Site redesign - sneak peek - part 1

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #41268885. #41269455, #41269515, #41270195, #41270680, #41271055, #41271230, #41271690, #41298150, #41299235, #41302960 are all replies on the same post.

EnaiSiaion wrote: Yay the site is usable on phones! <3
vault75 wrote: Why would you download a mod on a phone?
piotrmil wrote: Perhaps to monitor one's page, or respond to comments? Although god knows how can one do that on a non-existent keyboard.
MokChaoticran wrote: I typed up an essay for one of my courses on my phone man, it's more feasible than you'd think.
Sacremas wrote: The site is usable on smartphones now, I used it during my holidays a week ago, made a post on Ordinator's pages and all. It just requires a LOT of zooming and messing around. And yes, typing can be painful, especially with autocorrect enabled on another language. X(
Corpsehatch wrote: @Sacremas - I sometimes post comments on mods while on break at work. Not the most ideal thing to do from a phone.
Chinamann wrote: @vault75

Maybe not download but browsing new files? That's what I do on work. Our proxy doesn't allow me to access nexus via the company's internet connection.
Andzz wrote: Ever heard of Word Flow, Swype or SwiftKey? Only sadomasochists type letter by letter, swiping is much faster.
BlindJudge wrote: This is by no means final, but these are a few screens of how it will look on a phone.

Just created these to give you all some example:

http://i.imgur.com/ECBnTuOm.jpg

Click the image to see full screen :thumbsup:
seba1337 wrote: .... I think I orgasmed a little. This is so nice!
EnaiSiaion wrote:
Why would you download a mod on a phone?
Download? I can't even get to my own mod pages from the main page because tapping on Files deploys the dropdown menu for 0.1 seconds before loading the Top Files page because phones don't have mouseover events.

This is by no means final, but these are a few screens of how it will look on a phone.
Looks great, but I'm curious how well it will scale. I have a slightly bigger phone and many sites go haywire and shrink into a corner or the navigation menu is off screen. If you can make this work, you're doing a better job than my bank!
:tongue:

because you're not always at your pc when you see one you like or they maybe like I was until a month or so ago. I didn't have internet on my pc so all my downloads were first to my phone then transferred to my pc.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #41268885. #41269455, #41269515, #41270195, #41270680, #41271055, #41271230, #41271690, #41298150, #41299235, #41302960, #41308245 are all replies on the same post.

EnaiSiaion wrote: Yay the site is usable on phones! <3
vault75 wrote: Why would you download a mod on a phone?
piotrmil wrote: Perhaps to monitor one's page, or respond to comments? Although god knows how can one do that on a non-existent keyboard.
MokChaoticran wrote: I typed up an essay for one of my courses on my phone man, it's more feasible than you'd think.
Sacremas wrote: The site is usable on smartphones now, I used it during my holidays a week ago, made a post on Ordinator's pages and all. It just requires a LOT of zooming and messing around. And yes, typing can be painful, especially with autocorrect enabled on another language. X(
Corpsehatch wrote: @Sacremas - I sometimes post comments on mods while on break at work. Not the most ideal thing to do from a phone.
Chinamann wrote: @vault75

Maybe not download but browsing new files? That's what I do on work. Our proxy doesn't allow me to access nexus via the company's internet connection.
Andzz wrote: Ever heard of Word Flow, Swype or SwiftKey? Only sadomasochists type letter by letter, swiping is much faster.
BlindJudge wrote: This is by no means final, but these are a few screens of how it will look on a phone.

Just created these to give you all some example:

http://i.imgur.com/ECBnTuOm.jpg

Click the image to see full screen :thumbsup:
seba1337 wrote: .... I think I orgasmed a little. This is so nice!
EnaiSiaion wrote:
Why would you download a mod on a phone?
Download? I can't even get to my own mod pages from the main page because tapping on Files deploys the dropdown menu for 0.1 seconds before loading the Top Files page because phones don't have mouseover events.

This is by no means final, but these are a few screens of how it will look on a phone.
Looks great, but I'm curious how well it will scale. I have a slightly bigger phone and many sites go haywire and shrink into a corner or the navigation menu is off screen. If you can make this work, you're doing a better job than my bank!
:tongue:
LadyHonor wrote: because you're not always at your pc when you see one you like or they maybe like I was until a month or so ago. I didn't have internet on my pc so all my downloads were first to my phone then transferred to my pc.

What's a smartphone ?

Guess I'm one of the few tin-foil hat peeps, I don't own nor use a mobile device since I work from home.

Just have a pair of VOIP services for work + business + personal use.

Is anyone at all worried that games won't have their own subsites anymore? Because if every game is searched from essentially the same page, this site goes from a grand department store to a cornerstore automat.Convenient (kinda) but a lot less personality.

No, NONONONONNONONONNONONONNONONONONONONONONONONONO PLEASE GOD NO!!!!

What the HELL is with everyone thinking they need an obtuse HUD layout that "looks vewy pwetty", but has the functionality of a dead horse tied to the rudder of a nuclear submarine?!?!

I blame Windows 8 for starting this really stoopid trend of "gigantic boxes and nothing else" page elements, but why in the WORLD do you think you need that here? It makes searching for things SOOO hard!

Did you learn NOTHING from the shitty-ass website Bethesda just set up for their own Fallout 4 mods!? That's gotta be the WORSE site design I've ever seen!!!

"Function > Form"! Just like another thing people have forgotten - "Gameplay > Graphics/Realism"...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is it that everyone woke up one morning and suddenly started going:

"You know, we have a tried-and-tested HUD layout that's worked amazingly for us for years and years and years, but it's been so long since wer f*#@ed with it - let's completely rearrange everything about it into the new modern trend of "looks totally cool, but is almost unusable without taking a 7-week training course on it's use" for no reason! Yeah!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Normally I go over my enraged comments once I've calmed down a bit, but I stand by evertyhting I said above, and as I can feel my anger rising again just be being here, this is the only "appology" I will even attaempt to make:

http://i.imgur.com/GirLePg.jpg

Edited by UlithiumDragon

In response to post #41312225.

UlithiumDragon wrote: No, NONONONONNONONONNONONONNONONONONONONONONONONONO PLEASE GOD NO!!!!

What the HELL is with everyone thinking they need an obtuse HUD layout that "looks vewy pwetty", but has the functionality of a dead horse tied to the rudder of a nuclear submarine?!?!

I blame Windows 8 for starting this really stoopid trend of "gigantic boxes and nothing else" page elements, but why in the WORLD do you think you need that here? It makes searching for things SOOO hard!

Did you learn NOTHING from the shitty-ass website Bethesda just set up for their own Fallout 4 mods!? That's gotta be the WORSE site design I've ever seen!!!

"Function > Form"! Just like another thing people have forgotten - "Gameplay > Graphics/Realism"...

"You know, we have a tried-and-tested HUD layout that's worked amazingly for us for years and years and years, but it's been so long since wer f*#@ed with it - let's completely rearrange everything about it into the new modern trend of "looks totally cool, but is almost unusable without taking a 7-week training course on it's use" for no reason! Yeah!"

EDIT: Normally I go over my enraged comments once I've calmed down a bit, but I stand by evertyhting I said above, and as I can feel my anger rising again just be being here, this is the only "appology" I will even attaempt to make:

Also, someone please explain to me ANY scenario where you'd want to browse mods for every single game all at once - I cannot BEGIN to fathom how ANYONE could think this would be SUCH a necessary feature that it was set as the "default"!!!

I presume this means that every hyperlink to the "old" individual game sites will break as well, just like they did the last time you guys decided to revamp your domain naming scheme...

I think this update looks really crisp and fresh. The knew modern sharp features will makes this sight look more legitimate. this makes it much more inviting to all the knew people who want to start modding their games and not get scared away by a slightly "dodgy" looking site ;).

It all looks very promising, I will miss the old sit but i'm glad for the change and eagerly await its release.

In response to post #41312225. #41312400 is also a reply to the same post.

UlithiumDragon wrote: No, NONONONONNONONONNONONONNONONONONONONONONONONONO PLEASE GOD NO!!!!

UlithiumDragon wrote: Also, someone please explain to me ANY scenario where you'd want to browse mods for every single game all at once - I cannot BEGIN to fathom how ANYONE could think this would be SUCH a necessary feature that it was set as the "default"!!!

I presume this means that every hyperlink to the "old" individual game sites will break as well, just like they did the last time you guys decided to revamp your domain naming scheme...

I fail to see where the new Nexus page has lost any functionality. Go to the homepage right now (http://www.nexusmods.com/) and tell me that we've lost something, because I genuinely don't see what you're talking about.Seriously, do you actually use the Nexus main page? I just go straight to the game page because the current page is all but useless.

The new one looks just as compact and information-dense as the old one. It just happens to be cleaner because it actually takes advantage of all the empty space that the current page is blatantly wasting. In fact, with the addtion of the news bar and more functional drop downs, I'd say that the new page is not only cleaner to look at but exceptionally more useful than the current home page. Slap a "Featured Mods" marquee at the top and it'd be more functional and visually appealing than than the current game pages.

"I presume this means that every hyperlink to the "old" individual game sites will break as well, just like they did the last time you guys decided to revamp your domain naming scheme..."

First of all, that *is* the default currently. Just look at the home page (not a game's home page *the* home page). You can see "Our latest files" (for all games) right there.

More importatnly, you're basing your criticism entirely on the assumption that the new Nexus simply won't work. Of course a website that doesn't work will suck, but clearly Nexus isn't aiming to make a website that doesn't work. Edited by RoboticWater

I think it will make the site look a lot better, I personally was waiting for a new look, as this one just looks a bit old and bland. The new layout will definitely make it look a lot better! Maybe add a "Beta" that we can just switch on and off? So we can use either layout, until it actually comes out?