A Theory on Why There is no Bound Armor

InuyashaFE

I was disappointed with the lack of bound armor, and even some bound weapons, but upon thinking, it seems that the alteration spells such as 'oakflesh' and 'stoneflesh' have replaced them.

You can no longer cast bound armor because to Bethesda, it would've been redundant. Meaning that now we simply have shielding spells.

Edited by InuyashaFE

I still want to see it modded back in, a full suit of ghostly looking armor would look sick.

The better choice would have been to keep the feature but find a good way to differentiate it's function from the alteration spells. Actually the need for skill in that type of armor already sets the spells apart from alteration, and then you could have a perk branch in conjuration to add "enchantments" to the armor.

Keeping cool features isn't really bethesda's thang these days though. Simpler to just chop them.

Edited by darkblayd

Keeping cool features isn't really bethesda's thang these days though. Simpler to just chop them.

Agreed

Bound armour, chopped.

Spellmaking, chopped.

Attributes, chopped.

Greaves, chopped.

And what did we get to replace these ?

Wood CHOPing

So this is just a cynical theory then?

Well for lore's sake lets just say that because the link between Mundus and Oblivion was severly weakened due to the Oblivion Crisis, its next to impossible to conjure up demonic armour since its physically in the other realm.

So this is just a cynical theory then?

Well for lore's sake lets just say that because the link between Mundus and Oblivion was severly weakened due to the Oblivion Crisis, its next to impossible to conjure up demonic armour since its physically in the other realm.

and yet you can summon 2 dremora lords...

I'm not thrilled about it being missing but it isn't too big a deal since it looks like magic is taught differently in Skyrim. Illusion does not govern paralyze. Necromancy isn't banned. Since alteration is used in skyrim for defense, it may simply be that summoning daedric items isn't in vogue in Skyrim and perhaps the rest of Tamriel. It makes sense since alteration doesn't require knowledge of heavy armor or blocking to be effective. There are also few battlemages in Skyrim and summoning in general seems to be held in especially low esteem after Oblivion.

The lack of spell creation however irks me to no end. As nice as it is to have each spell perform in a unique way, it does not help if you cannot use most of them in a fight because they have lost effectiveness. Even if Beth wanted to eliminate spell creation no matter what, they should have put some mechanism to adjust the damage of the spell. A sliding bar that increased mana cost for increased damage/lvl/duration would have sufficed.