Tutorial: 3ds Max Skinned Meshes Into Game

Vannus

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/527208-how-do-you-insert-the-whole-body-inside-armor/

The armor is the one I did in Max and actualy got it in the game so it will fit around a body without clipping in the back. The armor works perfectly fine with the original upperchest/neck/wrist/ankle body but When I try to insert the body it flat out wont happen. If I add the body mesh in max the whole thing is screwed up. And yes I did both versions.

@huckpie

you forgot to set the number of skinpartition in clothes nitrishape...it still using "BP_torso" thats why it wont show up..make sure you number it corettly which i think its 32..

I only just realised this important step is not actually mentioned in the OP. Not cool.

also note the tangents and binormals are totally borked. you need to update tspace.

How can I fix those things? Do I have to do them all in the Skope or in Max? Also, which specific Nifskope version should I use?

Spells>batch>update tangent space to recalc the vertex normals

and in the BSDismemberSkinInstance under partition you'll see body part, it'll be set as BP_Torso. Change "BP_Torso" to "32"'.

I'm still sooooo effing confused at this. I can't find the BP_Torso thing that you're talking about.

NINJA EDIT: Turns out that I only edited the 0 model and not the corresponding 1.

Edited by huckpie

I'm still sooooo effing confused at this. I can't find the BP_Torso thing that you're talking about.

NINJA EDIT: Turns out that I only edited the 0 model and not the corresponding 1.

make sure block detail tab are open (press F3) in your file, expand the clothes nitrishape, than highlight "BSDismemberSkinInstance" than go to block details tab, you'll see the most bottom are "partition" expand it until you find "Body part" right side of it theres "Type" and "Value" column, go change the "BP_Torso" with 32 in value column. its important to set this number, FYI you can see the particular number for various part body here made by Sk8on, kudo's to him/her.

I haven't had an issue making and testing an _0 version as long as an _1 wasn't in the mesh folder when testing it. Anyway mine is done except for the texture and getting gauntlets to show more than just the hand part. I used those settings you gave me Dizzaster and it didn't change anything, so that wasn't what was causing it.

Now I'm on a new project doing a whole armor from scratch but my vertice weights refuse to cooperate. fix one and another bones vertice weights gets screwed up, fix that and something else breaks. painting them doesn't work... frustrating to say the least and I have been working vertice weights all day.

Hey i am having similar problems....not Using 3DS Max though I'm using blender..Make and use _0 just fine. Use Lattice morph to morph armor to _1 and it skews up.. as seen here Mesh Problem. any idea's?

i have been through dozens of tutorials. everything is exactly the same. on both meshes as far as i can tell. I didn't delete or remove any vertices.

Hey i am having similar problems....not Using 3DS Max though I'm using blender..Make and use _0 just fine. Use Lattice morph to morph armor to _1 and it skews up.. as seen here Mesh Problem. any idea's?

i have been through dozens of tutorials. everything is exactly the same. on both meshes as far as i can tell. I didn't delete or remove any vertices.

From looking at your video I can tell it is definately a difference between the mesh_0.nif and the mesh_1.nif because it looks normal when set at minimum or maximum.

The best way to get it right is to create your mesh_0 then the mesh_1 but what you want to do is save the mesh_0 then morph it to the mesh_1 then save the same mesh_0 as mesh_1. Don't even use the mesh_1 for anything other than a morph target if that makes sense. You only use one mesh and save it 2 different ways thus creating your 2 meshes needed. Sorry I haven't worked with blender for years so I can't tell you the exact steps to take.