Various Nexus related things from the Skyrim SE launch aftermath

Dark0ne

In response to post #44123950. #44128140, #44141640 are all replies on the same post.

shiftmaster21 wrote: Is this for all other games? cause as far as i've seen skyrim re only allows mods through bethesda.com, so none of that should be transferred to the nexus right?
UhuruNUru wrote: You know nothing, Bethesda couldn't stop us, even if they actually wanted to.
Most modders never use the in game manager, it's rubbish.
We just bypass that trash, and use something much better.

With old Skyrim that was Mod Organizer, and as it's creator, Tannin, is now the lead dev for a new NMM, we'll have to see what he can do for SE, in the future.

Modding is about taking control of the game, and doing exactly what you want.
Regardless of what the publisher, or developer says, or tries to stop.

They are outnumbered, and no matter what they do, a modder will get round it.
Look at how many mods Dragon Age Inquisitionm has, and EA tried to make modding that game impossible, but failed, in the end.

BGS actively encourages modding, which means accepting, that each user can control our own games.
Meatster wrote: "Cut off one head and two more shall take its place"

hail HYDRA!

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #44090720. #44095820 is also a reply to the same post.

nahuelst wrote: Creo que en realidad Nexus explotó. Cuando salió Fallout 4 yo podía descargar los mod sin problemas, y ahora qué?? Digan la verdad, metieron la mano donde no debían y rompieron todo.

Google translate

Nexus think actually exploded. When I came out Fallout 4 could download the mod without problems, and now what ?? Tell the truth, laid hands where they should not and smashed everything.

google translate
Daracus wrote: That's how you say "download" in Spanish!? I've been saying it wrong this whole time and no one told me! I feel like an idiot. :(

Anyway, thank you Nahuelst. You learn something new everyday!

almost dies laughing.

In response to post #44123740. #44124255, #44128340, #44132470, #44136065, #44140995, #44144085 are all replies on the same post.

CaptainSparkelz wrote: Why won't you guys upgrade your servers instead of shutting them down as soon as the load gets too high? For over a week now I've been unable to enjoy the convenience of downloading mods via NMM all because you keep shutting the servers down.

If it's a money issue I understand, but since your servers are sort of the most important thing that you currently own when it comes to maintaining your services. Logically that is where your priorities should lie.
Ethreon wrote: Did you really post this nonsense?
Dark0ne wrote: The issue isn't actually with the servers perse, it's with our code. So what we really need is more time, rather than more servers.
CaptainSparkelz wrote: Ahh, alright, I understand. Know that I wasn't trying to be a prick or anything with this, it's just I can get a little impatient sometimes. I appreciate the work you guys all do though, so don't take this post the wrong way.
slbrgt wrote: Let me start by saying that I really appreciate the work done by those who manage these nexus sites. It’s definitely the best thing that happened for modders and mod users of the supported games. I understand that the massive interest for SkyrimSE mods presents some challenges for hardware and software. On the other hand I also understand the OP’s message. It’s frustrating and annoying that still today it’s virtually impossible (for me in any case) to connect to nexus and download SkyrimSE mods. With the exception of hours when most people are either working or sleeping.
Meatster wrote: From what I gathered you can just download the mods manually and add them to nmm. simply add manually then choose the mod rar/zip file. Then when nmm will let you log in again you can update the ID of the mod.

That's how I think it works at least, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Edit: Also totally offtopic but a delete button for comments would be awesome.
Voldearag wrote: If there were deletable comments then nobody could be held accountable for anything they said, posts like CaptainSparkelz's up there would disappear as soon as they started getting negative feedback, and most arguments would vaporize after or before their conclusions, restricting the contenders and readers from learning from them.
Short version: Anything we put on the internet becomes the internet's property, posts included.
Edit: Then again there's an edit button and that's pretty close.

@Dark0ne. Beyond us (end users) needing to have patience...ironically this reminds me of the panic on Reddit whenever Fallout updates and FOSE goes down, people go bezerk and quite possibly cry...but I digress.
Is there or are there things we can do to help you with the coding/code (stuff even I the IT in the IT Crowd don't comprehend)?
I am a bit out of touch with torrenting these days but I do know Blizzard still uses a similar process for downloading. I may be in left field on that, but it could alleviate the overload....no wait I am in left field.
sighs, one moment you think you know what's going on and then the internet waves as it goes happily by.
Anyway, if we can help, drop us a line.
Thanks.

In response to post #44123740. #44124255, #44128340, #44132470, #44136065, #44140995, #44144085, #44150460 are all replies on the same post.

CaptainSparkelz wrote: Why won't you guys upgrade your servers instead of shutting them down as soon as the load gets too high? For over a week now I've been unable to enjoy the convenience of downloading mods via NMM all because you keep shutting the servers down.

If it's a money issue I understand, but since your servers are sort of the most important thing that you currently own when it comes to maintaining your services. Logically that is where your priorities should lie.
Dark0ne wrote: The issue isn't actually with the servers perse, it's with our code. So what we really need is more time, rather than more servers.
CaptainSparkelz wrote: Ahh, alright, I understand. Know that I wasn't trying to be a prick or anything with this, it's just I can get a little impatient sometimes. I appreciate the work you guys all do though, so don't take this post the wrong way.
slbrgt wrote: Let me start by saying that I really appreciate the work done by those who manage these nexus sites. It’s definitely the best thing that happened for modders and mod users of the supported games. I understand that the massive interest for SkyrimSE mods presents some challenges for hardware and software. On the other hand I also understand the OP’s message. It’s frustrating and annoying that still today it’s virtually impossible (for me in any case) to connect to nexus and download SkyrimSE mods. With the exception of hours when most people are either working or sleeping.
Meatster wrote: From what I gathered you can just download the mods manually and add them to nmm. simply add manually then choose the mod rar/zip file. Then when nmm will let you log in again you can update the ID of the mod.

Voldearag wrote: If there were deletable comments then nobody could be held accountable for anything they said, posts like CaptainSparkelz's up there would disappear as soon as they started getting negative feedback, and most arguments would vaporize after or before their conclusions, restricting the contenders and readers from learning from them.
Short version: Anything we put on the internet becomes the internet's property, posts included.
Castironwolf wrote: @Dark0ne. Beyond us (end users) needing to have patience...ironically this reminds me of the panic on Reddit whenever Fallout updates and FOSE goes down, people go bezerk and quite possibly cry...but I digress.
Is there or are there things we can do to help you with the coding/code (stuff even I the IT in the IT Crowd don't comprehend)?
I am a bit out of touch with torrenting these days but I do know Blizzard still uses a similar process for downloading. I may be in left field on that, but it could alleviate the overload....no wait I am in left field.
sighs, one moment you think you know what's going on and then the internet waves as it goes happily by.
Thanks.

funny... the code has worked for many years without issues. The errors I have been seeing do not apply to coding. They apply to bandwidth. I can only assume you use some third party for your server hosting. Probably godaddy, cloudflare or some other third party hosting service. I know it is painful Dark0ne, growth usually is. You should check into purchasing your own server instead of using a third party server. Right now NMM is shut down but people are still using the website and downloading, which means your bandwidth is still being used constantly and your server hosting provider will tolerate a little more before they start putting bandwidth limits on your account. I am already seeing it. I have clicked a few links in your website only to be taking to a bandwidth limit page.

In response to post #44123740. #44124255, #44128340, #44132470, #44136065, #44140995, #44144085, #44150460, #44152435 are all replies on the same post.

Castironwolf wrote: @Dark0ne. Beyond us (end users) needing to have patience...ironically this reminds me of the panic on Reddit whenever Fallout updates and FOSE goes down, people go bezerk and quite possibly cry...but I digress.
Thanks.
SkyrimPsycho wrote: funny... the code has worked for many years without issues. The errors I have been seeing do not apply to coding. They apply to bandwidth. I can only assume you use some third party for your server hosting. Probably godaddy, cloudflare or some other third party hosting service. I know it is painful Dark0ne, growth usually is. You should check into purchasing your own server instead of using a third party server. Right now NMM is shut down but people are still using the website and downloading, which means your bandwidth is still being used constantly and your server hosting provider will tolerate a little more before they start putting bandwidth limits on your account. I am already seeing it. I have clicked a few links in your website only to be taking to a bandwidth limit page.

funny... the code has worked for many years without issues. The errors I have been seeing do not apply to coding. They apply to bandwidth. I can only assume you use some third party for your server hosting. Probably godaddy, cloudflare or some other third party hosting service. I know it is painful Dark0ne, growth usually is. You should check into purchasing your own server instead of using a third party server. Right now NMM is shut down but people are still using the website and downloading, which means your bandwidth is still being used constantly and your server hosting provider will tolerate a little more before they start putting bandwidth limits on your account. I am already seeing it. I have clicked a few links in your website only to be taking to a bandwidth limit page.

The code hasn't worked for many years. We had stability issues until we sorted our database cluster out in 2015, something you wouldn't know as you only joined the site 2 weeks ago. Our code and cluster has never been tested with this much traffic before. We're currently seeing a 50% increase in traffic on our previous highest traffic time (FO4 launch) and a sustained 75% increase on our normal traffic conditions. We're up from 11,000 active users a second to 19,200 active users a second.

We have 13 cloud-based VMs with a total of 104 CPU cores and 320GB of RAM serving the site front-end. A database cluster of 5 dedicated servers with a combined total of 160 CPU cores and 960GB of RAM (yes, 960GB of memory) handling database operations. And almost all our files are served via a global CDN that's currently pushing an average of 15 Gbit a second (and is burstable to 100Git+). That's not even mentioning the multiple firewalls, DDoS protection, load balancers and so on and so forth that we utilise.

So when I say it's a code issue, it's a code issue. Don't try and call me on it when I obviously know a lot more about it.

RE: any bandwidth errors you may or may not have seen, our load balancers were capped at 300mbit/sec on our end, mainly to ensure we don't send more traffic to the VMs and cluster than they could handle. We've since upped that cap to 500mb/sec. That's completely unrelated to our CDN and file serving. Edited by Dark0ne

Now I see a lot of "You can still manually download so stop whining" on here. Yea thats all fine and dandy unless, ya know..... you CAN'T download manually. Honestly out of the 10 or so mods I have been trying to download this week, only 5 of them even started and only 2 actually completed. That was with using the mod manager, giving up, and attempting to download manually. Its not my down/up speeds because I can still face chat on skype perfectly fine with a youtube video loading in the background and pandora playing at the same time. Guess I'll use some other things to get the job done until the site is back to normal because this is just ridiculous.

In response to post #44123740. #44124255, #44128340, #44132470, #44136065, #44140995, #44144085, #44150460, #44152435, #44153325 are all replies on the same post.

Thanks.
SkyrimPsycho wrote: funny... the code has worked for many years without issues. The errors I have been seeing do not apply to coding. They apply to bandwidth. I can only assume you use some third party for your server hosting. Probably godaddy, cloudflare or some other third party hosting service. I know it is painful Dark0ne, growth usually is. You should check into purchasing your own server instead of using a third party server. Right now NMM is shut down but people are still using the website and downloading, which means your bandwidth is still being used constantly and your server hosting provider will tolerate a little more before they start putting bandwidth limits on your account. I am already seeing it. I have clicked a few links in your website only to be taking to a bandwidth limit page.
Dark0ne wrote:

The code hasn't worked for many years. We had stability issues until we sorted our database cluster out in 2015, something you wouldn't know as you only joined the site 2 weeks ago. Our code and cluster has never been tested with this much traffic before. We're currently seeing a 50% increase in traffic on our previous highest traffic time (FO4 launch) and a sustained 75% increase on our normal traffic conditions. We're up from 11,000 active users a second to 19,200 active users a second.

We have 13 cloud-based VMs with a total of 104 CPU cores and 320GB of RAM serving the site front-end. A database cluster of 5 dedicated servers with a combined total of 160 CPU cores and 960GB of RAM (yes, 960GB of memory) handling database operations. And almost all our files are served via a global CDN that's currently pushing an average of 15 Gbit a second (and is burstable to 100Git+). That's not even mentioning the multiple firewalls, DDoS protection, load balancers and so on and so forth that we utilise.

So when I say it's a code issue, it's a code issue. Don't try and call me on it when I obviously know a lot more about it.

RE: any bandwidth errors you may or may not have seen, our load balancers were capped at 300mbit/sec on our end, mainly to ensure we don't send more traffic to the VMs and cluster than they could handle. We've since upped that cap to 500mb/sec. That's completely unrelated to our CDN and file serving.

Thank you Dark One and your crew. I was able to log on in NMM and do some basic updates and downloads through the system (the preferred way) tonight. Thank you for the efforts and updates so that we can get the mods we so love easily and quickly.