Whats your all time favorite RPG game.

drmfreezone

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was the Theif games. Then the Delta Force. Systemshock2. Arma2 is the only one near what deltaforce was on large maps. Fallout3. They gotta make a Fallout 5

If I've posted in this before, sorry. My memory sucks.

Fallout 3 is my favourite game of all time, followed by New Vegas. 3rd place would have to be either Oblivion or the original Fallout. (never played Morrowind, not finished Fallout 2.)

I don't really know if it counts, but probably God Of War and sequals. It's sort of ambiguous what genre it falls into, but it's a franchise I really, really like. It manages to not only make you feel genuinely godlike at times, but it also manages to make you feel genuinely attached and invested in the story, aswell as the game's egotistical, brutish and permanently angry antihero, kratos. It was also refreshingly hard, as in early God Of War titles, you had to buttonmash as if your life depended on it just to wrench some doors open, while some enemies could one-shot you if you were careless, and it's puzzles required a basic grasp of observancy and common sense, which is a lot more than many of it's comtempories.

For me, it's a true classic and a good example of a game done "just right"

After today I actualy feel I need to make a dramatic reversal about God Of War, in the previous two games, I had reached kill-screens, however, I had blamed this on old, pre-owned discs. However, when I recieved a near identicle kill-screen in the third installment, it became clear that it was more likely inept coding. A kill screen occurs when a game present an obstacle that is not achievable due to a programming failure, in all three cases, an endlessly repeating glitched animation during a boss fight that eventualy froze the game. A real pity, it had huge potential, let down by failure to bugtest?

Other than that, probably Borderlands; surprisingly complex and surprisingly deep, Borderlands was a hoot to play, especialy with friends. The massive progression, huge arsenal and sense of reward and advancement worked very well, and while it wasn't for everyone, it was lightyears better than virtualy every other half-baked RPS that followed in it's wake.

Other good ones? shortlist? KOTOR(True classic, pushed the boundaries of console graphics) all 3 Mass Effects(Very generic universe and shoddy ending, otherwise AAA+) Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising(Somewhat wierd idea of making an RTT into an Iso-RPG but it worked well, retribution was ungodly aweful) Diablo 3(Can't hold a candle to it's legendary forebears, but still a lightyear and a half better than the usual RPG)

Edited by Vindekarr

Mass Effect.

Okay I love the Elder Scrolls and Fallout (yeah all of TES and Fallout, even the first ones, which sometimes seem better) and plenty of other RPGs, but Bioware's games have the cinematic feeling I need to be obsessed with a game. Plus the characters are great. And they don't constantly call me a milk drinker and ask if someone stole my sweet roll or talk about how they took an arrow to the knee. I love Dragon Age (yes even the second despite the fact I was dissapointed in its lack of level diversity), but Mass Effect just... I don't know something about it got me. Its so full of emotion and beautiful places and action and excitement. I could play through all three hundreds of times (Oh.. I already have! Just kidding! But I have a lot) without any outside help (a.k.a. mods).

It just had so many moments that felt epic. And it seriously made me cry. I personally liked the ending, but I understand the complaints that it didn't give much on the impact across the galaxy (the other complaints were just crap).

Other than that, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic was one of my favorite games. I guess Borderlands is an technically an RPG, and I absolutely love that game. Just a really fun game, everything about it was fun. The characters, the fights, the missions... The Neverwinter Nights games were fun, until they were killed. I liked quite a few Final Fantasy games. VIII being my favorite when I still had ye olde Playstation. VII was fun too, though I'm not a Cloud fangirl (which many dudes happen to be). Two Worlds games. Fun and pretty, voice acting is CRAP in the first one, and animations are... well... not too great in either. But they have a good story, and amazing physics (Watch the freakin horse mane!!!! :ohmy: ). Uhm and Dues Ex and Dark Messiah. Yeah, out of all of these wonderfully amazing games, the Mass Effect series stands above all (at least to me, or until Dragon Age surpasses it).

I may be blind but i didn't see any of the "legendary-amazing-childish but so fun" PokéMon(s) ..

such a fantastique (gameboy) game needs to be in the RPG's most classical 8)

so here i am with my yellow - Emerald and Black/White version

another one that was left to rotten is Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner on PSP ... kinda PokéMon with a more "alive" feeling

and as i pass through my farming obssession of the last few days i could say Harvest moon is still a classic in RPG .

Thanx to all :D

When I played Oblivion, that topped my list. However, I then played Dragon Age; Origins, and that moved ahead. And then I played Mass Effect 2, and that was winning. And then I played Dragon Age 2, and that was winning. . . and then I played Kotor, and then Neverwinter Nights 2, then Morrowind. . (I know, the order in which I discovered these games is screwed up), and then Dark Souls, then Skyrim, then Kotor 2; TSL. . . among others.

Looking back in retrsospect, my all time favorite rpg is Dark Souls.

1. Dark Souls- Amazing gameplay, tons of lore, no quest JOURNAL (there are still some quests- but no fetch quests :P) or objective markers, great interactivity, tons of hidden options, seamless open world, not n00b friendly, pvp and co-op online, New Game+. Many options; Crafting, upgrading, large variety of useful spells, various types of melee from fist weapons to swords to axes to spears and daggers and more, kill any npc (even the important ones), multiple endings, Covenants, archery (crossbows and longbows), functional hotkeys, bosses, transform into a dragon-thing (better than a werewolf), level ups don't affect loot drops, double-hand any weapon, no perks (real level ups). After the prepare to die edition releases, I may never need to play another action-centric game again. For characters and story, though, I'll stick with Bioware.

2. Dragon Age 2- Don't ask me to justify this. I know that, objectively, the game isn't great, but I loved the characters, and they made the game for me. My party was Merrill, Aveline, Varric, and a Spirit-Healer Male Mage Hawke. I got all of their friendships maxed by the endgame. I sided with the mages.

3. Mass Effect 2- Obviously it had to be on the list somewhere. I love you, Tali. Also, Mordin and Garrus. I bought ME 1, and plan to play it, then re-play ME 2 in order, so with that in mind, this game may move up in the future. . . not sure if I'm ever going to finish ME 3, though I'll try it at some point. I may just switch it off before the ending. Or I may force myself to believe that the human reaper in ME 2 was the main reaper, and ME 2 was the end of the story. :P

4. Dragon Age: Origins- It's only this low on my list because sometimes characters seemed to miss shockingly obvious implications to actions. Got a little frustrating. Also, the combat is rough at best. I wouldn't mind if it just weren't good, as it's not really a combat-centric game, but there are often animation bugs for me, which break immersion. Maybe it's just my copy, but I have to rate the one I played.

5. Skyrim- Quite good, but vanilla graphics are worse than Dark Souls or ME 2. Combat and lore appeal less to me than Dark Souls. Character graphics are good, (very good, with a little help from Xenius), but they lack dialogue and good AI.) Huge landscape, but too many load times.

Edited by Aegrus

1. Fallout New Vegas- First modern game( and the only one as of now ) to have true, almost unlimited freedom of choice

2. Restored KOTOR 2- Best Star Wars story ever made mainly for breaking the monotony of evil Sith empire VS noble jedi and the republic

3. Mass Effect 2- best in the series and one of the few games to truly have both good combat and good RPG elements

4. Deus Ex: HR- didn't play the first two games but this one is great

5 Alpha Protocol- great as an RPG but only somewhat good at combat

Obsidian FTW!

Edited by macaren15