Is Fallout 4 Modding Scene Dead ?

Aeradom

I've picked up DC Interiors and NV Interiors again. (What can I say interiors are my thing!) But the big difference is that in Beantown Interiors Glass Windows open world are the main focus not the novelty like in my older mods. In DCInt/NVInt I did the glass windows (Fake open world) because they were cool, in Beantown Interiors I'm avoiding loading screens unless I need to use them. I've only done one load screen interior that doesn't have a reason for the loading screen.

So yes Priorities for modders have changed! This also means my interiors take longer to make, are more complicated and harder in many ways but in my opinion are much cooler.

Not a Maxwells world in of them selves but, still fit the point of changed priorities for modders and a slowdown of mod updates.

Edit: With my mods new style the only way I can whip out an interior in a few hours or less then a day and a half is to add an interior to an out house in the game. and most of them are already open world interiors. :laugh:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having to wait the more than 6 months after release for beth to release the mod tools though was not okay and didn't help the feeling that they were stalling the CK so they could make more settlement DLC. Having to wait as long as we did hurt the fanbase and frankly I think hurt modding.

I never said it was a good thing. I agree that the long delay may have permanently harmed the community in ways we may not notice for years. I doubt it had much to do with DLC though. Their Bethesda.net launch didn't go quite as nicely as they'd hoped and the delays on getting that shitty Jive stuff into barely useable shape was what caused most of the problems.

I was simply telling the previous poster that his assertions were wrong, nothing more.

Having to wait the more than 6 months after release for beth to release the mod tools though was not okay and didn't help the feeling that they were stalling the CK so they could make more settlement DLC. Having to wait as long as we did hurt the fanbase and frankly I think hurt modding.

I never said it was a good thing. I agree that the long delay may have permanently harmed the community in ways we may not notice for years. I doubt it had much to do with DLC though. Their Bethesda.net launch didn't go quite as nicely as they'd hoped and the delays on getting that shitty Jive stuff into barely useable shape was what caused most of the problems.

I was simply telling the previous poster that his assertions were wrong, nothing more.

My appologies for coming off as combative that wasn't my intention. Note to self don't post comments to things when you get off a stressful shift from work.

Fallout 4 modding is very much alive and well in my eyes. We must realize what types of mods we like and want to see vs what is being produced. For instance, AWARHERO's Japanese Decor pack fits me perfectly as I personally like the Japanese decor style. Same goes with The Laser Cannon mod as it adds a new variable to FO4 to accomplishing the goal of demolishing enemies as quickly as possible.

As pointed out, there are many variables at play to decide upon one's opinion of the modding scene. What we want may not be available, maybe yet, but what is available isn't exactly indicative of the overall modding scene. With the various projects I know about, the FO4 modding scene is far from being 'dead'.

Honestly, it's like a flower, it needs time to blossom...once it does you need to maintain the flower, water the flower give it sunlight...play soothing intro songs to it... read to it with insight on what kind of flower it is, and what it does and how it effects other plants in the garden... fallout 4 modding scene is far from dead, the nexus community has a lot of very talented veterans and newcomers tending to their gardens, the really good stuff takes time.. trust me New Vegas is a prime example of the blossom effect. Fallout 4 will be an even beautiful'r flower.

:D

Edited by Spurklicon

The phrase is it dead. Applied to anything non living makes no sense to me. - No is the answer as people are still modding. No is the answer to games that people are still playing.

Is it active. The only real difference percentage wise to most other moddable games, skyrim and oblivion being clear exceptions, is the big patch that wrecked a lot of mods. Else those mods would still work and you'd not notice any difference. Not just dented them, wrecked them, so some were indeed abandoned and could do with being put in archive categories. Fallout 3 had a similar patch where they screwed up esp's and navmeshes, and wrecked a lot of mods mid way through its lifecycle. I know because at the time I had a huge one in the works that I had to junk sadly, heavy on locations and it never recovered. Which sucked as i'd sunk maybe a thousand hours into it, even had testers on an earlier version.

Skyrim is just a hugely successful game, and has more in it. Quests, factions, lore depth. Oblivion again same deal. Not to say F4 wasn't fun for me, it was. It just wasn't on the same scale a game, as Skyrim, Oblivion, for me. As i've seen whats in F4, for the most part, already. As time goes on the bar gets higher for new experiences, part of that is because of when oblivion and skyrim were made, they were each breakthrough games pushing the bar, and experiencing those types of wow games keeps me interested longer. For me Morrowind and fallout 2 did this too but I digress.

Edited by Markmid

I understand more now the "ambient mood" that i'm feeling with the differents opinions exposed here. And i'm still unable to extract any construtive paths to follow from it. No offense, i'm just a rationnal animal.

I've a simple opinion wich mean a lot more that just the sentences, for those wich like to meditate.

I'm a player before all, and sometimes, something is pushing me to install a modding tool to extend the pleasure. Starting from scratch with the pleasure of the discover. I don't consider it as a "work" or a "life project", just an extension of the game.

With Oblivion, i've passed my time to study the documentation and the possibilities of OBSE. Like 3 hours of reading for 1 hour of intensive experiments. Within 1 month, the little utility tool that i needed in game was finished and rockstable.

With FO4, i pass my time to search for documentation. Like 3 hours of google and search engines in multiple websites, for one hour of reading/study (when i'm lucky and when i can transpose the Skyrim's tutorials). With 0 experiments. I'm far from the pleasant times of Oblivion, and i don't want to feel in every corner that i have to become a dev to dare something, or to dare to ask something. I feed my family with the tatoos i put on the skin of people, and it's not in my projects to change that until i die. More, i will not ask to someone to get all my skills and experience in one day just because he/she ask me how to draw a little butterfly in his bag.

Modding might not be dead, but I feel like F4SE is now only for folks that know C++/some other language to make plugins.

Kind of unrelated to the topic, but I really wish Bethesda would just have exposed part of the source code, rather than implement a half-baked scripting API.

The need to have a layer of Papyrus or what-have-you on top of the C++ gives me the heebie jeebies. Also, if they allowed manual hooks into their source code from the CK, there wouldn't be the need for any script extenders.

What I mean is, instead of having to deal with the scripting nonsense GetActor...etc, you could manually access the actor object using function calls.

You could extend the classes with more functionality, etc. There would most likely be some kind of community mod patch like AWKCR Keywords to consolidate everyone's work.

This scripting intermediary has kept me away from making complex mods that I want to make just because I don't want to deal with learning the special snowflake environment.

I am almost tempted to say the reason they didn't do this from the beginning (Morrowind) was they began with using proprietary/3rd party engine libraries (graphics, Havok, speedtree, etc) with licensing which required the devs to make it opaque to the users. Nothing against 3rd party libraries, but if they wanted the games to be this moddable, maybe using open source alternate libraries would have been better? I don't know.

I mean there is the OpenMW project that is attempting to remake Morrowind using completely open source engine, so modders can have total access to the guts. I like this idea.

I actually said what I said out of anger towards the F4SE team, thinking they "abandoned" the project and just left it to the benefit of those who know C++. However, I take back my stance on that, having read a post concerning the issues they are having with Fallout 4 and now Skyrim SSE. It's identical to what the Nifskope team has gone through when Blender changed how the modeling program "talks" to Python - they had almost no documentation to go by when Blender shifted to 2.5x and onward.

But I do agree with most of what you said. Scripting in Oblivion was apparently pretty easy, then Skyrim came along and someone decided to make it work similar to one of the big programming languages while being stricken with maddening limitations. You can get crafty with Papyrus and not even use a script extender, but once you run into the limitations you start needing one.