Site redesign - sneak peek - part 1

TheTokenGeek

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda like it. I look forward to you showcasing game specific main pages (like nexusmods.com/fallout4/ for example) because those are mainly the pages from which I navigate to other pages related to one particular game.

I hope we can pick which tab is opened by default when visiting a game main page instead of news being the default one. Nothing wrong with putting emphasis there but to me the main things are the files and I read the news thanks to the notification system we currently have.

One more suggestion would be adding the last update date next to the info bar under each mod (the one containing size, endorsements and downloads).

Love the random button feature!

In response to post #41271475. #41271555, #41271810 are all replies on the same post.

mysticentity wrote: Looking really good.
I'm a bit hesitant about the download link right in the mod browsing section only because that could lead to more angry/confused/silly comments directed at the mod authors because the downloader didn't read the description to fully understand what he/she/they were downloading.
CreeperLava wrote: Agreed, I said the same thing a few posts below :).
Gribbleshnibit8 wrote: You say that as though anyone reads the descriptions even after clicking through to the mod page...

Having the description below is at least an incentive to read it, removing that incentive won't ameliorate the situation in any way... What would you propose ?

In response to post #41270645. #41271765 is also a reply to the same post.

shingallon wrote: Gonna be honest, I'm not digging it, but mainly because I find "perfect boxes of single flat color/no gradients" to be about the ugliest damn design choice anyone can make. It's the visual equivalent of plain toast.
Why no, I'm not a fan of Windows 10's UI, why do you ask?
Bonechip wrote: Agreed. Not a fan of the "Tiles".

I prefer a condensed easy-to-read list like it currently is.

It's kind of a trend with everything these days, Look at every game and website past 2010, everyone goes for this straight oversimplified bland max 3 colour square design. It has it's advantages, but it has absolutely no style. A website or a game is no longer recognisable by it's UI, and UI is something you sometimes see more than the game itself.

Overall I like the cleaner view and the way it uses the entire browser window, not just a column in the middle like the current setup does. And I like how the news are tagged with keywords - site news, game news, mod news, etc.

I was dismayed, however, at seeing how all the mods for all the games will be featured on the front page. I use Nexus Mods for just two games, and don't play any others (no time). Currently I have the main pages for these two games bookmarked for quick and easy access, but that means I don't see what is going on in the other games. I could go back to using the front page as my main access if I could just see one small detail:

What games these featured mods are for?? It would help me zoom in on the featured mods for the games I do play. Maybe a tagging system similar to the news and articles with the name of the source game for each mod in the upper corner so I can skim over the front page and see what's going on in the modding world.

Looking forward to giving this a whirl on both my computer and my iPad!

In response to post #41272545.

alt3rn1ty wrote: It looks like Bethesda.net - And people are wanting somewhere to get away from that awful mess

Why does the site need favourites "on site", when every browser we use has bookmarks which do the same job ?

Because my browser bookmarks are already cluttered with hundreds of links. Having on-site favorites would save me from a ton of hassle.

In response to post #41272545. #41272865 is also a reply to the same post.

alt3rn1ty wrote: It looks like Bethesda.net - And people are wanting somewhere to get away from that awful mess

Why does the site need favourites "on site", when every browser we use has bookmarks which do the same job ?
Ladez wrote: Because my browser bookmarks are already cluttered with hundreds of links. Having on-site favorites would save me from a ton of hassle.

So you can quickly access your the nexus site for your games quickly. The current site already has such a feature (been there for a while), just hover over the nexusnetwork button in the upper right corner of the page bellow your name.

Personally I prefer to not fill my bookmarks with subpages I can already easily access.

In response to post #41272545. #41272865, #41272980 are all replies on the same post.

Ladez wrote: Because my browser bookmarks are already cluttered with hundreds of links. Having on-site favorites would save me from a ton of hassle.
}{ellKnight wrote: So you can quickly access your the nexus site for your games quickly. The current site already has such a feature (been there for a while), just hover over the nexusnetwork button in the upper right corner of the page bellow your name.

Personally I prefer to not fill my bookmarks with subpages I can already easily access.

I still don't know what Bethesda.net is supposed to be.
There is just a bunch of pictures, no forum, no content whatsoever.