LOOT - Sort Order - Doesn't work for me

agm89

Hi,

I keep seeing LOOT being recommended, but as far as I can figure the auto sort plugin feature doesn't work. It just shuffles s#*! around.

Here are my mods, in LOOT's determined order with exception of Scrap Everything which I have to keep manually moving to the bottom.

Looking for advice on how to A) make the sort function work properly or B) a guide/list/suggested order that I can manually program/save.

I am having the bug where there's a ton of missing textures in Vault 88 and can't do that DLC anymore. Thanks in advance!

*DLCRobot.esm
*DLCworkshop01.esm
*DLCCoast.esm
*DLCworkshop02.esm
*DLCworkshop03.esm
*DLCNukaWorld.esm
*ArmorKeywords.esm
*ConcealedArmor.esm
*Snap'n Build.esm
*Homemaker.esm
*SettlersRename.esp
*BetterSettlersNoLollygagging.esp
*BetterSettlers.esp
*BetterSettlersCleanFacePack.esp
*BetterSettlersFarHarborPatch.esp
*AkaMoveYourWorkbench.esp
*AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches.esp
*AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - Ballistic Weave.esp
*AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - No Crafting Perks.esp
*AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - Power Armor Carry Capacity.esp
*Lots More Female Hairstyles.esp
*CBBE.esp
*Roy Preset.esp
*Caelan Preset.esp
*ValdacilsItemSorting-00-ValsPicks-DLCVersion.esp
*ImmersiveScrapping_Automatron.esp
*ImmersiveScrapping_FarHarbor.esp
*ImmersiveScrapping_VaultTecWS.esp
*Scavver's Toolbox.esp
*25% Fusion Core Drain.esp
*Armorsmith Extended.esp
*BasementLiving.esp
*SuperMutantOverhaul.esp
*Wild West Radio.esp
*OWR.esp
*OWR_CraftableDecor.esp
*OWR_CraftableDecor_CW.esp
*LongerPowerLines3x.esp
*EveryonesBestFriend.esp
*Quieter Settlements - Recommended Settings.esp
*LooksMenu.esp
*ConcealedArmor.esp
*Lots More Facial Hair.esp
*KSHairdos.esp
*LooksMenu Customization Compendium.esp
*AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp
*Ish's Respec Mod.esp
*def_inv_scrap_en.esp
*ImmersiveScrapping.esp
*TheMobileMechanic.esp
*CompactCrafting.esp
*Eli_ArmourCollection.esp
*FAR.esp
*LegendaryModification.esp
*LegendaryModification2LM.esp
*LegendaryModification2LMAKPatch.esp
*LegendaryModificationMisc.esp
*LegendaryModificationGroknak.esp
*WastelandFashion.esp
*WastelandFashionAccessories.esp
*Wasteland Fashion Armorsmith Patch.esp
*funcweddingrings.esp
*Lacy Underwear.esp
*Armormsith All DLCs Patch.esp
*LegendaryModification - DLC Far Harbor.esp
*LegendaryModification - DLC Far Harbor (2LM).esp
*LegendaryModification - DLC Far Harbor (2LM Concealed).esp
*WET.esp
*Waterworld - Very Translucent.esp
*Homemaker - Greenhouse and Bunker Disabler.esp
*Homemaker - Streetlights Use Passive Power.esp
*Synth Overhaul.esp
*Grasslands - Healthy.esp
*Vivid Weathers - FO4.esp
*Vivid Weathers - FO4 - Spring.esp
*Vivid Weathers - FO4 - Far Harbor.esp
*Vivid Weathers - Nuka World.esp
*NukaRadBans.esp
*OCDispenser.esp
*OCDecorator.esp
*OCD FarHarborDLC.esp
*SoundOfSilence-No_Events_music.esp
*SoundOfSilence-No_HP_Noise.esp
*SoundOfSilence-E.esp
*CBBE Furry Undergarments Fix.esp
*Scrap Everything - Core.esp
*Scrap Everything - Ultimate Edition.esp
*P220.esp

I can't tell from reading your post exactly what the issue is. Are you saying that LOOT is sorting your mods, but not in a way that you think is correct?

When you launch LOOT, it does a couple of things like making sure that the masterlist it's using is up to date. This should take a few seconds with a decent internet connection. After that, when you hit the "Sort Plugins" button, it examines the plugins to check dependencies that are hard-coded (such as masters). This may take a little longer, because it scans the headers of every file.

There's a set of 4 icons in the top right corner. If you hover over the "list" icon to the left of the arrow (4th from the right), it will say "Sort Plugins". You click that, it sorts your plugins, and lists warnings underneath the mod names if something looks wrong. It will still sort your mods, despite the warnings, though. After this is done, if it has changed anything, an "APPLY" button will appear near the "Sort Plugins" button. Hit APPLY, and the changes are saved.

Generated warnings are usually legit, so it's worth investigating if it gives you any.

FWIW, your list doesn't look to me like it's actually been sorted via LOOT.

If you want to manually sort the plugins (which IMO is a lot of error-prone work), you can use the masterlist from https://github.com/loot/fallout4, or C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\LOOT\Fallout4. The list is called masterlist.yaml, and it's not difficult to read, but not particularly human friendly either.

LOOT works perfectly fine. Sure, there's mods that are simply left at the bottom of the load order after having added them and used LOOT to sort, but that simply means that those mods have little to no influence on the game from whatever position thet are loaded.

LOOT checks which mods have priority over others and sorts them accordingly with the exception of a few which are 'misplaced' like the Scrap Everything plug-in or the No More Disappearing Act one, which should be sitting last in the load order but LOOT always adds them way up for some reason...

• 9 months later...

I do agree with Panurgy ... it looks like you did not hit the Apply button in LOOT, otherwise, I am pretty sure your load order will be much different.

Personally, this is my own procedure :

1 - Decide first what mods I will download / install, depending on my own way to play this game. I create a spreadsheet in which I keep all the info about the mod that I am going to install. NOTE : Before I download / install any mod ( when starting a new game ), I clean the game files and all DLC's.

2 - Go to the mod description and read everything, especially, compatibility and load order and important suggestions given by the author. I write down in my excel, the information that I do believe it is important to keep. Also, I read the posts about that particular mod and see what issues other players have found or what do they think about it.

3 - I proceed to download / install that mod. If the author says that the .ini or .prefsini should be modified, then as soon as I install the mod, I proceed to modify those files. That info is entered in my excel as well.

4 - I continue downloading / installing following the above procedure.

5 - When I am done, I use LOOT to sort and apply whatever LOOT decides.

6 - I then proceed to manually place any particular mod that was not sorted / placed correctly by LOOT in the right load order following the author's suggestions. For example, Scrap Everything should be placed all the way to the bottom of the load order. Basically, I stick to whatever the author of that mod suggests.

7 - Once I finish placing mods according to the author' suggestions, I proceed to SAVE my profile ( in NMM ). I save it twice to make sure it was saved.

8 - I export my load order ( using NMM ) so I have a copy in my desktop for future reference.

9 - I start playing my game.

10- Before playing the game ( the next day or any other ) I always check if my load order is the same. I have seen that NMM changes the load order sometimes. Don't ask me why or how, but I have seen it, so I make sure that my load order is the same all the time; that all my mods are activated ( checked ) in the plugins list and I start playing again.

In your list, I do not see the unofficial patch for this game.

Happy gaming, :cool:

• 1 month later...

LOOT orders mods by looking at them in a very rudimentary way to determine conflicts to pick the best order. I use it to sort my mods and I never have issues. If I did I would load all my mods, filter for conflict losers, and then add the proper data to LOOT so everyone would benefit from it. There is a Wiki for doing that.

Most people just look at the names and feel the order of the names can't be right without actually looking in FO4Edit for conflicts. Depending on the mod, order isn't important. The one thing people forget the most after loading mods is that a White background with Black text isn't the default color because it looks good that way, it means there are no other mods that modify that record. Put another way, no conflict with another mod.

• 2 weeks later...

After this latest update LOOT is not working correctly for me either. Now most of the mods appear just in alphabetical order which was not what it was doing before the update. I sort my order via LOOT before I go on to play every time and now some of my mods are not working like they used to. I do not remember the order before the update so I do not know how to change it back to what it was. Is it possible that LOOT needs an update or that Bethesda has made something interfere with how LOOT reads the mods?

After this latest update LOOT is not working correctly for me either. Now most of the mods appear just in alphabetical order which was not what it was doing before the update. I sort my order via LOOT before I go on to play every time and now some of my mods are not working like they used to. I do not remember the order before the update so I do not know how to change it back to what it was. Is it possible that LOOT needs an update or that Bethesda has made something interfere with how LOOT reads the mods?

That is very possible. 2 Critical things changed the other day that influenced most managers and tools, they changed the save game format, and they somehow bugged the load order with their new file format for CC.

Loot , wrye, fallrim tools are broken in this end.