Whats your all time favorite RPG game.

drmfreezone

NES---Final Fantasy

SNES - Final Fantasy 4 or Chrono Trigger

Sega Genesis-----Beyond Oasis

Nintendo 64----The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

PS1---Toughest choice of ALL!!!! Either Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Cross or The Legend of Dragoon

PS2----Xenosaga Series

PS3---Mass Effect Series

PC-----Fallout 3 or New Vegas

Simply can't choose one!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's a bit cliche to say this, but it has to be Final Fantasy 7 for me. I remember the day it was released. I had put in a small down payment at KBToystore (back then things like pre-order were still considered as layaway or just down payments). But to my young mind back in 1997, I had completely forgotten it. That day I was picked up by my Mother who asked me if I had forgotten anything today.

Lo and behold, I was searching through my backpack when I looked up to see in her hand the most beautiful plastic container that I would ever see in my entire life.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING will ever beat the sight of that PS1 game. I played it for hours on end. I know the "in" thing is to complete a game in record breaking time, but I had no desire whatsoever to rush my experiences. I loved it, all 4 months of it. I laughed and cried as the story took me on a ride I had not been on nor had been able to appreciate as much as Final Fantasy 6 (3 for SNES) and had yet to be for future and past titles.

Other games that crafted me into a tried and true gamer of my time were the SNES Donkey Kong games, Sonic series, EVERY Mario and Zelda game I could get my hands on (except for Mario Teaches Typing. Just, just no. No.) Every Pokemon game, every JRPG that was roughly translated, every Open World game, every Dungeon game...

Wow... as I write this, It dawns on me the immense mountain of games that exist. And just how many of those are a part of the vast library of games that shaped me into the High Score Junkie I am now. Not even a fraction though, not even a fraction of that mountain...

Well, I'm gonna go downstairs now and look at the Final Fantasy 7 Cloud Tshirt I got with the game, which was a special promotional item that came from KBToystore for purchase of the game. I think if I ever have kids, I'll give it to them only if they play and complete Final Fantasy 7. And I think they will, if not for the shirt, then for the experience.

For me the best RPG of all time is hands down the Baldur's Gate trilogy. What Lord of the Rings is for fantasy novels Baldur's Gate is for RPG's. The supreme benchmark many try to copy but no one really achieves it. It's basically one huge game in three parts. Just like LotR. The Story was perfect. The immersion was perfect. And the gameplay was basically perfect as well. It's also a very long game with so many stuff one can do besides the main quest and so many interesting characters to get to know. BioWare really created the masterpiece with their first ever game they did. They used to programm software for medical purposes before.

The close second place on my list would be also a BioWare game in Star Wars: Knights of the old republic. That game was so good that I played straight through it two times in a row just because I wanted to experience another way of choices. Before that I basically never played through a game two times except for games that are meant to be, like Diablo. Unfortunately the sequel couldn't live up to the greatness of the first game.

The third place goes to Final Fantasy VII, the RPG I had the strongest emotions about when Sephiro killed the lovely Aeris. Overall the game is just awesome. They really should remake it with modern technology, gameplay and professional voice acting.

Other noteworthy RPG's are Dragon Age Origins for it's gameplay and lore (the books in addition are really interesting), the Fallout series, Jade Empire, Mass Effect (still want to play the 2. & 3. game), Morrowind and Oblivion.

Oh, the agony of choice!

Possibly some bending the defintion of RPG's here, but I loved playing all these over the years:

Deus Ex (still my number 1)

Oblivion & Morrowind

Fallout 3

ICO (RPG ?)

No-one Lives Forever (RPG ?)

KOTOR 1 & 2

Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2

STALKER (RPG ?)

Mafia

Gothic 3

Risen

Call of Cthulhu (RPG ?)

The Suffering (RPG ?)

and a true hidden gem in my opinion:

Arx Fatalis...

...amazing atmosphere, humour and gameplay. Recommend any RPG fan to give a try :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ive been playing skyrim for 3 years my highest lvl character is a 300 brenton. Friend sudjested i try out skyrim redone and the helgon reborn mods. I already installed Helgon and trying to get skyrim redone mod to work but I cant find the survivalism moduel. all othe moduels are in order. I would love to give this skyre mod a shot.

Please Help.