Site redesign - sneak peek - part 1

TheTokenGeek

It looks great guys. Obviously a lot of work and thought has gone into this project. It will be easier to give a more accurate critic once I have tried it all out.

Cheers,

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #41271475. #41271555, #41271810, #41272480, #41275420 are all replies on the same post.

mysticentity wrote: Looking really good.
I'm a bit hesitant about the download link right in the mod browsing section only because that could lead to more angry/confused/silly comments directed at the mod authors because the downloader didn't read the description to fully understand what he/she/they were downloading.
CreeperLava wrote: Agreed, I said the same thing a few posts below :).
Gribbleshnibit8 wrote: You say that as though anyone reads the descriptions even after clicking through to the mod page...
CreeperLava wrote: Having the description below is at least an incentive to read it, removing that incentive won't ameliorate the situation in any way... What would you propose ?
Sam Fisher wrote: +1 to this, even with red text disclaimers on the first line and clearly stated info people sometimes just ignore it, having direct downloads will only make this much much worse. If anything I'd add something to make it harder for people to download without at least going past the description. Annoying, but stupid comments are also annoying. On the other hand, I guess there will always be stupid people being stupid, but encouraging their stupidity won't make it any better.

I agree with this 100%.

In response to post #41272325. #41274465, #41275065, #41275135, #41275585, #41276745 are all replies on the same post.

J Allin wrote: If it aint broke, don't fix it... ;)
pedantic wrote: Sage advice :)
sonogu wrote: Which must have been told more than a year ago, before the hundreds of hours hard work :)
HadToRegister wrote:

sonogu
Which must have been told more than a year ago, before the hundreds of hours hard work

This is the first I've heard about it?
sonogu wrote: http://www.nexusmods.com/games/news/12539/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/games/news/12620/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/games/news/12630/?

These are the news I found about the redesing of the site... It's been a while and have been announced in every step.
piotrmil wrote: That is very, very true. I do hope that the authors will give us options instead of shoving the new design down our throats.

Agreed

I've personally got grave concerns about the implimentation of a direct download button in the mod browsing section, sure it makes downloading a mod easier, but it also has the downsides of encouraging user behaviour that basically ignores reading a mod description before downloading (which results in careless/ignorant users running into problems) and I'd hazard a guess that it will definitely increase forgetfulness/apathy/couldn't-care-less attitudes regarding endorsements of mods; particularly less popular mods (I'll admit that the 'random' tab is a great idea & might go some way to shine the spotlight on hidden-gem mods, but can't see it encouraging more users to actually endorse these hidden-gems) who rely more heavily on that to increase their traction/user base on the site. For new mod authors, this could mean the difference between continuing to develop their modding skills & making bigger and better mods, or just giving up.

I don't believe that decreasing the amount of interaction a user has to have with a mods page to have access to the mod download is a step in the right direction, considering as the current system works fine, and wonder what the long-term consequences of this design decision will be.

Atm, I can't really offer any other constructive criticism until I've had a 'hands-on' test of the new functionality of the redesign.

OK; I want to say something here. If I have many Typos it's because I can't see very well. I can still play the games.

1. No Author should post their mod on Nexus until all the bugs, issues, or Problems are worked out.

2 Authors are to tell you how to install their mod and NOT take for granted you know what you are to do with their mods.

3. If a mod is to be installed it should tell you that it is to be installed by Nexus Mod Manager, Manual, or something has to be changed and what to change it to, in the Game's ini. Authors are dropping the ball quite a bit lately on what to do with their mods or how to set up their mods to use.

You did a wonderful job of setting up NMM and is easy to use and not lose all your mods trying to open it up to download. I use to lose up to 40 mods at a time for the last 5 years. But not it's not taking my mods away any more. Thank you so much for fixing it. As for the work you have been doing on Nexus; thank you for all you've been doing to make it better for everyone.

Sincerely,

Raum777

I'm liking what I see, but I do agree with the direct download concerns of others.

I still would like to see a decent advanced search system underneath the type & go box provided. As a librarian, I like to be able to drill into stuff and not have to step through many pages.

Many thanks for your ongoing developments!

In response to post #41277490.

Raum777 wrote: OK; I want to say something here. If I have many Typos it's because I can't see very well. I can still play the games.
1. No Author should post their mod on Nexus until all the bugs, issues, or Problems are worked out.

2 Authors are to tell you how to install their mod and NOT take for granted you know what you are to do with their mods.

3. If a mod is to be installed it should tell you that it is to be installed by Nexus Mod Manager, Manual, or something has to be changed and what to change it to, in the Game's ini. Authors are dropping the ball quite a bit lately on what to do with their mods or how to set up their mods to use.

You did a wonderful job of setting up NMM and is easy to use and not lose all your mods trying to open it up to download. I use to lose up to 40 mods at a time for the last 5 years. But not it's not taking my mods away any more. Thank you so much for fixing it. As for the work you have been doing on Nexus; thank you for all you've been doing to make it better for everyone.

Sincerely,
Raum777

While quality assurance is an important goal, asking authors to withhold mod release until ALL bugs & issues are worked out is an impossible demand - especially for large, complicated mods.