Skyrim Audiobooks

Emmarae

I played the recordings back through my usual speakers, so I'm guessing that's what added the bass. I'll check future recordings through headphones then, cheers for the tip. As for input levels, I'm using Audacity, so I'm guessing I just decrease the mic input slider? Or is it something else?

I'm guessing the background noise wasn't too bad then on the newer files?

Also check your Mic Input in your Control Panel and make sure it's not turned up too loud there, because I noticed very slight distortion/clipping

in the louder areas of the parts you recorded, and those should be coming out nice and clear, so you might have a too strong signal somewhere in your Recording Device Properties

that you might want to back off of slightly.

Does Audacity have the ability to display the Input Level Meters while recording?

If so, don't even record and read some stuff into the microphone and just take note of how high your signal goes, it's OK to see a couple of quick peaks into the Yellow every once in a while,

but if you see any Red at all just back down the recording level slightly. 4 to 6 inches away from the mic will help get your signal in there and mask any noise while you're talking

the in between hiss wasn't as pronounced with the new Mic, because your signal was much louder in comparison to the background hiss.

It's also possible to mute the hiss during silence with a very careful application of noise gate,

To successfully set up a noise gate so it only eliminates the hiss and not your voice, you should loop a section of your audio file where there is nothing but the background hiss and looking at the level meter and note the highest level the hiss reads on the VU meter.

So if the hiss topped off at -54, I'd set my noise gate to -53, and everything below -53 Db would be muted.

So then apply the noise gate to the ENTIRE file, and you should'nt hear anything when you aren't talking.

If pieces of what you're saying are getting chopped off, then your Audio Voice part is below the threshold that the noise gate stops noise, so be sure to keep the difference between your level and the hiss a big one.your levels

That's why it's important to have a good signal to noise ratio, the bigger the difference between YOUR signal and any noise, the easier it is to remove it.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone!

Great idea for a mod! I was directed here by a lovely fellow named Psychohamster who said I might be able to squeeze my way in on some of the voice work? I am a semi-pro voice actress with a professional mic set in my home base and I am also voice trained. I can do a few accents for you, as well.

Here is my demo audio. I hope you can take the time out of your work to sneak a peek at it. :)

http://social.bioware.com/project/1120/

Lucy xx

Edited by Guest

Hi everyone!

Great idea for a mod! I was directed here by a lovely fellow named Psychohamster who said I might be able to squeeze my way in on some of the voice work? I am a semi-pro voice actress with a professional mic set in my home base and I am also voice trained. I can do a few accents for you, as well.

Here is my demo audio. I hope you can take the time out of your work to sneak a peek at it. :)

http://social.bioware.com/project/1120/

Lucy xx

Sounds great! Check your Personal Messages. It'll be nice to have a woman-voice on the team. Now I can legitimately do "The Lusty Argonian Maid" :3

Oh and FYI, your voice work is phenomenal! Great addition, if we'd have you.

Edited by Emmarae

None taken at all. I can understand why it could be offensive, so how about this one? Toned it down and tried to make the writer sound a bit more savvy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gg2i63au3r8tjb3

Out of curiosity as an American, and without starting any possible long drawn out flamewars, why is a cockney accent considered offensive?

None taken at all. I can understand why it could be offensive, so how about this one? Toned it down and tried to make the writer sound a bit more savvy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gg2i63au3r8tjb3

Out of curiosity as an American, and without starting any possible long drawn out flamewars, why is a cockney accent considered offensive?

I too was wonndering this.

I keep having to catch up to this thread when i get on the nexus, saw it when it was first posted been watching, looks like you guy(s)/girl(s) are coming along nicely with this, i know when it is available i'll be one of your first downloads.