Will this steam workshop type thing affect nexus?

bcooper56

I think it is a valid gripe. I don't like ads. And I honestly am not going to waste money on premium membership no matter how cool I think the nexus must be. And I am positive a LOT of people will think the same just on that principle. Steam is very popular and valve can do no wrong in the fans eyes it seems

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see Steam workshop as affecting the nexus in any major way. Modders who wish to have their mod viewed by the widest audience will likely post it using both services, so it will in most cases be a matter of preference as to which service an individual uses.

I doubt they will start charging for mods, for two reasons. Firstly, making mods widely available increases the game's lifespan, meaning that the game will have more sales. Secondly, if they did start charging for mods, quite a few people would refuse to use the workshop anyway and would turn to alternate methods of distribution. Skyrim uses a very simple system for installing content, meaning that literally any website can host mods.

• 1 month later...
I hate steam as well as far as im concerned it forced its way on to my computer by being included with crap i wanted i never looked for it to install. It became a necessary evil if i wanted to play certain games. I also think they're putting all this money into the steam workshop for a reason. No big business spends resources and money not expecting to get anything in return. They will eventually have micro transactions for mods its just a matter of time and the more people who use steam workshop are just helping them out. To everyone their own but ill stick with nexus unless they turn to the steam business model as far as mods are concerned.

Steam can't "force" itself onto your computer, no one made you install it just like how no one made you buy the game.

I love how people use the word forced like Bethesda made them buy skyrim and install Steam at gunpoint.

"as far as im concerned it forced its way on to my computer by being included with crap i wanted i never looked for it to install"

That's what i said although its cute you couldn't read a complete sentence.

"as far as im concerned it forced its way on to my computer by being included with crap i wanted i never looked for it to install"

I did read your entire post, and its wrong.

when you buy the game you are showing an agreement or willingness to everything in it.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

I did read your entire post, and its wrong.

when you buy the game you are showing an agreement or willingness to everything in it.

And a person should embrace whatever that might be included with that? Or not say how they disagree with how spyware is bundled with the game they bought?