Am I the Only One Frustrated at Figuring Out which Settlement Mods to Use?

Aeradom

I don't recall this issue every occurring to me when I played Skyrim. Oh sure; there are texture mods that overwrite one another up the wazoo. But I never notice the overwrites as it just takes the one with the higher priority. With this, I go into OCD lockup trying to figure out what mods to install. You have the big mods that add stuff like SSEX, Homemaker, Alternate Settlements, and I'm sure a couple of others I'm forgetting. Then there are the mods that add items to it like SOE or OCDecorator - Static Loot and by the end, I'm just ready to throw up my hands in frustration.

I know all of them can be used together (at least most of them can), but I don't want to have to deal with 80-90% the same. And I know that the mods can be combined, as I saw Etheron write up some tutorial. I just wish there were a video version showing how to merge them as I don't do so good having to read that much text. Plus I don't even know how long it would take.

So I guess what I'm looking to ask what the housing mods people use are? Do they just throw them all together and don't have issues in the game going through them all to find something? Or better yet, if you were limited to two or three mods that would add stuff to decorate your settlement, what would they be?

I look at those mods like this..

What do they add? -- Don't download something because of a few pretty screenshots. Take a hard gander on what it does.

Will I use what the mod adds? -- It's pointless to download a mod whose assets you won't use.

Are there patches for said mod? A warning in my mind, is if it requires patches to be compatible with dlc.

Imo, all you really need is a couple of the bigger settlement mods. Like settlement objects expansion pack. *Shrugs* It meets most of my needs. I also have a couple weird ones like adding in bioshock posters.

Nah I'm pretty frustrated with it too. I like OCD cause it adds a small items, I like that Homemaker and SSEX add things like beat up cars and whatnot. What I really want though is a settlement mod that adds Prefabs. wooden prefabs, metal prefabs stone prefabs and warehouse/barn prefabs. Vault prefabs that add prebuilt sections/rooms for those of us that are less talented in building than others. I like the concept of Snap n Build, Modular Housing etc but the build menus are so daunting to me that I don't even attempt it.

I've tried Homemaker, SSEX, OCDecorater and I can't use them, I crash a lot more when they are active, they add way to many things to the menus for me. I wish someone would make a prebuilt save that doesn't have the quests complete, areas found(aside from settlement markers) and uses only vanilla asset/dlc items.

Current settlement mods:

Brighter Settlement Lights

Construction Light Config

DoItYourshelf

Manufacturing Extended

No More floating Razorgrain

Simple Intersection

Snappable Junk Fences

Vault 88 More Vault Rooms(though I may remove since I can't build a vault for the life of me)

Better Vault Corners(same as above)

Better Stores

Crops Give more Food

Remove Turret Power Requirement

Immersive Vendors

Scrap Dead Things

Edited by Juromaro

I look at those mods like this..

What do they add? -- Don't download something because of a few pretty screenshots. Take a hard gander on what it does.

Will I use what the mod adds? -- It's pointless to download a mod whose assets you won't use.

Are there patches for said mod? A warning in my mind, is if it requires patches to be compatible with dlc.

Imo, all you really need is a couple of the bigger settlement mods. Like settlement objects expansion pack. *Shrugs* It meets most of my needs. I also have a couple weird ones like adding in bioshock posters.

Let me ask you something; do they have a differing feel to them? From what I recall back earlier in the year Homemaker was more for someone wanting a cleaner more pristine settlement whereas SSEX is more lore friendly, at least to the wasteland itself. And speaking of differences, what it's the difference between OCDecorations and SOE pack?

Nah I'm pretty frustrated with it too. I like OCD cause it adds a small items, I like that Homemaker and SSEX add things like beat up cars and whatnot. What I really want though is a settlement mod that adds Prefabs. wooden prefabs, metal prefabs stone prefabs and warehouse/barn prefabs. Vault prefabs that add prebuilt sections/rooms for those of us that are less talented in building than others. I like the concept of Snap n Build, Modular Housing etc but the build menus are so daunting to me that I don't even attempt it.

I've tried Homemaker, SSEX, OCDecorater and I can't use them, I crash a lot more when they are active, they add way to many things to the menus for me. I wish someone would make a prebuilt save that doesn't have the quests complete, areas found(aside from settlement markers) and uses only vanilla asset/dlc items.

Current settlement mods:

Brighter Settlement Lights

Construction Light Config

DoItYourshelf

Manufacturing Extended

No More floating Razorgrain

Simple Intersection

Snappable Junk Fences

Vault 88 More Vault Rooms(though I may remove since I can't build a vault for the life of me)

Better Vault Corners(same as above)

Better Stores

Crops Give more Food

Remove Turret Power Requirement

Immersive Vendors

Scrap Dead Things

Yeah, those aren't the mods I was referring too. Honestly, I consider a lot of those staples like scrap dead things (I'd probably use spring cleaning) and snappable junk fences (that pissed me off more than anything when I first played the game was those damn gaps!)

Oh I have this problem too sometimes.

Though I will say my biggest issue right now is after playing for a while and building up a few settlements I find there is a lot of stuff in the building menu that I don't use or could live without but I am no longer sure exactly what mod added what in many cases. My MISC decoration section takes me forever to scroll through to find the stuff near the end. I probably could cut a few of my mods out because I don't use most of it but I am afraid there are one or two things I use fairly often. The other items not being used are not really hurting me being available but it's a real pain to have to constantly scroll through the menus to find the stuff I want.

What would be really REALLY nice is a way for me to sort a menu. Like move the stuff I use often to the front of the line and stuff I hardly ever use to the end. If there is and I haven't figured it out yet please tell me. There is a tag that says mark for search or something on my game but it is always grayed out and does nothing. (seriously I am never going to build an ash tray.. why is it always the first thing that shows up in my misc decorations?)

My 100% will never get rid of settlement mods are

Scrap Everything

Place anywhere

Solar panels

Snappable junk fences

improved shack bridges

Half width shack walls

DIY clutter

I also am fairly attached to these...but probably could live without them if I had to.

Wooden prefabs extended (The base shacks have added supports under them which makes placing them sooo much easier Plus I like the watch tower thing it comes with)

Better stores

Improved workshop lights

Increased Build Limit 4k

Homemaker (This one has so much I don't use but there are a few things I use all the time. Some of the fences/barriers and the landscaping/plant items I love.)

Craftable Cats and Craftable dogs (because cats and dogs are awesome)

I also used the creation kit myself to increase some of the defense values on turrets so I don't need so many and to increase the passive power range on the solar panels and pylons so I don't need as many connectors and wires.

Learn how the building menus and the static/constructible objects work. I prefer FO4edit to make changes in my own menue structure, it is faster and easier to manage.

It maybe takes a few hours to understand, but actually it is pretty simple.

There are nice tutorials on youtube, e.g. from elionora.

• 1 year later...

i just stopped to use any settlemenst building mods and only build vanilla now, cause every mod that added building objects conflicted somewhere , with me loosing whole categories like wood or the raider stuff was missing and/ or many objects just didnt had navmesh and as good as it looked settlers just didnt use it, really frustrating