Whats your all time favorite RPG game.

drmfreezone

While I am pretty addicted to Elder Scrolls (Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim) and Fallout (3 and New Vegas), I started playing RPGs with Pokémon and they are still favourites of mine, but my all time favourite RPG is the JRPG "MOTHER 3" (yes, the capitalisation is required). I could tell you exactly why this is my favourite game, not just my favourite RPG, but We'd be here all day, so I shall explain with the official tagline: Strange, Funny and Heartrending. It is an odd game, it is a very funny game (in both dialogue and animation), and it is one of the only works of fiction that has left me in tears by the end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mhm.

In no particular order.

Baldur's Gate 2 - just has it all. Memorable characters, an epic journey and lots and lots of exploration.

Darklands - the most interesting idea for a sandbox RPG ever. To bad it was buggy as hell, and by the time MicroProse had the errors sorted out, it had fallen out the development curve.

Fallout: New Vegas - the proof that you can make a sandbox RPG and still have an interesting story and great NPCs and companions.

Fallout 2 - went where no CRPG had gone before or after in regard to morality and shades of grey.

Planescape: Torment - an RPG for grownups that did not insult the players intelligence. That it close to a one time only as well.

Planescape Torment

Baldurs Gate (Complete series with expansions)

Deus Ex (Original)

Morrowind

Mass Effect series

Dragon Age Origins

Fallout series

Really enjoyed Wizardry 8 as well.

The one that's chewed up most time... either FONV or Skyrim. Must have over a 1000 hours clocked for each of them.

• 2 weeks later...

My first real PC was an old TRS80. I played games like Zork, Xenos and various other text based rpg games. But my enjoyment of all RPG games came from good old Pencil & Paper Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. My imagination blossomed from that game. I started reading fantasy fiction of all kinds and as games evolved I gobbled up games like Balders Gate and all of it's sequels (Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment etc.). I would have to say without my RPG games I would have been a totally different person. I doubt I would have been in the rock bands I played in (and wrote music & lyrics for:inspired by my RPG fueled imagination!) Nor would I have my beautiful daughter or my Wife for that matter.( My wife is not the mother of my daughter, unfortunatly. )

While I am rooted firmly in reality, my quick wit and fun personality are due in large part to RPGs.

squibjb66

'Make your own luck.'

For me, it's a tie between Tales of Symphonia and Eternal Sonata.

Tales of Symphonia had the most gripping 80 hour (minimum) storyline, and the replayability was excellent. It was like living in an amazing fantasy novel, and I'm not ashamed to say parts of it brought tears to my eyes. It was simply wonderful. I racked up over 300 hours of playtime on this game, and treasure every one.

Eternal Sonata was the first game I ever got for xbox 360, and it set the bar very high! The colours were amazing, and the ingenious way the creators wove the story of Frederic Chopin's life into it was truly innovative. The battle system was fun and quirky, and the musical elements of the gameplay were terrific. The only gripe I have with it is that the extended edition (2 new characters, more story, new places) was released on ps3 only, which I don't have.

Also worth a mention is Baten Kaitos, a pretty cool rpg with the worst english voice acting ever! If you look past it though, it was very well done, with amazing art and visuals, and an unique battle system.

Of course, I will always be faithful to Pokémon ;)

• 4 weeks later...

For me, it must be Earthbound/Mother 2. I am still unsure if I like it more then skyrim or not...

Edit...this doesn't belong in this section does it? If so I'm just gonna go rage for a minute.

Edited by AgentGman

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Let's start with a few oldies:

Baldur's Gate series

Neverwinter (this was pretty good until they tried to appeal to the generic RPG)

Dungeon Siege (Ignore III)

Newer ones:

Mass Effect Series

Final Fantasy Series

Fire Emblem (The latest one redeems all bad dialogue/plot)

The World Ends With You

Virtue's Last Reward (More of a visual novel but hey)

MMO's:

Guild Wars

Lineage II

APB:Reloaded (Okay, it's buggy as hell but god is it fun to play)