Site redesign - sneak peek - part 1

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #41331365.

pewpewcachu4 wrote: comments are disabled on youtube lmao thats probably because the nexus staff has enough people that hate them to make a new country

Or we just like to keep things in one place. YouTube comments have always been a cesspit, so we're following TotalBiscuit's lead and keeping things in one place.

If what you want to say can only be said on YouTube, it likely wasn't constructive in any way, shape or form. So naturally, we couldn't care less about that. Edited by Dark0ne

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #41336400.

rubenpaca wrote: They've removed my comment because I said I didn't like it. I wasn't disrespectful, just expressed my opinion. Looks like they only want positive opinions.

Your comment hasn't been removed at all, it's right here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4744645-site-redesign-sneak-peek-part-1/page-17?p=41282915&do=findComment&comment=41282915

It's back on page 3 if looking at it from the site side.

The new nexu design looks stunning and functional. The thing that most annoys me with the current site is the tracking centre. It would be cool if there were multiple ways to arrange the tracked mods in addition to the date of latest update (I would prefer arranging the mods by the date I've added them to the tracking centre). Also it would be reeaaallllly practical if one would be able to create sub folders in the tracking centre. For reference atm. I have 11 pages on my Fallout 4 tracking centre so it's really a major nuisance to browse through the tracked mods.

Only thing i wish is a function to download all via checkboxes as example. Or is this the collection stuff is coming? Actually its annoying after a wipe to install/deinstall/download with every single click for mods again....

Categories moved away in the new design?

Video review, well... Can't see/say much for now to this short video and without really (source)infos... First impression...

pro

+ Clean functional, not overloaded

contra

- again 3rd party connections to social platforms

/ maybe

depends on the view - Its not better to put the news on the top of the page instead of "we support those games here" ?

Other point how you're realize advertising/tracking stuff in the new system? 3rd party and intern...

Will there be a function to hide single categories like news? I would do this and same for the first "choose your games" for logged in members. Important is to reach desired stuff fast and directly without searching too much... but thats tuning in details after all and from own experience it's much work ;]

Edited by Angwar

In response to post #41336400. #41336665 is also a reply to the same post.

rubenpaca wrote: They've removed my comment because I said I didn't like it. I wasn't disrespectful, just expressed my opinion. Looks like they only want positive opinions.
The Vampire Dante wrote:
In response to post #41336400.

Your comment hasn't been removed at all, it's right here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4744645-site-redesign-sneak-peek-part-1/page-17?p=41282915&do=findComment&comment=41282915

It's back on page 3 if looking at it from the site side.

Thank you. I used ctrl+f on several pages and couldn't find it. I couldn't understand it...

In response to post #41318070.

thenamelesswatcher wrote: Quite a lot of vitriol regarding the panel layout. What exactly is the problem with it? It solves the issue mentioned of being touch device friendly. Maybe have the ability to switch between that and something similar to current where small blocks of text can be read. Or have the text boxes underneath. It also does help the site look cleaner and more modern.

That being said I rarely look at the site in overview mode, so I am looking forward to what game specefic pages will look like

It's called "how to use up twice as much bandwidth as before" design
This site is already slow for me in some spots, (waiting 2 minutes for a files page to load on some mods), I can't image an entire page loaded with tiles and pics and squares while it dynamically assembles and sorts itself.

In response to post #41328715.

crazyjackal wrote: I really like the header and the redesign of it. I like how responsive it looks. No more clicking "Search" to make a search.

"File Updates" intrigues me. File Tracking is lacking at the moment. It simply shows a list of mods in the order of latest upload. The Tracking List feed on the game page is like a pointless Facebook wall, unless you edit your preference to show nothing but author actions, you'll be flooded with user actions such as comments and image uploads otherwise.

I'm curious to know if the new site will have NMM tracking functionality, where the website will know what version of what mod you last downloaded and notify you if a newer version has been uploaded by the author (although this seems to be broken in NMM now).

Personally, I don't like Tiles for mod previews. I like the "Flat" design over "Blocks".

When I say "Flat", I mean where mods are listed one after the other, each mod has a landscape preview section (rather than tile) with Mod Title, Thumbnail, Short Description.

I find it easier reading through lists which is what the "Flat" system is. "Flat" does take up more space per mod but I'm more likely to view each thumbnail and read each short description as I scroll down.

Grids are a bit messier and and clustered. With "Blocks" I am far more likely to miss mods in that mess and also forget where I last stopped checking previously if I'm looking at "Latest Files".

Blocks: http://i.imgur.com/3U5frei.png
Flat: http://i.imgur.com/2xJHONg.png

Going to have to agree here, and also, looking at your examples, the blocks prevent you from seeing much of the info, and the titles are cut off, requiring you to click on them and go to the page, while in the list mode, you can the info you need.

Just another reason why I hate BLOCKS, all they're good for is showing a nice picture, with cut-off text above and under it.

In response to post #41328715. #41340150 is also a reply to the same post.

crazyjackal wrote: I really like the header and the redesign of it. I like how responsive it looks. No more clicking "Search" to make a search.

"File Updates" intrigues me. File Tracking is lacking at the moment. It simply shows a list of mods in the order of latest upload. The Tracking List feed on the game page is like a pointless Facebook wall, unless you edit your preference to show nothing but author actions, you'll be flooded with user actions such as comments and image uploads otherwise.

I'm curious to know if the new site will have NMM tracking functionality, where the website will know what version of what mod you last downloaded and notify you if a newer version has been uploaded by the author (although this seems to be broken in NMM now).

Personally, I don't like Tiles for mod previews. I like the "Flat" design over "Blocks".

When I say "Flat", I mean where mods are listed one after the other, each mod has a landscape preview section (rather than tile) with Mod Title, Thumbnail, Short Description.

I find it easier reading through lists which is what the "Flat" system is. "Flat" does take up more space per mod but I'm more likely to view each thumbnail and read each short description as I scroll down.

Grids are a bit messier and and clustered. With "Blocks" I am far more likely to miss mods in that mess and also forget where I last stopped checking previously if I'm looking at "Latest Files".

HadToRegister wrote: Going to have to agree here, and also, looking at your examples, the blocks prevent you from seeing much of the info, and the titles are cut off, requiring you to click on them and go to the page, while in the list mode, you can the info you need.

Just another reason why I hate BLOCKS, all they're good for is showing a nice picture, with cut-off text above and under it.

I hate "blocks" too, when I see a site start forcing me to use a block set up, I tend to not use it as much. It is to CLUTTERED, and as someone with a learning disability it easly overwhelms me and I can not focus on any one thing.

Please please please give us a option to have the Flat set up too, like we do now. You can change a ton of things but dont change the core function that the site has had for so many many many years, its one of the reasons I stuck around here more then other sites that failed in the beginning. Nexus was just so easy to look at and use...

In response to post #41328715. #41340150, #41342120 are all replies on the same post.

HadToRegister wrote: Going to have to agree here, and also, looking at your examples, the blocks prevent you from seeing much of the info, and the titles are cut off, requiring you to click on them and go to the page, while in the list mode, you can the info you need.

nivea wrote: I hate "blocks" too, when I see a site start forcing me to use a block set up, I tend to not use it as much. It is to CLUTTERED, and as someone with a learning disability it easly overwhelms me and I can not focus on any one thing.

Please please please give us a option to have the Flat set up too, like we do now. You can change a ton of things but dont change the core function that the site has had for so many many many years, its one of the reasons I stuck around here more then other sites that failed in the beginning. Nexus was just so easy to look at and use...

IM HPED FOR THIS!!!!