Railroad question.

TummaSuklaa

From the wiki:

If one is a Railroad agent but is Banished from the Institute then this also ends the Railroad quest line as the player character remaining undercover was vital to the plan. Desdemona encourages the player character to stop the Institute with the Commonwealth Minutemen as she sees it as the best remaining option for protecting the synths.

So, let me get this straight. I also have to join the institute and keep playing nice?

Well, since you mention the Wiki, I assume you haven't actually played that arc. So, lore spoiler alert or something. In case you missed the same lore in FO3.

You seem to assume that the Railroad just wants the institute turned into a crater, and the crater ploughed with salt. And they'd be happy no matter how you do that. But that's not what they actually want.

To understand, you must understand this: The Railroad doesn't care much about humans, even human slaves, or human victims of the Institute (e.g., University Point), or anything. They only care about synths. Period. Desdemona at one point even essentially confesses that she sees the human settlers in the commonwealth as a bigger threat than the Institute. 'cause, you know, a lot of them don't play nice to synths.

The Railroad's main goal isn't to turn the institute into a crater. It's to save the synths.

In fact, if you do turn the institute into a crater without evacuating the synths, the Railroad turns instantly hostile. Not only they don't thank you for destroying the institute, but they'll start having a shoot on sight policy of you for killing the synths down there.

So to turn back to your question, well, that's WHY you have to keep playing a double agent. Because they're more interested in your being down there to potentially free more synths (e.g., in Patriot's quest) than in your nuking the Institute. The former is primary goal, the latter is at best target of opportunity.

In fact, if you do turn the institute into a crater without evacuating the synths, the Railroad turns instantly hostile. Not only they don't thank you for destroying the institute, but they'll start having a shoot on sight policy of you for killing the synths down there.

Which is the quest that turns the Brotherhood against you, if I recall correctly. Nobody in the Commonwealth will ever agree to just get along.

Which is the quest that turns the Brotherhood against you, if I recall correctly. Nobody in the Commonwealth will ever agree to just get along.

all commonwealth factions are self delusional and will not accept any other -- for any reason

except maybe

death

that faction they all follow

Well, I didn't mean the quest. You get a final chance at freeing whatever synths still want out by triggering the evacuation before you nuke the place. The railroad turns insta-hostile if you don't trigger the evacuation when you nuke the place.

The quest that irrecoverably turns the BoS hostile to you is collecting the "Flux Capacitor" (or whatever it's called) from the Mass Fusion building - As a RR Double/Undercover Agent you actually collect it to help the Institute with their power problems = Instant BoS enemy as soon as you step foot on the roof as an RR agent. (even has a pop-up warning you of this fact), because as a BoS Knight you will have to collect it to restart Liberty Prime.

I don't "think" butchering every bucket head you come across and/or shooting down every flying coffin will turn the BoS hostile, as I haven't tried it (yet). But generally the game virtually ignores non-quest related deaths in the greater Commonwealth area, as there is no "karma" system or "faction affinity" system in FO:4.

Hmmm, blowing up a vehicle with a "friendly" NPC from any other faction standing next to it though, WILL turn that faction hostile (such as Traders, Atom Cats, etc.)

all commonwealth factions are self delusional and will not accept any other -- for any reason

except maybe

death

that faction they all follow

I like where this is going.