a great job producing a free product with no compensation and just a bit of appreciation.

Looking great so far!! Can't wait until you guys get it ready to use. I especially like the feature with the Random search button. I'm one of those who like to search through the mod database for those "hidden gems".

I loved your work!

This beautifully detailed and neat, I really like the new design.

SUGGESTION:

Would be nice to translate the page to the main languages, as we see daily in NEXUS there are new and old of different nationalities and languages people, so we understand each other better and this would help move more smoothly on the page.

I really like what I see, especially the news change. I rather enjoy reading the articles and comments to them, get a perspective on what others are thinking about a subject or situation.

The new functionality looks great as well and looks like the team might have done a bang up job of making the site work well for all platforms even if I mostly consider that a waste of time. I'm the type to not be browsing websites on anything mobile though so what would I know in that regard.